Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What percent tint should I get??

Old 12-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Dirty South Division
Stumeister is on a distinguished road

Stumeister's Tacoma Gallery
What percent tint should I get??

Hey guys I want to get my tacoma windows tinted but I don't know by how much. I was wondering how much you guys got yours tinted. I like my privacy but I don't want it super super dark. Any ideas/pictures of yall's tints?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
depending on your state law. i believe 20% is a shade lighter 5% (limo)
Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
sschulz is on a distinguished road
sschulz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to sschulz
I have 35% on the front (Hawaii Law) and the back just has the factory 25% not too bad. Just remember that if you add to the back that you have to take in consideration the first 25%.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
im not sure what i have, i think i have 20 on the all doors and either limo or 20 on the back, whatever tx law allows....

hahah your askin us and none of us know, shoulda asked someone else!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
jmlromero09 is on a distinguished road
jmlromero09's Tacoma Gallery
i have 5% on the front and 15% on the back on top of the factory 35%.. its illegal but in nm its not enforced
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
stock tint on rear windows is 20%. i got 20% on my front to match and it was around $60. when youre parked in a bright area you can see through the windows, i'd honestly suggest going 10%, it'll look great and wont look too dark.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_hong View Post
stock tint on rear windows is 20%. i got 20% on my front to match and it was around $60. when youre parked in a bright area you can see through the windows, i'd honestly suggest going 10%, it'll look great and wont look too dark.
So you took the philosphy that CA cops won't enforce the front windows I guess. Did you have a shop do the tint? Did they give you any crap about them being illegal?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
I went to a local place called Audio Matrix. It's run by a couple of rich arab guys and they just have ridiculous sound systems and great prices. They do tint, sound systems, alarms, rims. My tint was about $60 for the front 2 windows, alot of places run the price up WAY higher than that.

Nobody in CA will really hassle you about putting tint on, if thye do they must be in a bad mood or just straight up a prick. I've had friends have dealerships ask if they wanted to tint the front when they bought the car.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #9

$60 is a great price. The local place up here wants $95 for the fronts and $150 for the sides and rear slider. I will still have it done but I think I need to shop around some more. Too bad gas isn't cheaper or I'd drive down to SoCal to have it done.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumeister View Post
Hey guys I want to get my tacoma windows tinted but I don't know by how much. I was wondering how much you guys got yours tinted. I like my privacy but I don't want it super super dark. Any ideas/pictures of yall's tints?

Thanks
BTW, I went here to determine state laws on this stuff if your interested.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Old 12-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
CornDog is on a distinguished road

CornDog's Tacoma Gallery
i got 15% on the 2 front sides and a 15% strip on the windshield actin like a visor. that really helps keep light out of cab and keeps it dark at nite. cant see me in the cab at nite and BARELY durin the day. plus it matches up close with the factory tint. only prob. is i was told the factory tint is mirror tint. and i couldnt find mirror tint n any shops where i live. u can see urself like a mirror in the back but not in the front.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I say stay legal but it's your call. I used to run around Jersey with the fronts tinted (not legal to tint fronts in NJ) and I'd get a warning every so often. Depends on what you want to deal with. At 36, I don't feel like getting pulled over, which they do around here in the winter months (no tourists so they nitpick locals), so I have the legal 27% and it matches up fairly well.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #13
Dude it's really not legal to tint your front windows at all but shit everyone does. No one is going to get caught or a ticket for it unless you piss off someone. end of story.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #14
deepsee is on a distinguished road

Army: Master Diver/Pilot
Name: Bobby
deepsee's Tacoma Gallery
I went to the tint shop and had them match tint from the back windows on my dble cab and they put 15% on the front now it matches looks good im in FL state law is 28% but dont know anyone who has gotten pulled over. But im going back to VA where the law is 35% on back window and 50% on the sides ive gotten my share of tickets there, i will just keep my trucks FL plates
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
AZsurfer13 is on a distinguished road

AZsurfer13's Tacoma Gallery
20% Tint

I put 20% tint all the way around and it looks great and makes it cooler in the summer. Its also is not too dark at night either, still able to see clearly, at least in my regular cab.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #16
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
So you took the philosphy that CA cops won't enforce the front windows I guess. Did you have a shop do the tint? Did they give you any crap about them being illegal?
They do in San Diego. I got a fix-it ticket for light tint on my car's front windows. I know a friend who gets tickets all the time for tinting.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
They do in San Diego. I got a fix-it ticket for light tint on my car's front windows. I know a friend who gets tickets all the time for tinting.
That's good to know. I think I'll stay legal while I'm in CA at least.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dude it's really not legal to tint your front windows at all but shit everyone does. No one is going to get caught or a ticket for it unless you piss off someone. end of story.
Ah, the old "but everyone does it" defense.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a friend who's daughter just got a fix-it ticket for window tint on the front windows. It was light tint on the front (5%). It happened about a month after she got it tinted. I remember telling him when she got it that she could be ticketed for it. She was pulled over specifically for that.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
eye one is on a distinguished road
eye one's Tacoma Gallery
I am trying to go dark as possible. I carry a couple metal detectors in the cab ($800 each) and don't want prying eyes looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
BTW, I went here to determine state laws on this stuff if your interested.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws

Thanks for the link, I think the Delaware law is incorrect in that link. It says 70% light must pass but I called around to different tint shops who all indicated it's illegal to put any tint on the front windows unless you have a doctors note. Some tint shops won't even do the work. My brother had 35% which is good for MD but Delaware made him take it off.

EDIT: Here's a PDF with State Laws I think is the same I think;
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...%207-19-07.pdf and another link that indicates 70% http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
Makes me wonder why tint shops say "no tint" yet the State law in De. say 70% light must pass. Is this a conflict or am I not understanding something?

Quote:
Not end of story, in Delaware you got to run the vehicle through inspection every 2-3 years and they check.