Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

disk vs. drums ?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #21
hans17 is on a distinguished road

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I keep hearing people say drums hold better too for the parking brake. I assuming this means when they are dry since drums can collect water/mud off roading.

Then again, the tundra has 4-wheel disc brakes right? The new one can tow 10,000lbs so it would have to hold better than the tacoma if parked on a hill with a 10k trailer so who really knows? lol

well i just tried my wife's rav4 emergency brake and even pulling it all the way it won't hold so good , maybe the tundra has it updated
Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 AM   #22

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
u are absolutely wright
Old 12-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #23
beondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of light

beondwacko's Tacoma Gallery
So I've had my X-Runner for a few days now and I'm being easy on everything for break in purposes including the brakes, but from what I had read before I bought the truck about the pedal being a little soft,,,,,,, it's true.

I Will for sure be doing the braided line upgrade. I had done this to a few of my other vehicles in the past and it really makes for an improved pedal feel. For $100- how could anyone go wrong? The only pita part of it is the bleeding. Let me offer one tip to those who are considering this. Buy a vacumn bleeder. It's the easiest way to do the job and more effective than pumping the pedal from my experience.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #24

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
calipers full floating or not ?

how about calipers are full floating calipers better than non full floating? what do you guys think about this ?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #25
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans17 View Post
how about calipers are full floating calipers better than non full floating? what do you guys think about this ?
Non floating calipers? Is there such a thing? Never heard of it - sounds like old technology.

The reason why they float, is so you get even pressure on both sides of the rotor and even pad wear on both sides. Not only that - but they 'self adjust' to compensate for pad wear. With disc brakes, the pads are just barely touching the rotors....(unlike drum brakes).

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/disc-brake.htm
Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #26

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
yeah but the tacoma calipers in front are not full floating
Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #27
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans17 View Post
yeah but the tacoma calipers in front are not full floating
Just did some research - cuz I was curious to know....
http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/brakes/brakes1.htm

And went out and looked at the truck. There are 4 pistons - 2 on each side.
Hmm...and this allows for less pressure & volume to operate.

This will be an interesting learning experience changing pads on these things. Never worked on a non-floating caliper before.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #28
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Just did some research - cuz I was curious to know....
http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/brakes/brakes1.htm

And went out and looked at the truck. There are 4 pistons - 2 on each side.
Hmm...and this allows for less pressure & volume to operate.

This will be an interesting learning experience changing pads on these things. Never worked on a non-floating caliper before.
It's easier than you could ever imagine. Compress the pistons in the caliper with a C-Clamp, pull a couple of pins, and the pads slide out the top. Drop the new ones in, reinstall the pins, pump the brakes, and you're done!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #29

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
now we are talking i know how to replace the pads my porsche has this kind of calipers but my question is full floating is better because when disk get hot they twist in a strange form and full floating calipers adjust to the disk while it is twisting , that is why when the disk get hot and twist if they get cool to fast they stay bent , that's when you feel the brake pedal go up and down while you brake.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #30
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
It's easier than you could ever imagine. Compress the pistons in the caliper with a C-Clamp, pull a couple of pins, and the pads slide out the top. Drop the new ones in, reinstall the pins, pump the brakes, and you're done!
Thanks - sounds pretty easy.

Does that mean there's 2 bleeder screws for each caliper? or is there a single one near where the fluid comes in? Not that I'll ever be bleeding my brakes anytime in the near future....
Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #31
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Thanks - sounds pretty easy.

Does that mean there's 2 bleeder screws for each caliper? or is there a single one near where the fluid comes in? Not that I'll ever be bleeding my brakes anytime in the near future....
You'd think I'd have paid more attention when I was under the truck, wouldn't you? I have no idea on this one. (Of course, ignorance isn't going to stop me from upping my post count by 1. )
Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #32
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
You'd think I'd have paid more attention when I was under the truck, wouldn't you? I have no idea on this one. (Of course, ignorance isn't going to stop me from upping my post count by 1. )

I have this tendency to *think* too much about stuff .... and yap and yap about wanting to know about things that really aren't important at the current time. I can thank my dad's genes for that.