Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

disk vs. drums ?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
hans17 is on a distinguished road

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
disk vs. drums ?

is there some kind of convertion kit for replacing the rear drums for disk brakes tacoma 2007? is it worth it?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
don't know, but my brakes work stellar, also it's easier to get an E-brake with drums than disc.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
LINK

heres one link...its for the entire kit...$899
Old 12-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
just my 2 cents worth

most of the stopping power is in the front brakes

the drums should last close to the life of the truck

why redesign a good working system?

so can't see much benefit for the average driver?
Couldn't agree with you more !
Old 12-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #5

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
you guy are better than an enciclopidia

well about the rear disc the web page was perfect, thxs. and about why change something thats o.k. already you guy's are correct. like i would say in spanish " ustedes estan brutales " well all i can say is that you know what your saying and are totally professionals.this forum is awesome
Old 12-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #7

appreciate the kind words
Old 12-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #8

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
well like i said you are wright

i saw the web page of 4wheel and you are wright better stick with drums .well guy thxs. for the info . i got a couple of planes to depart so see you guys tomorow thxs. once again
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Nitro_rc is on a distinguished road

Nitro_rc's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Also where do you go to get replacement pads and rotor when they are worn?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #10

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
????????

good answer probably it will be a problem
Old 12-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #11
beondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of light

beondwacko's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestion:

If you are unhappy with your brake "feel" in your truck, upgrade the brake lines to Braided Stainless. This will firm up the pedal bigtime and allow you better braking control overall.

The biggest downfall to drum brakes is brake fade. If you were to be on the brakes hard enough to cause the rear brakes to fade, I'd hate to see what the fronts looked like after an episode like that. Drum brakes also sometimes get "grabby" after getting wet.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans17 View Post
i saw the web page of 4wheel and you are wright better stick with drums .well guy thxs. for the info . i got a couple of planes to depart so see you guys tomorow thxs. once again
I'm not saying it can't be done.... but on these new trucks, I wouldn't mess with it unless you're fully familiar with the system plus the ABS,EBD sensors & operation.

I have a 94 Jeep Wrangler that's my offroading rig - & has D44's under it. We used the drums for a good 5 years but on extreme offroading situations (and the ebrake), the drums just weren't holding the rig. We converted to discs in the rear. I bought a kit and had the shop install it. I put a different master cylinder on and a different prop valve and the brakes are awesome now.
But - the jeep doesn't have all that ABS and computer controlled stuff on it, it's not my daily driver, and if I screwed something up.....it wouldn't be that big of a deal to put it back to original.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beondwacko View Post
Suggestion:

If you are unhappy with your brake "feel" in your truck, upgrade the brake lines to Braided Stainless. This will firm up the pedal bigtime and allow you better braking control overall.
I can believe that.....
Haven't done it myself - and not sure if I will anytime soon.

I've noticed the brakes are more 'touchy & grabby' when you first get in the truck (after it sits). After driving it around a bit - they're not as touchy or grabby as they were. Perhaps the lines are indeed expanding with the heat?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I can believe that.....

I've noticed the brakes are more 'touchy & grabby' when you first get in the truck (after it sits). After driving it around a bit - they're not as touchy or grabby as they were. Perhaps the lines are indeed expanding with the heat?
well part of it may be due to the small coat of rust that builds up overnight, etc, on the surface of the rotors and all. once u get going and brake once or twice, it wears off the rust and everything is a go!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #15

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
well all that about the computers

well if messing with the rear brakes is such a deal i think it;s better to leave it like that and forget about changing it . i would not want to mess up my breaks , i use this truck every day
Old 12-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #16

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
question but why if ths most inportant breaks are the one's in the front , which means they have to be totaly reliable and dependable why they dont use rear disc breaks . my wifes rav4 sport 2007 has rear disc breaks.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #17
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I can believe that.....

I noticed this too, i figured it was just me. the first couple of times i hit the brakes after the truck has been sitting, it seems to grab much harder and i kind of lurch forward in my seat. Glad i'm not the only one
Old 12-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans17 View Post
question but why if ths most inportant breaks are the one's in the front , which means they have to be totaly reliable and dependable why they dont use rear disc breaks . my wifes rav4 sport 2007 has rear disc breaks.
Who knows why.... If I had to guess, it's probably more related to 'time', 'resources' and 'cost' - then anything else.

Why haven't they put power seats in these trucks yet?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #19
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I keep hearing people say drums hold better too for the parking brake. I assuming this means when they are dry since drums can collect water/mud off roading.

Then again, the tundra has 4-wheel disc brakes right? The new one can tow 10,000lbs so it would have to hold better than the tacoma if parked on a hill with a 10k trailer so who really knows? lol
Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #20

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
well you'r wright my wife rav4 2007 emergency brake is not so good even pulling it all the way up , but i think that the tundra has to have a updated version