Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5 lug, access cab, towing capable?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug, access cab, towing capable?

Hello,

My friend needs to hook up a hitch to her 07 5 lug, access cab, she only needs to haul a mini trailer to Nashville and back, U-Haul wants about $300 just for the hitch, I say that's crazy and figured she could just get her own but seeing that I own a 6 lug, I have no idea about this package. Anyone out there towed light trailers with a 5 lug? If so, I'm assuming the standard hitch would work. Thanks in advance!

Rob
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Raven65 is a jewel in the roughRaven65 is a jewel in the roughRaven65 is a jewel in the rough

Raven65's Tacoma Gallery
If that $300 from U-Haul includes installation, that's not too bad - otherwise, it's a rip-off. There are several different hitches available for her '07 from eTrailer.com ranging from about $150-$200 or so (plus shipping) - but you'd have to install it yourself (or pay someone to). There are links on there for plug-in wiring kits too - which will run you another $40 or so. I bought the Curt hitch and the T-One wiring kit for my '09 reg cab 5-lug 4-cyl 5-speed and am very pleased with both. The hitch install wasn't bad - but it did take a little longer than I expected. You really need another person to help you do it too.

The 5-lug is rated to tow 3500 lbs. I tow my 17' bowrider boat (weighs roughly 2500 lbs. with fuel & gear) with mine and it handles it just fine. Check out the Towing forum on here for more info. Lots of people on here tow stuff with 4-bangers.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven65 View Post
If that $300 from U-Haul includes installation, that's not too bad - otherwise, it's a rip-off. There are several different hitches available for her '07 from eTrailer.com ranging from about $150-$200 or so (plus shipping) - but you'd have to install it yourself (or pay someone to). There are links on there for plug-in wiring kits too - which will run you another $40 or so. I bought the Curt hitch and the T-One wiring kit for my '09 reg cab 5-lug 4-cyl 5-speed and am very pleased with both. The hitch install wasn't bad - but it did take a little longer than I expected. You really need another person to help you do it too.

The 5-lug is rated to tow 3500 lbs. I tow my 17' bowrider boat (weighs roughly 2500 lbs. with fuel & gear) with mine and it handles it just fine. Check out the Towing forum on here for more info. Lots of people on here tow stuff with 4-bangers.
Wow, that's exactly the information I needed, thank you very much!!! This will totally work for the application and yes, the $300 ($2xx actually) did include installation. I'll look into that website you suggested. Have a great day!

Rob
Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Raven65 is a jewel in the roughRaven65 is a jewel in the roughRaven65 is a jewel in the rough

Raven65's Tacoma Gallery
Cool...glad to help. If you haven't already, click on the eTrailer link in my last post and it'll take you straight to the hitches on there for an '07 Tacoma. I've bought two hitches from them in the past few years and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Great prices and service.

On the other hand, if that U-Haul price also includes the wiring kit, that's really not a bad deal at all - and would save you the hassle of installing it yourself. It's a pretty easy job, technically, but the hitch is pretty heavy. It helps a lot to have a helper so you can each lift a side at the same time and stick the bolts in. I suppose it's possible to do it alone if you rig up a floor jack to lift it somehow or something like that, so your hands are free to install the bolts. You can read the installation instructions on the eTrailer site for each hitch (some even have a video you can watch) to help you decide if you want to do it yourself or not.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
06dak will become famous soon enough06dak will become famous soon enough
06dak's Tacoma Gallery
Actually the Uhaul hitch (actually made by Valley) is the cheapest around if you buy it without install, it was like $130 w/shipping. It's a pretty good hitch and the install is easy. I think the Valley is the only one that is set up just like the factory one, and doesn't require you to loosen the rear bumper to put in on. Check it out the Uhaul website... the only way I'd pay for install is if I didn't have time and that $2XX INCLUDED the wiring!