1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 lug, access cab, towing capable?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zero niner, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jul 24, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    zero niner

zero niner [OP] romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Hello,

My friend needs to hook up a hitch to her 07 5 lug, access cab, she only needs to haul a mini trailer to Nashville and back, U-Haul wants about $300 just for the hitch, I say that's crazy and figured she could just get her own but seeing that I own a 6 lug, I have no idea about this package. Anyone out there towed light trailers with a 5 lug? If so, I'm assuming the standard hitch would work. Thanks in advance!

Rob

2. Jul 24, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    If that $300 from U-Haul includes installation, that's not too bad - otherwise, it's a rip-off. There are several different hitches available for her '07 from eTrailer.com ranging from about $150-$200 or so (plus shipping) - but you'd have to install it yourself (or pay someone to). There are links on there for plug-in wiring kits too - which will run you another $40 or so. I bought the Curt hitch and the T-One wiring kit for my '09 reg cab 5-lug 4-cyl 5-speed and am very pleased with both. The hitch install wasn't bad - but it did take a little longer than I expected. You really need another person to help you do it too.

The 5-lug is rated to tow 3500 lbs. I tow my 17' bowrider boat (weighs roughly 2500 lbs. with fuel & gear) with mine and it handles it just fine. Check out the Towing forum on here for more info. Lots of people on here tow stuff with 4-bangers.

Luke-Maine likes this.
  3. Jul 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM
    zero niner

zero niner [OP] romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Wow, that's exactly the information I needed, thank you very much!!! This will totally work for the application and yes, the $300 ($2xx actually) did include installation. I'll look into that website you suggested. Have a great day!

Rob

4. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Cool...glad to help. If you haven't already, click on the eTrailer link in my last post and it'll take you straight to the hitches on there for an '07 Tacoma. I've bought two hitches from them in the past few years and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Great prices and service.

On the other hand, if that U-Haul price also includes the wiring kit, that's really not a bad deal at all - and would save you the hassle of installing it yourself. It's a pretty easy job, technically, but the hitch is pretty heavy. It helps a lot to have a helper so you can each lift a side at the same time and stick the bolts in. I suppose it's possible to do it alone if you rig up a floor jack to lift it somehow or something like that, so your hands are free to install the bolts. You can read the installation instructions on the eTrailer site for each hitch (some even have a video you can watch) to help you decide if you want to do it yourself or not.

Good luck with it.

5. Jul 25, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    Actually the Uhaul hitch (actually made by Valley) is the cheapest around if you buy it without install, it was like $130 w/shipping. It's a pretty good hitch and the install is easy. I think the Valley is the only one that is set up just like the factory one, and doesn't require you to loosen the rear bumper to put in on. Check it out the Uhaul website... the only way I'd pay for install is if I didn't have time and that $2XX INCLUDED the wiring!

Products Discussed in

To Top