1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hybrid Tacoma-25+ MPG

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nighthawk87, Jul 24, 2009.

1. May 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Toyota released a document that their diesel engine is more efficient than the hybrid. Not to mention the extra components are a truck nightmare. All the hybrid systems are actually very complex especially when fully integrated into the engine ECM and transmission TCM not to mention the added weight and wiring would make it a on-road system only. No electric motor can be fully sealed and mud seems to like destroying unprotected electrical components.

A European diesel would be the way to go. I have heard stories of people converting their Tacomas with half-cuts from Europe that have gotten over 30MPG on average and that was with the 1KD-FTV(3.0L turbo diesel).:eek:

It seems all you really need is a conversion kit.

2. May 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    No thanks, Hybrid and Truck should not be in the same sentence, Diesel however is something we need.

3. May 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    night_angel

night_angel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Asuncion-Paraguay
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    ECU FT500, JBA Headers, 100% Offroad
    and what think you of the VW Amarok 2010? TDI 2.0 Bi-Turbo 163 CV...

4. May 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Why? So I can finally have a Taco with real SUA?

:rofl:

I bought my truck to haul and tow. As mentioned multiple times previously current hybrid systems suck at this. I actually tried to look long-term when I bought in 2009. My minimum horizon for buying a vehicle is 10 years... I drive 'em until they die. I don't have a crystal ball but I suspect at some point in the next 10 years it will be more difficult to find a vehicle with the same power/weight/economy ratios as what I'm driving now. More economical or lighter? Sure, but that comes with less power. I now have the perfect mix for what I do and I'll drive it 'til the wheels fall off. Plus I already get ~21-22mpg. What else could I ask for?

Products Discussed in

To Top