1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Great in snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 106Tacoma, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Dec 16, 2007 at 9:21 PM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    Well today was the true test for my tacoma, with my new revos on it i drove it more then 75 miles today in over 16 inches of snow. Highway back roads and even some drifts. The most i found today was around 4 feet of drifts. Well long story short this truck is amazing in the snow and never even once bogged down. I have never driven it in more then 5 inches. It passed my winter driving test very good! I say it again, i love this truck.

2. Dec 17, 2007 at 6:47 AM
    LL7

LL7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Yesterday was the first real test for mine as well. With the stock tires on it was great in the snow. Braked strong on a packed base. Dug through 10 inches of thick snow. Pushed through the thick crud piled up by the plow truck. However there was one hill where they salted instead of just plowing. This turned the snow to a layer of slush. Going down this hill the ABS was on the whole time and I almost didn't get stopped in time to make my turn. Really took me by surprise after how well it did in the snow. I don't know if there was ice under the slush, but it didn't look like it.

So now I am thinking I might need to get a decent set of Snow and Ice tires. Any recommendations? I've had Blizaks on some of my cars and loved them. Do these work well for a truck as well?

3. Dec 17, 2007 at 7:09 AM
    106Tacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yesterday i was onm a slushy hill and she stopped fine. I have bridstone at dueler revos.

4. Dec 17, 2007 at 8:42 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    We had a nasty snow storm last weekend. I was doing about 40 MPH this morning and the truck fish tailed on black ice and spun out clockwise and into a ditch at about 5:30 am in the country. Thankfully, there was a Chevy following me at a distance who came to my rescue with a chain.

Thank god, no visible damage to the truck since it hit a snow bank. 4LO did very little since both drivers side wheels were in the ditch. The truck now has a slight vibration at about 65 MPH. It could be the snow that's packed into the rims thats causing it. Will wait and see.

5. Dec 17, 2007 at 9:57 AM
    106Tacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Snow im rims, mine is packed underneath and on the sides as i was really having fun in the snow yesterday hence the i love it in the snow fourm. HA:D

6. Dec 17, 2007 at 10:11 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    You are a real lucky man mister Master! !! 5:30 am is no time to be hanging out in a ditch! !! Hope you didn't damage your Taco:D

Don G

7. Dec 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    God I miss the snow :(

8. Dec 20, 2007 at 3:23 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Glad both you and your truck are OK...Good luck with the vibe problem.

9. Dec 20, 2007 at 8:56 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It could be some snow packed in the rims....

With my Dodge Ram, I tried to back out of the driveway overtop the plow pile that was about 2' (or more) deep and crusty. The rear-end got over it but the front end sank IN it. After rocking it countless times back-n-forth, I gunned it and finally got out. How embarrassing. Neighbors came out ....

Driving to work, I had one hell of a vibration. The steering wheel was shaking like crazy. Sure enough - I had a LARGE chunk of ice/snow stuck in my front wheel.

Products Discussed in

To Top