1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB Update: Bent Rear Tail Gate (11-13-2007)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by khfactor, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Dec 18, 2007 at 6:15 PM
    khfactor

khfactor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    Hello TW Members,

I do not know if this got out to the TW community yet, but I am looking at a recent update on the above subject TSB #B0018-07 for a BENT REAR TAIL GATE.

It now has a qualifier on the VIN #. This is what it says:

2005 - 2008 model year TACOMA vehicle produced BEFORE the production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB. Further down in the TSB blcok, it shows a table which says (This applies to all Tacomas, I think.):

WMI DRIVE TRAIN Production Change Effective VIN

STE 2WD/PreRunner 5TE###2N#8Z485818
    STE 4WD 5TE###2N#8Z486214
    3TM 4WD 3TM###2N#8M014078
    3TM PreRunner 3TM###2N#8M014063

Am I to assume that any vehicles manufactured BEFORE these published VIN numbers qualify for the TSB, but not the VINs AFTER these numbers?
    Since I do not know how to read the VIN #s, if anyone have a better description on how to read Toyota VIN #s, that would benefit all of us.

Thanks....

2. Dec 18, 2007 at 6:34 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    good info. thanx

3. Dec 18, 2007 at 6:39 PM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    How do you read the Toyota VIN #????? I looked and could not find any thread that tells me how to interpret the VIN #s..... Thanks

4. Dec 18, 2007 at 6:48 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Look at the last 8 digits of your VIN, if it is a lower number than those listed, you qualify. Of course, that is assuming that your gate is bent. If it accidentally gets bent right after you read this thread, oh well.

5. Dec 18, 2007 at 6:51 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
  6. Dec 19, 2007 at 1:28 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Alright, I can jump up and down on my tailgate if need be but I have some new emblems on it right now. What do they replace now on this TSB? I have seen some new components inside but it looks almost the same and in some others it states the whole tailgate is replaced.

Which is it?

Also, how much weight do I need to put on it for this to happen (crush or bend)? I have stood on it with a buddy and we weigh in at about 370 combined with no ill effects.

7. Dec 19, 2007 at 3:29 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:

It is on your paper work. Mine is on the registration.
    It says VIN, big as life.

8. Dec 19, 2007 at 4:02 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    He didn't say he couldn't find the VIN Dan, he said he wanted to know how to read it. Once again you come to this forum with a new bottle of JD in hand. :crazy: :drunk:

9. Dec 19, 2007 at 4:07 AM
    beondwacko

beondwacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08' X-Runner , Sirius radio, fog light mod. Much more to go.
    This TSB makes me very wary of loading my motorcycle into the back of my truck.

10. Dec 19, 2007 at 4:12 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I guess that the best way to serve this forum is to ask my own questions and refrain from helping others.
    It seems fairly simple to match a VIN # to a recall. But what do I know?
    I am just a poor dumb rifleman.

I give up.

11. Dec 19, 2007 at 5:04 AM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport

Don't give up! :) I as well as others (I presume....) appreciate your offer of assistance. I know where to find the VIN # and also know what it is, but trying to match the VIN # on the TSB against mine to determine the eligibility was my question. Ususally the legends for VIN #s can be found in the beginning of any manufacturer's Service Repair manauals. I just did not know the TOYOTA ways of identifying the vehicle build, options, tranny codes, etc....

I followed dbbd1's response and looked at the last 8 -digits of my truck to only discover that it is INDEED manufacturered before the VIN # identified in the TSB.

I do not know if this is GOOD or BAD. Good that it is covered in the TSB, bad that it was manufactured without additional support brackets (however chintzy it may be). Come to think of it, I did not see 'this' additional support bracket when I had the Tailgate cover off when I was installing the POP N LOCK Tailgate locker gizmo.

12. Dec 19, 2007 at 5:59 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wen I was in combat I accepeted more responsibility. Through attrition more than my merit I became a Platoon Leader. I was Para, Ranger, S F, LT. Inf. Patrols are what I am really good at.
    Fred Weyand in his infinate wisdom as Division Commander decided to give me four M113 APC`s. I lost two with their crew. I was not fired. Stuff happens.
    I never had time to drive one. And then I had too much rank to do it.But they came with a 1919 BMG M2. About which I also knew nothing. Now I am in hog heaven. Happiness is belt fed.
    That is why we have senior NCO`s and Officers who were in WW11 and Korea.
    So I found the people that I needed to teach me. All you have to do is admit your ignorance and ask. People are glad to help you.
    Is this not what this forum is for?
    I see no good in a Mod sniping a forumite because he may not be as responsive as he could or not express it with the clarity that the Mod would like.

Thank you for your support. I`m just here to learn as are most.
    Run to the sound of the guns.

13. Dec 22, 2007 at 8:08 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    The combination of numbers and letters has me slightly unsure of whether my VIN is lower than the number above. I'd guess my '7Z...' is less than '8Z...' but it's not completely clear.

I'll add this on to the list I'll be asking about when I setup my first oil change at the dealer.

14. Dec 23, 2007 at 4:05 AM
    Silver_Jim

Silver_Jim Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma DCOR
    Fellers...

The gater saver looks pretty sweet. You can get it powder coated, etc.

Check it out. I believe they are on their second generation and the cost is reasonable.

r/Jim

15. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:02 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Found this out on the net. Might help decoding your VIN. I saw this awhile back when I was wondering what all those numbers meant.

http://www.vinguard.org/vin.htm

16. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:10 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

Seth can no longer get them PC'd due to costs so you are on your own if you want that, however he can still Line-X them.

Edit:

Oh, and he needs orders of 5 to be able to use a full sheet of steel, just so you know.

17. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:12 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
  18. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:30 AM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Last time I checked (last night), the Gater-Saver did not come powder coated, per the fabricator. He said he is shipping "bare" metal only. When did the POWDER-COATING got added? Also he was only taking orders of 5 at a time and I saw a whole bunch of people lining up (more like 25 to 30 people) asking to be put on a list.:( So if I add my name to the list now, it will be May or June of 2008 for me to get to my turn. Whaaaaa!!

I am seriously considering this Gater-Saver "AFTER" I get the Bent Tail Gate TSB done. I want the added insurance, but I do not want to take my truck to the dealership for TSB work with this Gate Saver......;)

19. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:39 AM
    Silver_Jim

Silver_Jim Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma DCOR
    Hey sorry about that... I think I got a little confused reading all the other associated threads... So PC is an after market - thing.. Sorry. :eek:

20. Dec 23, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Hey danusa, all are welcomed, all is cool, move out and draw fire. :fenforcer:

Products Discussed in

To Top