Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bigger gas tank

Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
bigger gas tank

im somewhat interested in getting a bigger fuel tank for the tacoma...

anyone done this or researched this?

thinking maybe 31 gallons-40 gallons max...

thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1999t View Post

thanks
That'd sweet for long trail runs and road trips but I think the extra weight would effect the performnce a little

Edit: Brunes posted before I got to it...sorry
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
That would be a HELL of a trail run- 400+ miles without a full up...You would be my idol!!
lol...no doubt!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
im not really worried about the performance
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
EricS76 is on a distinguished road
EricS76's Tacoma Gallery
You may have to look into in-bed tanks. I'm not sure they're legal for gasoline though, I only see diesel trucks running them.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
EricS76 is on a distinguished road
EricS76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
I would hate to see the bill to fill that
My other truck has a 52 gallon tank and it's diesel. It cost over $200 to fill it up for a long time. Now it's only a little over $100.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
a friend of mine has a bed toolbox that has a gas tank built into it. I don't remeber the brand, but it had a fuel pump and it would work by pumping gas from the toolbox tank into your stock tank, from in the cab. maybe search toolbox tanks on google?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
That would be a HELL of a trail run- 400+ miles without a full up...You would be my idol!!
End to end of Nevada, all offroad. Killer!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
slooowr6 is on a distinguished road
slooowr6's Tacoma Gallery
No, there is no off the shelf large tank for 05+ Tacoma.
And there is also no off the shelf aux tank........ Only way to get a bigger tank is custom made.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooowr6 View Post
No, there is no off the shelf large tank for 05+ Tacoma.
And there is also no off the shelf aux tank........ Only way to get a bigger tank is custom made.
Are you gonna call around to some local shops? If so let us know what the price would be...might be a cool MOD for some people
Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #15
slooowr6 is on a distinguished road
slooowr6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
Are you gonna call around to some local shops? If so let us know what the price would be...might be a cool MOD for some people
I did actually bring my Taco to a local fab shop to see what can be done. Originally he thought maybe we can take the OEM tank out and make a custom tank to use the existing space as much as possible. After he saw the truck and look around the stock location, he told me it won't be cost effective. I would probably get only less than 5 additional gal. So the best bet is to use the spare tire location. So to get a big aux tank you'll need to relocate the spare which I don't want to.
After getting the aux tank location figure out, the next thing is how to get gas into and out-of the tank. That's another fun part, if you search Man-A-Fre aux tank on fjcruiserforums you'll see a whole discussion on the issues some owner experience. Don't want to bore you all with the details.

In short, still searching a way to do it............ Hopefully someone will make a kit for it but I don't think it's likely.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
MJP2's custom 60 gallon fuel cell.

I know it's bigger than you want but an idea.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
damn thats a big fuel cell, how much does it weigh when filled up?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
and i calculated it- with 81 total gallons in the vehicle, at 20 mpg, you would get 1700 miles before you had to fill up again... assuming the best of course...
Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #19
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

thanks
What about stuffing another one under your truck. I thought I saw a writeup on someone using a Izusu Trooper tank.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #20
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
damn thats a big fuel cell, how much does it weigh when filled up?
Couldn't tell ya. PM him and he would be happy to tell you for sure.