Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tapping Accessory Power

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Tapping Accessory Power

Where is the best place to tap for power and where is the best path to run wiring up to the dash?

I have a GPS and radar detector I'd like hard wired and wires hidden as much as possible.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
Where is the best place to tap for power and where is the best path to run wiring up to the dash?

I have a GPS and radar detector I'd like hard wired and wires hidden as much as possible.
I'd say fuse box and there are some spares available. Is your radar and GPS a combined unit?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I only wish. I actually decided to take the radar detector back today. So now I'm just down to the TomTom 510 in the corner of the window, and a microphone wire I need to run up the drivers side mast behind the "oh sh1t" handle.

I really want a backup camera as well but I won't pony up $2500 for an in dash do-it-all, and I don't want the added suction cups and wires.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
They're are special fuses holders that you can get that will allow you to tap into the existing fuse box. Something like http://www.amazon.com/BUSS-BP-HHA-AD...s_auto_title_3 would help if you aren't too comfortable just shoving a wire under one of the other fuses. I'd make sure that it is switched so the power shuts down when you get out.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I only wish. I actually decided to take the radar detector back today. So now I'm just down to the TomTom 510 in the corner of the window, and a microphone wire I need to run up the drivers side mast behind the "oh sh1t" handle.

I really want a backup camera as well but I won't pony up $2500 for an in dash do-it-all, and I don't want the added suction cups and wires.
if u get any of the n1-3's, u cen get them for under a grand...dvd and nav...and also have rear camera hook ups. all u'd have to do is buy a pioneer camera or even a universal type and run the wires...prob solved. u can also get the z series and d series, but they usually run a lil more then the older model n's.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #6
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Now that you mention it; I am installing an over head shotgun rack made by Big Sky with an electrolock.
The SD uses them; but any info would be appreaciateted. I would loose face asking the SD installer for help. I may just do that anyway.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
if u get any of the n1-3's, u cen get them for under a grand...dvd and nav...and also have rear camera hook ups. all u'd have to do is buy a pioneer camera or even a universal type and run the wires...prob solved. u can also get the z series and d series, but they usually run a lil more then the older model n's.
My biggest problem with that is my feature requirements.

HD-Radio (no need for XM or Sirius)
MP3 from CD AND DVD media.
Zune control (Yes I have an iPod and hate it)
Navigation (would prefer embedded TomTom or Garmin)
DD5.1 Audio (why do none of these big radios have a Dolby decoder)
XviD Support
Rear view camera
STRONG Bluetooth support with clean noise canceling.

All of that and I'd be happy. The only solution I know of that would fit the bill is this (or building my own):
https://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=78
Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
They're are special fuses holders that you can get that will allow you to tap into the existing fuse box. Something like http://www.amazon.com/BUSS-BP-HHA-AD...s_auto_title_3 would help if you aren't too comfortable just shoving a wire under one of the other fuses. I'd make sure that it is switched so the power shuts down when you get out.
That may be the answer to my problem if I can find a switched blank fuse port. I was thinking about just tapping my radio (aftermarket) supply wire, but I really want the GPS on the far left of the windshield.

I wonder if the TomTom 510 uses 12v or 5v (USB)? Guess I'll have to break out the multimeter.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My biggest problem with that is my feature requirements.

HD-Radio (no need for XM or Sirius)
MP3 from CD AND DVD media.
Zune control (Yes I have an iPod and hate it)
Navigation (would prefer embedded TomTom or Garmin)
DD5.1 Audio (why do none of these big radios have a Dolby decoder)
XviD Support
Rear view camera
STRONG Bluetooth support with clean noise canceling.
well w/ the avic's u can get attachments for the bluetooth and 5.1 DSP and usb/jump drives/mp3 players, nav is built in, add the rear camera, mp3 from cd's but not dvd (which does suck), and i'm not even sure what the zune interface consists of. i need to look into an hd radio add on for mine. i also wanna get me a tv tuner as well.

here is pioneer's accessory page.....LINK
Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #10

If you've ever had an add-on CD-Changer with no head deck controls, you'll hate Pioneer's add on Dolby decoder. The control for it is intended to be double side taped to your dash.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:29 AM   #11
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Evilbetty, are you sure you want to have the GPS hard wired and mounted like that? I thought about that too and the idea that someone knows you have a GPS seems to make it more possible you will be a break in candidate.

I wound up gettin g the Garmin Nuvi friction mount (I have a Garmin Nuvi 360) so I can put it right in the console without breaking it down. Just a matter of plugging it in and putting it on the dash, 15 seconds.

Also, do you have the bluetooth yet? The blueant fits exactly where the garage door opener remote goes. I have all these gadgets on my truck but you would never know it.

Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Damn Viper, you are a leader in the mods. I had my truck weighed at work, 4520, with all your mods I would be curious.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
Evilbetty, are you sure you want to have the GPS hard wired and mounted like that? I thought about that too and the idea that someone knows you have a GPS seems to make it more possible you will be a break in candidate.

I wound up gettin g the Garmin Nuvi friction mount (I have a Garmin Nuvi 360) so I can put it right in the console without breaking it down. Just a matter of plugging it in and putting it on the dash, 15 seconds.

Also, do you have the bluetooth yet? The blueant fits exactly where the garage door opener remote goes. I have all these gadgets on my truck but you would never know it.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Absolutely... I'll take the TomTom off the dock/mount when I leave the vehicle somewhere shady, but I don't want the wires all over the dash and I'm not pulling the suction cup every time I get out.

The TomTom 510 has descent bluetooth, though it could be louder.

I was looking at the supertooths but I don't want something I have to charge. Also I have tested about 9 devices with voice dial and it's just not reliable enough in our noisy tacomas. I want something with a touchscreen display I can read from a normal driving position.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #14
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I know how to read a map or chart and can run a compass.

Products Discussed in this Thread