Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just installed my true flow CAI

Old 07-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
RDAY is on a distinguished road
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed my true flow CAI

Can someone help me with this intake I remove the whole stock airbox air filter and air tubing right?
Because i just took it down the road and when i step on it it gets too loud like it doesnt sound good i can hear it vibrating and feel it vibrating in my foot what could this be?

Also when the truck is running and I put my hand underneath the engine cover should i be able to feel air blowing right around there with my hand?
And when i parked it smelled like something was burning I am nervous i want to be better safe than sorry.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
its only when i step on it that it does it?
and idk if u guys were able to get urs real sturdy but using the hardware that came with it I can still move the whole big end of the intake around quit a bit with ease does ur guys have that much movement?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
anyone???
I dont wanna drive my truck to work 2moro until i get this figured out.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Installation is pretty straight forward. Can you post a pic of it, so we can see if anything is wrong?

FWIW, Most intakes are loud, and you will feel the vibrations/resonance from them.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Slypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Frank
Slypted's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like something isnt right. I would think it should be sealed up to direct the airflow properly. Are you sure you put it together right? I dont have CAI yet so sorry I cant be of much help.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
yea these cai can be loud in the cab
Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
so should i feel air moving around right at the intake manifold is this normal? and from the other pics it seems I do have it installed correctly. But when I step on it the whole inside of my cab starts vibrating the dash the mirror the gas pedal ect???

It seems like there shouldnt be ne movement on the intake when its installed and I have everything tight and theres still quit a bit of play.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
do u have a true flow chris?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
i just pu one of these on...pretty easy and straight foward...i think the hardest part (which really wasnt hard..just a bit time consuming( was extending the MAF harness. Yes you take out all of the airbox...if it looks like ya have a suite case..then ya got it all. sure you didnt drop something on the manifold that might have burned a bit and created the smell? I mean dirt grease a little piece of plastic can make a big smell...even running through rain water....also make sure the intake is not laying on the p/s resivoir or the hole in the radiator support you had to cut...if so you will need to adjust it...but its going to be loud..nature of the beast bro...My TRD intake rattles the windows when im full throttle...you seriously could not talk to anybody b/c they would not hear you...like i said normal..\

edit: also the air you may be feeling is probably the air created by the trucks fan..NORMAL..you just don't have as much blocking it now...your truck probably would barely run if it did not see air across the MAF..
Old 07-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAY View Post
do u have a true flow chris?
No, but I ran one on a dyno.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
TRDKENE- is urs a second edition? I didnt even have to extend the MAF sensor?
But the main thing I think I am having issues with is getting the hardware that came with it to actually hold the intake down tight so it won't move much the thing bounces all over does urs have alot of movement?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518504

is this what you have?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
nope def. not man.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
yep...Im a retard..my fault bro...that looks pretty simple doesnt look like much to it...Maybe your just overreacting to something that your not used to? I thought you were talking about the URD True Cold Air.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
i just don't like the hardware they give u its hard to get it tight so theres no movement/vibrations.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like from the pic, that thing is only supported by a single bracket and rest of it is supported by the urethane boots? If so, keep in mind that your engine does vibrate a lot and that vibration is even more extended to the tube and air filter housing.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAY View Post
nope def. not man.
Sorry, but that is one butt ugly CAI. The MAS is mounted on the side??