Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shell Help !!!! A.R.E MX or Jeraco Mid rise

Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
ksavage523 is on a distinguished road
ksavage523's Tacoma Gallery
Shell Help !!!! A.R.E MX or Jeraco Mid rise

I am looking at either the ARE MX series or Jeraco Mid Rise for my 06 DC shortbed. I am getting either with the Yakima rack to transport my Kayaks and have a place fr my dog.

Do any of you have the MX series? how do you like it?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Junior Member In Training
4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice

Name: Dan
4getful's Tacoma Gallery
I would do a search! Not trying to be a jerk!! I know that I remember seeing a thread devoted to shells. I think it was called "Show me your shell"?? Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Being in the truck cap business, I would suggest staying away from the Jeraco. Not so much the quality of the product but the stability of the different truck cap manufacturers. You want to make sure that replacement windows are and will be easily available in the future. I'll save you all the details but I would stick with a LEER, Century or ARE if you are buying a truck cap.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
60% of the time it works every time
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hollywood22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4getful View Post
I would do a search! Not trying to be a jerk!! I know that I remember seeing a thread devoted to shells. I think it was called "Show me your shell"?? Good Luck!
X 2...there was a thread called show me you shell...good thread lots of pics
Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
ksavage523 is on a distinguished road
ksavage523's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you everyone I saw that post and there are some nice ones on there. I am not sure now if I should get a midrise or cab high. I want to put my Kayaks on the rook and I am not sure how that will look with the shell being very short and higher than the truck with the kayaks on top. any thoughts?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
snugtop hands down!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
for snug top the turn cable that opens the window is stainless steel... on leer its just a wire/cord.... i did months of research before i got mine.... i was back and forth between leer and snugtop... and st notices the little impoertant details..... just my $0.02
Old 07-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Senior Junior Member In Training
4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice

Name: Dan
4getful's Tacoma Gallery
For me, I would go with a cab high. I like the looks better, but that is my opinion.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 AM   #9
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
So ksavage523,

What did you end up with? I'm also looking at a mid rise top (Leer, A.R.E., Unicover).

Thaanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
I needed the height to haul my bikes or I would have went with a cab high.
I've got the ARE MX because Snug Top did not make their Hi Liner for the 2nd Gen Taco at that time. My last Snug Top for my 1995 and 1999 Tacoma was a little better quality than the ARE but it's been good for the last 4 years.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
More reading=Less need for posting
Geowheeler is on a distinguished road
Geowheeler's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my ARE MX cap for nearly a year. No leaks, sharp and agressive looking, plenty of head room when camping. I travel a lot and am most satisfied with my thoroughly researched shell. $1900 included roof rack and windoors which allow you reach all areas of the bed without crawling in. Do look into how many your local installer has done for 2nd gen tacos. There is no standard install procedure provided by ARE. My installer removed the rail caps so cleats are not useable. Instead, put in extra D-rings.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
Any pics with the topper on your trucks?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
More reading=Less need for posting
Geowheeler is on a distinguished road
Geowheeler's Tacoma Gallery

Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's always better to go larger, as you never know when you'll need the room.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
Are

After much research I went with the ARE "Z" series with fold down slider.

I have owned an ARE before and the fit and finish was very impressive.

For what its worth...buy what YOU like.