Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where are Tacoma's built?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
East Ender
danb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
danb86's Tacoma Gallery
Where are Tacoma's built?

We goofed last summer and bought an '09 Access Cab, 4 cylinder, 2WD in black. We wanted the 2WD for the MPG, but we didn't want black.

As we normally don't spend winters on Long Island where we live (we manage boats in the summer and head to the BVI in the winter to teach scuba), we didn't think we needed 4WD.

Well, we wound up spending last winter on Long Island and the 2WD wasn't really a problem as we didn't have to use the truck much anyway. But just 3 weeks ago, I spent over and hour digging the truck out of a gravel parking lot! I almost had to call for a tow!

Not crazy about the black (looks dirty right after washing), very not crazy about the 15" skateboard wheels on the truck, and, now, VERY not crazy about 2 WD, we headed back to the dealer to trade in for a 4 cylinder 4x4.

We had located a Timberland Mica that was available from another dealer as a swap, but we just found out yesterday the dealer sold it out from under us.

The upside is there's a 2010 Magnetic Gray SR5, SL package being built week of August 10 that the dealer said would probably be on hand by end of August.

I was wondering where these are being built and how quickly they make there way from point A (plant) to point B (Long Island dealer). Any ideas??
Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Either Mexico, or California.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Phillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud of

Phillyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb86 View Post
We goofed last summer and bought an '09 Access Cab, 4 cylinder, 2WD in black. We wanted the 2WD for the MPG, but we didn't want black.

As we normally don't spend winters on Long Island where we live (we manage boats in the summer and head to the BVI in the winter to teach scuba), we didn't think we needed 4WD.

Well, we wound up spending last winter on Long Island and the 2WD wasn't really a problem as we didn't have to use the truck much anyway. But just 3 weeks ago, I spent over and hour digging the truck out of a gravel parking lot! I almost had to call for a tow!

Not crazy about the black (looks dirty right after washing), very not crazy about the 15" skateboard wheels on the truck, and, now, VERY not crazy about 2 WD, we headed back to the dealer to trade in for a 4 cylinder 4x4.

We had located a Timberland Mica that was available from another dealer as a swap, but we just found out yesterday the dealer sold it out from under us.

The upside is there's a 2010 Magnetic Gray SR5, SL package being built week of August 10 that the dealer said would probably be on hand by end of August.

I was wondering where these are being built and how quickly they make there way from point A (plant) to point B (Long Island dealer). Any ideas??
Mexico or US. Not sure if you can ask the dealer ahead of time what the VIN number might be, but see link below.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...el-trends.html
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
There was a thread about the plant that closed here in Cali not to long ago. Not to sure as to where else they are being built in the US. I think Mexico is now the main plant (I could be wrong).

Here's the link:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...t-tacomas.html
Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
East Ender
danb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

danb86's Tacoma Gallery
So you think it's reasonable for a build scheduled 10 Aug to be at the dealer 2 weeks later??
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

I don't see why it wouldn't since it's being built for a dealer not and not a customer. I've read that some people who have ordered through dealers with specific packages and add ons have had to wait for their's to get built. Somewhere between 2 wks to a month. If the dealership says that's the eta then i would just keep in contact and check in with them when time comes around.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
FL4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
MMMMM MEXICO. I mean donut.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
1sicktaco is on a distinguished road
1sicktaco's Tacoma Gallery
my truck is mexican
Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
East Ender

danb86's Tacoma Gallery
Our truck isn't being built "for us" as it was already schedule to be built and just happened to be one that met our specs for what we were looking for...

Still we would have preferred the Timberland Mica.

Last summer, when asked what our 3 choices for color would be we asked for dark blue, then desert sand, and then...we didn't have a 3rd choice!

No dark blue, no desert sand within 150 miles. So we asked what color was available and it was either the silver or black...we got black and haven't been happy since (more importantly, the lack of 4WD has been noticeable) as I wash every week and it rarely looks washed for more than a few hours!

We've been crazy happy with the truck, though, and we've been getting nothing less than 26 MPG and closer to 28 every fill...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was built in Cali. You can tell by your VIN number where it was built.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
FL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of lightFL4x4Taco is a glorious beacon of light
FL4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
dude, 26-28mpg.... you didn't get a Pre-runner did you? You got a little pool service truck looking job right?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
East Ender

danb86's Tacoma Gallery
Yo! Pool Service job! How right you are!

And after spending a month talking to various local "experts" on how I might get bigger rims/tires and not getting any credible answers, I completely gave up now cry myself to sleep every night!

So here we are, a year later and have put our names down next to a magnetic gray 4x4, 4 cylinder (I can't quite get myself to accept anything less than low 20's for MPG. I had a 1994 Nissan pre-frontier that had over 180,000 hard driven miles and was still getting low 20's).
Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
"Let's Ride!"

Magnetic Gray is imo the best color for Tacoma's. I wish they had that color available when i first bought my 05.

Like i said earlier just keep in contact and check in when time comes around. The dealer already snuffed one under your noses before. I'm sure they would rather sell than do a swap. Hope all goes well.

Post back up when you get it.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
Either Mexico, or California.
x2..mine was built in cali