1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cat on the hood of my Taco!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PatheticJoe, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Dec 19, 2007 at 9:24 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    Alright, I walked out this morning and all over my hood were muddy cat paws. My beautiful black truck violated by kitty paws. So I'm thinking of buying one of these devices and leaving it on the dash at night. Since I don't own a pet I want some feedback on how bad this may be or is there a better route?

2. Dec 19, 2007 at 10:24 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Get a dog..... :D

I'd do some research on that 'product' before buying it and see what other folks have experienced.

Not that this is any relation - but my husbands employers had problems with crows. They bought a similar product that emitted high frequency noises & pulses and things that crows are supposed to be afraid of.... Well, it didn't work at all. They sent it back and got something bigger and louder. I'd hate to see you waste your money on something that doesn't work. I'm sure it depends on the cat.....?

Get some cat nip and throw it in the neighbors yard.

3. Dec 20, 2007 at 12:19 AM
    safe93

safe93 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White
    If you think about it ,,,,, If this this stattles something that lands on your hood or roof . ....What Do you thinks going to happen .. It Will freak the
    S++T out of the animal. I will Scratch Tear the crap out of your paint Job...
    Park it in a Garage if you can .....My 2 cents

4. Dec 20, 2007 at 1:03 AM
    vivafire

vivafire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston,Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Add N-Fab side steps-debaged,cat-back exhaust from MagnaFlow and a Stage 2 intake system from AFE
    The cat walking on your hood will not be much of a problem, but the act of them jumping on the hood is where they might claw up your hood.

5. Dec 20, 2007 at 2:18 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    The cats next door to me ALWAYS do the same thing. I just clean it off in the am. Not a big deal really. I do have two dogs and they run after cats as soon as I bring them out the door.

You can also speak with the owner (if you know them).

6. Dec 20, 2007 at 4:09 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    I too have this problem with my passenger car.

I come home late in the evening, or technically very early (0300). The cats are cold and jump on the hood.

In the a.m. I see dirt, some fur stuck on with cat spit, and cat tracks.

I've given up the battle. But now I have hope with the above product. My only fear is that, like a car alarm we hate. My neighbors will hate that sound too.

What about an automatic sprayer that works on the same motion sensing but shoot vinegar and water?

Either way, it would be nice to have a solution.

7. Dec 20, 2007 at 4:55 AM
    LL7

LL7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Look far a product called a ScatMat. I use one to keep my cats off of the counters and tables. Zaps their little feet. Works best on areas where they can't see before jumping. Mine have learned the look of it, so they know when it is and isn't there. However they don't risk jumping up on areas they can't see now.

I would also put a large heavy cover under it to avoid any claws that will come out as the cat is startled.

8. Dec 20, 2007 at 5:25 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I thought you guys had guys. Meow!

9. Dec 20, 2007 at 6:25 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    That device probably will not work from your dash. I bet it just produces a high pitched noise and I think that your windshield would block that.

You could get a lift so much that the cat can't jump up on there.

10. Dec 20, 2007 at 6:43 AM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    I like the lift idea...backed with some bigger tires.......or you could just buy a bb gun and devote one night to drinking beer and waiting for that thing to swing by your truck....just one pump though you dont need animal rights all up in your business.

11. Dec 20, 2007 at 7:00 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    No no no. BB gun is non Taco friendly. May be a paint ball gun ;).

12. Dec 20, 2007 at 7:14 AM
    AZsurfer13

AZsurfer13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Tacoma
    Total Chaos 3" Coil Over and Control Arms, 15" American Racing Mojave's, 31" BFG A/T, Doug Thorley Ceramic Coated Header, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, 20% Tint. (All work done by SDHQ Offroad, www.sdhqoffroad.com)
    Just get a car cover for it and Boom, problem solved. The cat cannot scratch the paint from jumping on and it also eliminates the mud problem. I saw some on ebay a couple days ago for pretty cheap.:)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Dec 20, 2007 at 8:36 AM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    Awesome replies, Thanks. I live in a condo complex so the full garage option is out although the parking is covered by a roof. As for mats and covers the time hassle isn't what I'm looking for, i.e my username. According to the product description its not audible to humans but I am concerned about the comment that it may not penetrate the glass. I'll have to look into that. The other problem mentioned is my biggest fear, that the cat will claw the hell out of my hood when it gets startled by the sound. Not sure how to address that and once I'm wrong it will be too late and off to the body shop. As for the cat owner she is a sweet 80 year old lady that has apolgizied numerous times about the marks but no change. The crazy thing is that I think the hood scoop is what the cat likes most. It's nice and flat and apparently comfy. I guess I need to suck it up, there are worse things than muddy paws I guess but man does it drive me crazy.

BTW, I'm not sure how a paint gun is anymore Taco friendly than a BB gun, especially with an errant shot. And my 1.25" lift is as high as my truck is getting......for the foreseeable future.

14. Dec 20, 2007 at 9:12 AM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    Well the paint ball gun will not damage the paint on your vehicle as would a lead BB. Also if shot from about 30 foot shouldnt have any problem with denting either. You could just try spraying it down with water or put a sticky substance on it a few times to make the cat not want to go up there anymore then clean it off.

15. Dec 20, 2007 at 9:44 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Last winter we had a problem witha neighborhood cat spraying our basement windows and front entrance.We have an indoor cat and the cat that is allowed to roam the street would see our guy in the window and come by and mark itself.....Very annoying and downright raunchy when it gets warmer.I went to a local pet store and bought a cat-repellant spray and used it all around the house....Presto.problem solved.Whatever is in this stuff is apparently awful to cats,but to people it hardly has a smell at all.What smell there is is antiseptic-ish if anything.Mabey try a couple of squirts around the truck when you park it or spray some on a rag and dab it on the plastic part of the scoop.....Hope it helps.:)

16. Dec 20, 2007 at 9:44 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    that is a major problem i had stray cats in the neighborhood that did that on my old truck. there claws will scratch your paint as they slide down the hood and fenders. but i had a little repellent of my own that worked :)

17. Dec 20, 2007 at 9:58 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    I once had that problem. I gained the cats trust, put him in the back of my shell and found him a new home far away.;)

18. Dec 20, 2007 at 10:27 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
  19. Dec 20, 2007 at 10:51 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  20. Dec 20, 2007 at 10:54 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    yeah, i like cats too, but it would work....

Products Discussed in

To Top