Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cat on the hood of my Taco!!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Cat on the hood of my Taco!!

Alright, I walked out this morning and all over my hood were muddy cat paws. My beautiful black truck violated by kitty paws. So I'm thinking of buying one of these devices and leaving it on the dash at night. Since I don't own a pet I want some feedback on how bad this may be or is there a better route?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Get a dog.....

I'd do some research on that 'product' before buying it and see what other folks have experienced.

Not that this is any relation - but my husbands employers had problems with crows. They bought a similar product that emitted high frequency noises & pulses and things that crows are supposed to be afraid of.... Well, it didn't work at all. They sent it back and got something bigger and louder. I'd hate to see you waste your money on something that doesn't work. I'm sure it depends on the cat.....?

Get some cat nip and throw it in the neighbors yard.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
safe93 is on a distinguished road
safe93's Tacoma Gallery
Cat

If you think about it ,,,,, If this this stattles something that lands on your hood or roof . ....What Do you thinks going to happen .. It Will freak the
S++T out of the animal. I will Scratch Tear the crap out of your paint Job...
Park it in a Garage if you can .....My 2 cents
Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
vivafire is on a distinguished road

vivafire's Tacoma Gallery
The cat walking on your hood will not be much of a problem, but the act of them jumping on the hood is where they might claw up your hood.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
The cats next door to me ALWAYS do the same thing. I just clean it off in the am. Not a big deal really. I do have two dogs and they run after cats as soon as I bring them out the door.

You can also speak with the owner (if you know them).
Old 12-20-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I too have this problem with my passenger car.

I come home late in the evening, or technically very early (0300). The cats are cold and jump on the hood.

In the a.m. I see dirt, some fur stuck on with cat spit, and cat tracks.

I've given up the battle. But now I have hope with the above product. My only fear is that, like a car alarm we hate. My neighbors will hate that sound too.

What about an automatic sprayer that works on the same motion sensing but shoot vinegar and water?

Either way, it would be nice to have a solution.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #7
LL7 is a jewel in the roughLL7 is a jewel in the roughLL7 is a jewel in the roughLL7 is a jewel in the rough
LL7's Tacoma Gallery
Look far a product called a ScatMat. I use one to keep my cats off of the counters and tables. Zaps their little feet. Works best on areas where they can't see before jumping. Mine have learned the look of it, so they know when it is and isn't there. However they don't risk jumping up on areas they can't see now.

I would also put a large heavy cover under it to avoid any claws that will come out as the cat is startled.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
I thought you guys had guys. Meow!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #9
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
That device probably will not work from your dash. I bet it just produces a high pitched noise and I think that your windshield would block that.

You could get a lift so much that the cat can't jump up on there.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
Oregon Alliance: Founder
A1CGuches is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Need to now situation
A1CGuches's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to A1CGuches
I like the lift idea...backed with some bigger tires.......or you could just buy a bb gun and devote one night to drinking beer and waiting for that thing to swing by your truck....just one pump though you dont need animal rights all up in your business.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
No no no. BB gun is non Taco friendly. May be a paint ball gun .
Old 12-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
AZsurfer13 is on a distinguished road

AZsurfer13's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a car cover for it and Boom, problem solved. The cat cannot scratch the paint from jumping on and it also eliminates the mud problem. I saw some on ebay a couple days ago for pretty cheap.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome replies, Thanks. I live in a condo complex so the full garage option is out although the parking is covered by a roof. As for mats and covers the time hassle isn't what I'm looking for, i.e my username. According to the product description its not audible to humans but I am concerned about the comment that it may not penetrate the glass. I'll have to look into that. The other problem mentioned is my biggest fear, that the cat will claw the hell out of my hood when it gets startled by the sound. Not sure how to address that and once I'm wrong it will be too late and off to the body shop. As for the cat owner she is a sweet 80 year old lady that has apolgizied numerous times about the marks but no change. The crazy thing is that I think the hood scoop is what the cat likes most. It's nice and flat and apparently comfy. I guess I need to suck it up, there are worse things than muddy paws I guess but man does it drive me crazy.

BTW, I'm not sure how a paint gun is anymore Taco friendly than a BB gun, especially with an errant shot. And my 1.25" lift is as high as my truck is getting......for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
Sir Anal Loin of Beef
Dcrooks84 has a spectacular aura aboutDcrooks84 has a spectacular aura about

Dcrooks84's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Dcrooks84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
I'm not sure how a paint gun is anymore Taco friendly than a BB gun, especially with an errant shot.
Well the paint ball gun will not damage the paint on your vehicle as would a lead BB. Also if shot from about 30 foot shouldnt have any problem with denting either. You could just try spraying it down with water or put a sticky substance on it a few times to make the cat not want to go up there anymore then clean it off.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Last winter we had a problem witha neighborhood cat spraying our basement windows and front entrance.We have an indoor cat and the cat that is allowed to roam the street would see our guy in the window and come by and mark itself.....Very annoying and downright raunchy when it gets warmer.I went to a local pet store and bought a cat-repellant spray and used it all around the house....Presto.problem solved.Whatever is in this stuff is apparently awful to cats,but to people it hardly has a smell at all.What smell there is is antiseptic-ish if anything.Mabey try a couple of squirts around the truck when you park it or spray some on a rag and dab it on the plastic part of the scoop.....Hope it helps.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #16
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
that is a major problem i had stray cats in the neighborhood that did that on my old truck. there claws will scratch your paint as they slide down the hood and fenders. but i had a little repellent of my own that worked
Old 12-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #17
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
Alright, I walked out this morning and all over my hood were muddy cat paws. My beautiful black truck violated by kitty paws. So I'm thinking of buying one of these devices and leaving it on the dash at night. Since I don't own a pet I want some feedback on how bad this may be or is there a better route?
I once had that problem. I gained the cats trust, put him in the back of my shell and found him a new home far away.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
this will work...
http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/bear.asp
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #19
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
That would be the best hood ornament ever! Too bad I like cats and would feel a little guilty using it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
That would be the best hood ornament ever! Too bad I like cats and would feel a little guilty using it.
yeah, i like cats too, but it would work....