Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 Regular Cab Bench Swap

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
paranoidandroid is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
paranoidandroid's Tacoma Gallery
09 Regular Cab Bench Swap

Looking to swap out the (horrible) bench seat in my 2009 Regular Cab for buckets from salvage yard/ebay. I figured that there would be bolt holes to mount them hidden under the carpet. Does anyone know for sure? Has anyone done this to their Tacoma? Pics? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
07regtacoman's Tacoma Gallery
The holes are there for buckets but the real problems arise with the sensors in the seats.Most are different and you would have a dash light unless the sensors are changed out.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
My bench isnt so bad. Bt still ,I'm there thinking of 60/40 or bucket seats for tilt n lumbar.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
The bigger problem will be with overcoming taking out a bench seat with side airbags built into them (starting in 09) and installing seats with out them. You are gonna have "AIR BAG" light flashing unless you install "air bag simulators or some other wiring voodoo to fool the system.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea, i'm wondering if 2008 seat swaps can work if you splice the sensor wires, risky guess. I wish toyota could provide accurate conversion data for stuff like that.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
Yea, i'm wondering if 2008 seat swaps can work if you splice the sensor wires, risky guess. I wish toyota could provide accurate conversion data for stuff like that.

Toyota, nor any other manufacturer is gonna provide pure "conversion data" on a safety system. Too much liability.

Also, any swap would involve more than just the "sensors" but also would have to compensate for the airbags missing. Every time you start your vehicle, the air bag controller does a diagnostic check and sends discrete test signals looking for both the sensors and the air bag to respond. If missing or out of tolerance, your air bag light will flash. Some companies sell "air bag simulators" that are mainly used for people who put in non-air bag steering wheels. These simulators just fool the air bag controller by give a simulated resistive value. As to the side air bags in 09 and up bench seats, I doubt anybody has made a simulator for them.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
senile member

My thought was simply the sensors for occupant present. My bench has no bags , just senses a passenger. So the questions are ability to just swap sensor seat to seat, or with different clips, are the sensor the same? Its so tempting to swap, then say forget the passenger bag, i just dont really like idea.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #8
paranoidandroid is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
paranoidandroid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
The bigger problem will be with overcoming taking out a bench seat with side airbags built into them (starting in 09) and installing seats with out them. You are gonna have "AIR BAG" light flashing unless you install "air bag simulators or some other wiring voodoo to fool the system.
Is the light obnoxious? I'm pretty sure I could deal with a steady light being on until something is available to trick it into being out.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Toyota Nut
ChiTownTRD has a spectacular aura aboutChiTownTRD has a spectacular aura about

ChiTownTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You can get rid of the light, pull the cluster and under the vinyl overlay, put a piece of black tape. I do it for the TPMS light, Works great!