Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cut My Exhaust?

View Poll Results: What to do? Vote at least Twice!
No Problems 1 100.00%
Will cause problems (tell me about them) 0 0%
Will look good 1 100.00%
Will look stupid 0 0%
Alternative FTW 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Cut My Exhaust?

One of the (few) things I liked about my wife's previous car was the clean look of the exahust.. i.e. the exhaust pipe wasn't visible at all.

A picture of sombody's Passat:

I'd like to get the same clean look on my truck, but don't know if it's worth the effort or if it might have some adverse effects. The pictures below show where I'd cut it. The pipe isn't supported anywhere after the muffler except for the one piece of metal that's welded near the 90 degree turn behind the wheel. I don't think it would be a good idea to cut it before that support as the entire pipe that runs above the rear axle would then be unsupported.

I plan to cut it where the red line is in the pictures below. I might also paint it black so it blends in even more.

I have two questions...
First: Would this cause any problems? I read a few other threads saying that the excess heat might mess with some of the components back there, but I think that the person was talking about cutting their pipe further from the end. It was also a 1st-Gen truck, I think. Another concern is that I have a camper top that I sometimes use. I don't want fumes to build up in it.

(We have no inspection in AL, so I'm not worried about that.)

Second: Do you think it would look stupid? I like the clean look of it, but if I'm the only person in the world who likes it, it'll be tough to sell to the next guy. I'm really not set on doing it yet. I've just run out of (cheap) things to do to my truck and cleaning up the look of the exhaust is something I've been considering.

ALTERNATIVE... Maybe I should just use some grill paint and paint the pipe black? (I'm blacking-out the rest of the truck, too.)

Old 08-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you can cut the pipe there....isnt gonna hurt anything. maybe a touch louder...but i doubt it. i painted mine black with some high temp paint.....looks ok, but it bakes on,so make sure its what you want if you go thAT ROUTE.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
How I plan on doing mine

I cut mine exactly like that and had no problems. The sound actually got a lot quieter for me...maybe because I only have a muffler

I love the look.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Did you add something to hold the pipe above the axle, or is it the last point of contact on the pipe the muffler?

EDIT: nm... you said it's how you PLAN on doing yours... so I guess that's not your truck. Do you think you'll need to add some support?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
I was consisting the same cut. One less bend MIGHT make a minor mpg change. Doing it more for looks though. Concerned about increased noise re sound under the bed after the cut.
Anyone do this and have feedback on noise level?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread revival
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Lol Might be worth mentioning but cutting the exhaust short might cause inspection issues as your not supposed to cut it.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coma09 View Post
I was consisting the same cut. One less bend MIGHT make a minor mpg change.

No way.

Wow this might be a zombie thread record.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
Well. Got impatient and just went and cut it.
No noisier at all and at least 10 more HP lol!
Painted the part behind the axle to the hanger where I cut it, and its invisible.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
cerutti is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
cerutti's Tacoma Gallery
did that on my FJC for clearance on the trail, id do it again in a heart beat!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
There are officially more replies to this thread in the last two days than there were since 2009.

Such a sad little poll, too... Just two responses.

The truck is sold now, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. FWIW, I didn't end up cutting the pipe.