1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bedline spray on plastic fenders?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YodaMedic, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    YodaMedic

YodaMedic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Travis AFB, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    After a recent trip and plenty of Texas pinstriping, the plastic fenders on my Taco acquired some pretty good scratches and they are a mild annoyance to me. I have been trying to find a previous thread but to no avail. Anyone tried this? My theory is that after dismounting the stock plastic fenders, and spraying them with bedliner that the current scratches would be covered as well as preventing future scratches. Any input?

2. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    I like the idea after I scratched my 08' AC. I want to try & do the fr. bumper as well, till I get a REAL one. Wonder how easy a "touch-up" would be?
    Anyone w/ bedliner application experience??

3. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    I don't know but your theory seems correct to me. I guess if the scratches were more like gouges you could always go over those parts first to "fill" and then go back and paint the whole thing.

4. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That stuff is SUPER hardy- so don't get it on your hootus or clothes or anywhere you don't want it to stick...but it'll cover over anything there as long as they are not deep gouges. It'll cover pinstripes no problem.

If you are worried put a coat of sandable primer or filler primer down between cleaning/sanding and applying the bedliner material. Touch up shouldn't be an issue cause again that shit sticks to damn near everything as long as it's clean.

Take photos of how it looks!!

5. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    YodaMedic

Member:
    Travis AFB, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Thanks guys, they arent bad gouges that plastic on the fenders isnt the strongest plastic and they have just slight indentations where some stronger sticks moulded the plastic is the best way I can describe it. Will definatley take pics, looks like a project for next weekend. Just blacked out my badges this yesterday.

6. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    stenyeart

stenyeart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    3" Toytec Lift w/ AAL, TRD CAI, Leer 700 Series, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Locker Anytime Mod, LR UCA's, OEM Roof Rack, Satoshi grill with Devil Horns Emblem, USA Spec PA-15 Toy Ipod Integration, Redline Tuning Hood Struts and EZ Down Tailgate.
    I sprayed bedliners for about two years at a Toyota Dealership. There are two basic types of bedliners and each have their pro's and con's. A bedliner like Rhino liner is hard and may chip, crack, etc. If you go with Indy Liner or any other rubber-like bedliner, it could tear. I would reccomend that you use the rubber-like stuff on your fenders or bumpers. You will not scratch them and I highly doubt that you will tear it. As far as touch up goes. You can use windshield glue to stick any tears back down and you wouldn't even notice them. All the scratches will be filled in, bedliner is self-leveling to a point. I would also reccomend sanding the fenders and applying primer to them before coating them with any bedliner.

7. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    looking forward ...............

8. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    stenyeart, welcome to the site!
    bedliner sprayer-guy.
    (We might get some good stuff outta dis guy!)

Indy Liner, eh? Sounds like good stuff.

9. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    YodaMedic

Member:
    Travis AFB, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    One concern that I do have is I have been reading that bedliners like everything else fades eventually with time. And if they faded to a point, could I reapply a layer of liner or time for new fenders and I am sure Toyota charges a lot for those plastic things. And Stenyeart I agree I think the rubber ish is a good choice, as I dont see myself offroading so hardcore in my daily driver that I tear bedliner from my fenders! If I managed to tear bedliner I probably have bigger truck problems than my fenders haha

10. Aug 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    stenyeart

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    3" Toytec Lift w/ AAL, TRD CAI, Leer 700 Series, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Locker Anytime Mod, LR UCA's, OEM Roof Rack, Satoshi grill with Devil Horns Emblem, USA Spec PA-15 Toy Ipod Integration, Redline Tuning Hood Struts and EZ Down Tailgate.
    Bedliners will fade as you probably have seen on some trucks. You can spray over them, but it will cost you. I found that if you have the rubber bedliner, you can use "Mother's Back to Black" and it will keep them from fading. It will also restore faded bedliner. The reason that they fade is because they do "dry out." If you did your fenders, I would reccomend putting Back to Black or Leather Conditioner on them every so often. You wouldn't have any problems.

11. Aug 3, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    So this Indy Bedliner of which you speak, do they follow the old Henry Ford pilosiphy? Any color as long as it's black?

12. Aug 3, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    stenyeart

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    It depends on who is spraying it. It is just pigment that is added, so you can make it any color you want. I did several trucks where we mixed pigment to match the color of the truck. From my experience, colors do fade faster than black. I know there are some UV protectant products that can be sprayed over the bedliner, but I have not used them. If I was going to go with color, I would make sure that I was constantly putting leather conditioner on it.

13. Aug 3, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Whats wrong with a cheap can of spray paint? No different than what we did with non-skid on our boat... lol

14. Aug 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    YodaMedic

Member:
    Travis AFB, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I was debating using regular spray paint, but still have the existing issue of the plastic itself getting scratched that cannot get buffed out. So I'm gonna give it a go this weekend hopefully. Kinda of nervous, Stenyeart any advice on how to do this? Never having used bedliner, and the fenders are curved and you mentioned bedliner being self leveling to a point, I would assume this not to be a problem? Thanks dude

15. Aug 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    stenyeart

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    What kind of bedliner are you going to use? For most of them, you are going to want to sand the fender, apply primer and then just do many light coats. It should be real thick, so you wont have to worry about runs. Post some pics when you get it done, it should turn out really good.

16. Aug 3, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    theres a guy on here ???? that did his whole truck in rhino liner.u could get his imput on what he used.maybe.good luck.

17. Aug 3, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    IIRC, his username was gjbonner.

18. Aug 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    thank u.^^^^^^^^

19. Aug 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    YodaMedic

Member:
    Travis AFB, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Thanks bud I appreciate it. Fenders look easy enough to take off, then sand em, prime em, and spray em, I think even someone of my IQ can tackle that! Then blacking out taillights, BHLM. His WHOLE truck???? Wow thats nuts!

Products Discussed in

To Top