LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bedline spray on plastic fenders?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
YodaMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Bedline spray on plastic fenders?

After a recent trip and plenty of Texas pinstriping, the plastic fenders on my Taco acquired some pretty good scratches and they are a mild annoyance to me. I have been trying to find a previous thread but to no avail. Anyone tried this? My theory is that after dismounting the stock plastic fenders, and spraying them with bedliner that the current scratches would be covered as well as preventing future scratches. Any input?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
I like the idea after I scratched my 08' AC. I want to try & do the fr. bumper as well, till I get a REAL one. Wonder how easy a "touch-up" would be?
Anyone w/ bedliner application experience??
Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know but your theory seems correct to me. I guess if the scratches were more like gouges you could always go over those parts first to "fill" and then go back and paint the whole thing.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
That stuff is SUPER hardy- so don't get it on your hootus or clothes or anywhere you don't want it to stick...but it'll cover over anything there as long as they are not deep gouges. It'll cover pinstripes no problem.

If you are worried put a coat of sandable primer or filler primer down between cleaning/sanding and applying the bedliner material. Touch up shouldn't be an issue cause again that shit sticks to damn near everything as long as it's clean.

Take photos of how it looks!!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Thanks guys, they arent bad gouges that plastic on the fenders isnt the strongest plastic and they have just slight indentations where some stronger sticks moulded the plastic is the best way I can describe it. Will definatley take pics, looks like a project for next weekend. Just blacked out my badges this yesterday.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
stenyeart is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
stenyeart's Tacoma Gallery
I sprayed bedliners for about two years at a Toyota Dealership. There are two basic types of bedliners and each have their pro's and con's. A bedliner like Rhino liner is hard and may chip, crack, etc. If you go with Indy Liner or any other rubber-like bedliner, it could tear. I would reccomend that you use the rubber-like stuff on your fenders or bumpers. You will not scratch them and I highly doubt that you will tear it. As far as touch up goes. You can use windshield glue to stick any tears back down and you wouldn't even notice them. All the scratches will be filled in, bedliner is self-leveling to a point. I would also reccomend sanding the fenders and applying primer to them before coating them with any bedliner.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

looking forward ...............
Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #8

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
stenyeart, welcome to the site!
bedliner sprayer-guy.
(We might get some good stuff outta dis guy!)

Indy Liner, eh? Sounds like good stuff.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
One concern that I do have is I have been reading that bedliners like everything else fades eventually with time. And if they faded to a point, could I reapply a layer of liner or time for new fenders and I am sure Toyota charges a lot for those plastic things. And Stenyeart I agree I think the rubber ish is a good choice, as I dont see myself offroading so hardcore in my daily driver that I tear bedliner from my fenders! If I managed to tear bedliner I probably have bigger truck problems than my fenders haha
Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
Bedliners will fade as you probably have seen on some trucks. You can spray over them, but it will cost you. I found that if you have the rubber bedliner, you can use "Mother's Back to Black" and it will keep them from fading. It will also restore faded bedliner. The reason that they fade is because they do "dry out." If you did your fenders, I would reccomend putting Back to Black or Leather Conditioner on them every so often. You wouldn't have any problems.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #11

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
So this Indy Bedliner of which you speak, do they follow the old Henry Ford pilosiphy? Any color as long as it's black?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
It depends on who is spraying it. It is just pigment that is added, so you can make it any color you want. I did several trucks where we mixed pigment to match the color of the truck. From my experience, colors do fade faster than black. I know there are some UV protectant products that can be sprayed over the bedliner, but I have not used them. If I was going to go with color, I would make sure that I was constantly putting leather conditioner on it.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart View Post
Bedliners will fade as you probably have seen on some trucks. You can spray over them, but it will cost you. I found that if you have the rubber bedliner, you can use "Mother's Back to Black" and it will keep them from fading. It will also restore faded bedliner. The reason that they fade is because they do "dry out." If you did your fenders, I would reccomend putting Back to Black or Leather Conditioner on them every so often. You wouldn't have any problems.

Whats wrong with a cheap can of spray paint? No different than what we did with non-skid on our boat... lol
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
I was debating using regular spray paint, but still have the existing issue of the plastic itself getting scratched that cannot get buffed out. So I'm gonna give it a go this weekend hopefully. Kinda of nervous, Stenyeart any advice on how to do this? Never having used bedliner, and the fenders are curved and you mentioned bedliner being self leveling to a point, I would assume this not to be a problem? Thanks dude
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
What kind of bedliner are you going to use? For most of them, you are going to want to sand the fender, apply primer and then just do many light coats. It should be real thick, so you wont have to worry about runs. Post some pics when you get it done, it should turn out really good.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
theres a guy on here ???? that did his whole truck in rhino liner.u could get his imput on what he used.maybe.good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
theres a guy on here ???? that did his whole truck in rhino liner.u could get his imput on what he used.maybe.good luck.
IIRC, his username was gjbonner.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
thank u.^^^^^^^^
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Thanks bud I appreciate it. Fenders look easy enough to take off, then sand em, prime em, and spray em, I think even someone of my IQ can tackle that! Then blacking out taillights, BHLM. His WHOLE truck???? Wow thats nuts!