Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DRL melting lense

Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
DRL melting lense

I noticed on my Taco that the DRL's is melting the lenses. Does anyone else have this problem? I have an appointment with my dealership this coming Wednesday and will see what they plan to do for me.

Also, anyone have problems with their rear sliding glass weather strip coming off? How did you fix it? Will the dealership fix it? I tried like hell to fix it.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808trdsport View Post
I noticed on my Taco that the DRL's is melting the lenses. Does anyone else have this problem? I have an appointment with my dealership this coming Wednesday and will see what they plan to do for me.

Also, anyone have problems with their rear sliding glass weather strip coming off? How did you fix it? Will the dealership fix it? I tried like hell to fix it.

Got any pics of the light? Have you changed anything lighting wise on your truck?

On the weather stripping I think I read a couple of people getting that taken care of by the dealer.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Theres another thread, seems like the same problem

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-heads-up.html
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Theres another thread, seems like the same problem

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-heads-up.html
Thats exactly where mine is melting too. My DRL is stock, from the dealership. Only thing I have changed is my headlights to HIDs. I can't wait for the dealership to try and blame those on this problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
beginah will become famous soon enough
beginah's Tacoma Gallery
mine actually burnt all the way through so there's a hole now. 60,000 miles. let me know what the dealer says.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginah View Post
mine actually burnt all the way through so there's a hole now. 60,000 miles. let me know what the dealer says.
UPDATE:
I just took my taco into the dealership today. They will replace the headlights and the whole rear sliding window. I spoke to my friend who had both done to his taco too. He told me the rear sliding window is a new and improved weather strip, so they fixed the problem. The headlights will be changed but they will not fix the problem of it melting again. So I may have to look for LED's to keep them cooler.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #7

another update:
Well the dealer called me yesterday and said they replaced the rear window. Then the guy said that I modified the headlights by putting HIDs so they will not cover it under warranty. So I complain to them, and say the HIDs has nothing to do with the DRLs melting the lenses. And I also tell them if they want to put it down in writing that will not do the work. Then if there is a fire I will sue. So anyway they will fix it this one time.
So if it happens again I will need to put the stock headlight bulbs in.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
jbrady is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
jbrady's Tacoma Gallery
I am having the same problem with my daylights melting, i was told that my veh was told that since my veh had more than thiry five thousand miles that they would only replace the parts, the labor is more than 300.00, if anyone nows who i can call outside of my local media please let me know, this is unreasonable. I have no control of the daylights melting, afriad to park it in the garage for fear of a fire.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady View Post
I am having the same problem with my daylights melting, i was told that my veh was told that since my veh had more than thiry five thousand miles that they would only replace the parts, the labor is more than 300.00, if anyone nows who i can call outside of my local media please let me know, this is unreasonable. I have no control of the daylights melting, afriad to park it in the garage for fear of a fire.
Better, more up to date thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ur-lights.html
Old 10-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
woods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woods247's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is out of warranty and my dealer covered everything for free today. I was the first to bring it to their attention about a year ago and they've seen several since. Toyota is aware of the problem and (according to my dealer) they've changed the design of the DTRL lens. My new lights have a clear DTRL lens instead of the yellowish tinted one. Not sure if the material is different but the bulbs are the same. If your dealers don't offer to cover it, I suggest finding another or show them the hundreds of threads about this problem like I did. That motivated them to look into it and they discovered Toyota is requesting documentation of occurrences. Mine lenses completely melted and broke free at 70K. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
TR6BILL is on a distinguished road
Army:
TR6BILL's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 Prerunner has the burnt DTRL option and is out of warranty. Toyota is in negotiation with me to change both headlight assemblies. The dealer wants over $900.00 for the new ones. There is a service bulletin from Toyota about this (TSB012911) so they are aware of it. Call Toyota @ 800-331-4331 and bitch to high hell. They might listen.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Monkey Sweat
Bubbarr is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sgt
Name: Duane
Bubbarr's Tacoma Gallery
I called Toyota. They acted as if they had never heard of the DTRLs melting and cracking. They said I would have to see a dealer. Lame sauce.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbarr View Post
I called Toyota. They acted as if they had never heard of the DTRLs melting and cracking. They said I would have to see a dealer. Lame sauce.
Thread revival!! Whoever you called is probably lying. Toyota should have known about this problem since 2005 when the 2nd gens started coming out. I know different people that have Tacomas with the OEM DTRL's and most dont have issues but others do for some reason. I think aftermarket bulbs affect them as well.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
If you replace the DRL with LED's is this something that should be bought as well?

http://www.bl-led.com.au/store/index...roducts_id=118

would buying above mean you do not need Resistors for Turn Signals
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
The melting DRLs are a TSB. I had mine replaced for free.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
what is the TSB number???
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
TSB link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...coming-up.html

Ray
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
FAWK! I just noticed the driver side DRL is melting. I read that the warranty only applies to 3yrs or 36K miles, whichever comes first. I'm past the 3 yrs (4yrs now) and have 38.5K miles. Gonna try and plead my case to the dealer and show them the TSB and see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Thanks