1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DRL melting lense

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 808trdsport, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Aug 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    808trdsport

808trdsport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
    I noticed on my Taco that the DRL's is melting the lenses. Does anyone else have this problem? I have an appointment with my dealership this coming Wednesday and will see what they plan to do for me.

Also, anyone have problems with their rear sliding glass weather strip coming off? How did you fix it? Will the dealership fix it? I tried like hell to fix it.

2. Aug 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

Got any pics of the light? Have you changed anything lighting wise on your truck?

On the weather stripping I think I read a couple of people getting that taken care of by the dealer.

3. Aug 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Wiggins likes this.
  4. Aug 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    808trdsport

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
  5. Aug 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    beginah

beginah Well-Known Member

Member:
    mine actually burnt all the way through so there's a hole now. 60,000 miles. let me know what the dealer says.

6. Aug 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    808trdsport

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE:
    I just took my taco into the dealership today. They will replace the headlights and the whole rear sliding window. I spoke to my friend who had both done to his taco too. He told me the rear sliding window is a new and improved weather strip, so they fixed the problem. The headlights will be changed but they will not fix the problem of it melting again. So I may have to look for LED's to keep them cooler.

7. Aug 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    808trdsport

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    another update:
    Well the dealer called me yesterday and said they replaced the rear window. Then the guy said that I modified the headlights by putting HIDs so they will not cover it under warranty. So I complain to them, and say the HIDs has nothing to do with the DRLs melting the lenses. And I also tell them if they want to put it down in writing that will not do the work. Then if there is a fire I will sue. So anyway they will fix it this one time.
    So if it happens again I will need to put the stock headlight bulbs in.

8. Oct 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    jbrady

jbrady New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    daylights melting
    I am having the same problem with my daylights melting, i was told that my veh was told that since my veh had more than thiry five thousand miles that they would only replace the parts, the labor is more than 300.00, if anyone nows who i can call outside of my local media please let me know, this is unreasonable. I have no control of the daylights melting, afriad to park it in the garage for fear of a fire.

9. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    woods247

woods247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    back yonder
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    SAWs front, Fox resi rear, Total Chaos UCAs, 17" BBS RD-Truck FJ Rims with 255 BFG KM2s, TRD exhaust/intake, OME Springs, All-Pro flip kit, Timbren rear bumpstops, custom spare carrier, All-Pro skids, Beefed Sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synth MasterPull line, Procomp 30" LED lightbar, Bestop Soft topper, Safari Snorkel, CBI Bushmaster (custom), Baja Racks Utility rack, All Pro custom bed rack, Leer 100XQ
    My truck is out of warranty and my dealer covered everything for free today. I was the first to bring it to their attention about a year ago and they've seen several since. Toyota is aware of the problem and (according to my dealer) they've changed the design of the DTRL lens. My new lights have a clear DTRL lens instead of the yellowish tinted one. Not sure if the material is different but the bulbs are the same. If your dealers don't offer to cover it, I suggest finding another or show them the hundreds of threads about this problem like I did. That motivated them to look into it and they discovered Toyota is requesting documentation of occurrences. Mine lenses completely melted and broke free at 70K. Good luck.

10. Nov 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    TR6BILL

TR6BILL Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 4 cyl, 2WD, 5 sp
    My 09 Prerunner has the burnt DTRL option and is out of warranty. Toyota is in negotiation with me to change both headlight assemblies. The dealer wants over $900.00 for the new ones. There is a service bulletin from Toyota about this (TSB012911) so they are aware of it. Call Toyota @ 800-331-4331 and bitch to high hell. They might listen.

11. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    Bubbarr

Bubbarr Monkey Sweat

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    SD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road 4X4
    DynoLock Auto tailgate lock, 16" Konig Counter steer Off roads, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2.5 King front and rear with remote reservoir, Built Right UCA, Deaver 3 pack, SD Truck Shop Custom Sliders.
    I called Toyota. They acted as if they had never heard of the DTRLs melting and cracking. They said I would have to see a dealer. Lame sauce.

12. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Thread revival!! Whoever you called is probably lying. Toyota should have known about this problem since 2005 when the 2nd gens started coming out. I know different people that have Tacomas with the OEM DTRL's and most dont have issues but others do for some reason. I think aftermarket bulbs affect them as well.

13. Apr 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  14. Apr 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    The melting DRLs are a TSB. I had mine replaced for free.

15. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    93civEJ1

93civEJ1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR
    Procomp 6" Stage 1, Bilstein 5100's in front, flowmaster 40 series
    what is the TSB number???

16. Apr 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
  17. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    deeznutz

deeznutz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DC LB 4x4
  18. Jan 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    gsuit11

gsuit11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport double cab 4x4
    Pioneer AVIC-z130BT, complete tacotunes audio upgrade with sound deadening. Full OME suspension upgrade.
    I just saw all of these posts unfortunately, both of my headlights are melting and I am out of the TSB extended warranty by about a year. Has anybody else been out of the warranty and attempted to have toyota replace their headlights?

19. Jan 2, 2017 at 12:16 PM
    ABNFDC

ABNFDC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Granite State
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD Access Cab TRD OR "Rugged Trail"
    265/75/16 Wildpeaks, Dakar rear, HS 2.5" front coils

I was unsuccessful about three months ago but didn't try very hard at the dealership.

Was eating at a restaurant accross the street from the local dealer, and one of their mechanics noticed the melting and left a note on my windshield*. Went in to the dealer the next day and inquired about it, but the service manager I spoke with wasn't aware of any current TSB for my situation. At over 100K and being an 08, I wasn't surprised. I was informed about the leaf spring recall though. Still debating whether or not I want to do that.

*even though it didn't work, and even if one of the motives may have been to recruit business for their service department, I thought the note was a nice touch. Dude was driving a nice new 3rd Gen too.

20. Jan 3, 2017 at 10:54 AM
    gsuit11

gsuit11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport double cab 4x4
    Pioneer AVIC-z130BT, complete tacotunes audio upgrade with sound deadening. Full OME suspension upgrade.
    Good news for anyone who missed the cutoff date of the TSB. I called Toyota customer service and plead my case specifically stating that my headlights are melting, which is unacceptable and that they should be replaced regardless of a TSB end date because headlights straight up should never MELT. They seemed to agree with me and had me go to my local dealership for an estimate/diagnostic check on the headlights which cost ($64.95). Anyway, the diagnostic came back stating that both headlights are indeed melting and need to be replaced at $940.12 including labor. I called toyota back and informed them of what I had been told, they offered me a reimbursement of $750.00 to get the lights replaced!!!!! Ideally, it would have been nice to have the total cost covered but at this point, I will take what I can get considering I missed the TSB deadline. It will only be $160 out of pocket which wouldn't even pay for a decent set of aftermarket lights (if thats even a thing).

Moral of the story: If your day time running lights are melting your headlight assembly and you missed the TSB, call Toyota and let them have it because they WILL cover the bulk of the cost for replacement.

Products Discussed in

To Top