Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Squeaking noise in reverse

Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
token2k6 is on a distinguished road
token2k6's Tacoma Gallery
Squeaking noise in reverse

Ok, so I've stated before that my truck suffers from the spring-leaf / silencer-pad problem (had it in 4 times, dealer just says they're waiting on new 'prototype pads') Anyways, so just as soon as I accept that squeaking noise as part of my daily routine and life...a horrible new sound pops up.

The past week, everytime I put the truck in reverse, i starts to squeal in a rotational or revolutionary (sorry I don't know what word I'm looking for) sort of way. I backed all the way down my street, and the more gas I put on, the faster and faster the squeaking would get.

I think its mainly coming from the rear, my main concern is I might be damaging something on my truck by hesistating to take it to the dealer to be looked at. I just washed it, the leaf spring squeak went away (which is usually the case after a wash) but not this sound.

Any tips on what part of the truck this might be would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
doudle d is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
doudle d's Tacoma Gallery
U joints
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Put some grease in your Carrier bearing. I packed it full of grease and stopped it immediately
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on u-joints, carrier, lube the slip joint too.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Also....

If you put on your brakes, does the squeeking stop?

Cycle your ebrake a few times and perhaps open up the drums to take a look inside. This may or may not have something to do with the drum brakes in reverse & self adjusting,etc.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Also....

If you put on your brakes, does the squeeking stop?

Cycle your ebrake a few times and perhaps open up the drums to take a look inside. This may or may not have something to do with the drum brakes in reverse & self adjusting,etc.
Good point, It could also be the brake "reminder" for your drum brakes.

The OP said it mostly in reverse, though. I guess we will have to wait what he says.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
memphis guy is on a distinguished road
Name: John
memphis guy's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to dredge up a three year old thread, but the OP's description is exactly what my truck started doing a few weeks ago.

Truck: 07 PreRunner Access Cab (V6, auto, Off-Road Pkg.), 100,000 mi.

Making a bad "rotational" squeak from under the truck, only in reverse. Quits doing it every few days (possibly weather/temp-related).

So, does anyone definitively know what it is? Does the fact that it only squeaks in reverse mean that only one joint is bad? Can I get away with just lubing? I haven't seen any zerks under there.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Greaseable U Joints? Dont think prerunners have them, mine didnt at least.

Its defentally the U Joints tho. Mine started off in reverse then started going full time.

If not greasable then you'll have to replace them, all of them because the others could fail eventually too. Good news, 3 U Joints are only ~$100 and couple hours labour.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
memphis guy is on a distinguished road
Name: John
memphis guy's Tacoma Gallery
OK, thanks for that.

So, anyone have a recommendation for a brand that sells greasable U-joints?

Thinking about going with some of those instead of the sealed Auto Zone units.

Also, what's the deal on this driveshaft carrier bearing and "slip yoke?" Worth replacing those too while I'm at it?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 09-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Moog suspension and drivetrain, or factory parts are the best options.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Rent a ball joint press from autozone. Use it to press out the u-joints, and save yourself money. Just make sure you mark the shaft so it's phased properly, and don't squish a needle bearing putting them back together.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
clintron3000 is on a distinguished road

Name: clinton
clintron3000's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to once again revive this thread.

Same issue as above... JUST started last week.
I got the grease gun out and hit all the zerks.

Still squeeking in reverse... but only at low speeds, if I really get on it in reverse the squeeking goes away.

The only thing without a zerk is the carrier bearing. could this be the problem? Or is greasing just not necessarily guaranteed to get rid of the squeek?

finally... can't I just drive it until it starts doing this going forward? Any risks in just ignoring it until it gets worse?