1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Radio...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by excalis, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust

LOL...the dealer knew I was coming in for the radio issue..so they call me and tell me that they need to order a radio (they told they knew I needed a radio a week ago) so I asked them...you knew this last week and your now telling me you need to order a radio after I dropped it off all day...AND you knew a week ago I was coming in for a radio!!!!!!!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    wvtac0

wvtac0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Panhandle - WV
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD DC Sport
    Sorry that I did not get back sooner but here is my update. Dealer called me and I went ahead and had a radio ordered. Radio is now turning itself off and on. When the radio is off, I hit the dash over where the radio sits and the radio comes back on. Definitely a loose electrical connection somewhere. I asked about the TSB and dealer had no clue. They said something about a TSB was issued for the Lexus, but nothing for the Tacoma.

I'll keep all of you posted.

3. Aug 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    testedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    My dealer say the radio's are on back order for at least another 5 weeks..if they paid fro an after market I would put that in..

4. Aug 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    testedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    yes I call every week :)

5. Aug 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Mine's turning itself off now, on top of all the other glitches.
    Dealer (Broadway) will not start the replacement process until a tech "witnesses" the malfunction.
    So now the next time it goes berserk I have to drop everything and bring it in while it is malfunctioning.
    They know that they have a bad batch of HU's....why saddle us with the "witness" crap ?

6. Aug 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    glandnut

glandnut Reserve Squirrel Hair

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    16' 4Runner TEP, 01' Ext cab 4x4
    secret stuff.
    So how can I tell if the volume control is even working?? I can't tell a difference if it's off, low mid, or high sensitivity and my ears are pretty well trained..

7. Aug 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    When mine's malfunctioning, and it's an intermittent thing, I will lose control of volume completely.
    If the HU's volume setting happened to be be set at 40, then that's where it will stay, no matter what I do with the volume control knob.

With the tuner, it will do the same thing.
    The tuner will move (off station) one click left or right by itself sometimes.
    The HU will suddenly turn itself at times.

8. Aug 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    excalis

excalis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Guys, when you get your replacement make sure they know how to properly install the unit. I know it is the dealership but they scuffed the area under the AC controls when they popped them out. They actually should have removed the blanks underneath my AC vents then pushed on the controls instead.

The scuffs aren't extemely bad but enough that makes me lose confidence in the dealership. Just make sure you let them know and also check it when done. I will probably let it go as I would be afraid of more damage. Now I do not know if I would let them do the supercharger upgrade for me.

Good Luck all, the new radio so far is good. If it kicks the bucket on me I will ask for some compensation. This would be ok on a used vehicle but not on a new one. I waited over a month for it to come in and almost had it sent back because they said the called and could not get a hold of me, well, I had no messages or missed call history from them. Got lucky I had shown up to get service done and asked about it.

9. Aug 31, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 Reg. Cab, Debadged Barcelona Red
    seat belt chime inter. wipers debadged canvas top (Bestop)
    Got my radio replaced about a month ago. Now this one is acting up. They ordered another piece of crap for me. They tell me that the same radio, by the same manufacturer is going into the 2010 also. good luck guys

10. Aug 31, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    Nrtwoodstoy

Nrtwoodstoy New Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC 4x4 auto Base
    The dealer ordered mine today. Hopefully this fixes it. Same promblem, volume knob sometimes dosen't work, changes channels and shuts off on its own. Truck only has 1200 miles.

11. Aug 31, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for mentioning this, excalis.
    Mine is eventually going to get replaced and I was wondering if they can get in and out with no trace.
    I'll hold their feet to the fire at the frontend and see if that gets me their best tech.

12. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    TOOLguy420

TOOLguy420 Spiral out...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Holden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4X4 AC Mag Gray
    Eclipse AVN6620 w/iPod Bluetooth & Sirius, RF SP-64, JL ZR525csi, Q-logic kicks, JL HD600/4, JL HD750/1, JL 12W6v2, ToyTec 3" Ultimate, LR UCAs, SS Brake Lines, BEL Vector, Wet Okole
    Another '09 Taco with the same radio problems :mad:...I'm about to install my AVN-6620, but the dealership is going to replace the stocker before I do - I will not accept a defective radio whether it's installed in the truck or not.

13. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    wvtac0

wvtac0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Panhandle - WV
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD DC Sport
    I just took pictures of the radio with the various lights off. The "Warranty" lady said that she believed me and asked what I wanted to do. Wait or order a replacement. I went ahead and had her order me a replacement. That's been a couple of weeks ago. Called a few days ago and still not in.

14. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    My replacement has been on order for about 2 weeks now. Popped into the dealer yesterday to ask about it and they didn't have an ETA for me.

15. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    TOOLguy420

TOOLguy420 Spiral out...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Holden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4X4 AC Mag Gray
    Eclipse AVN6620 w/iPod Bluetooth & Sirius, RF SP-64, JL ZR525csi, Q-logic kicks, JL HD600/4, JL HD750/1, JL 12W6v2, ToyTec 3" Ultimate, LR UCAs, SS Brake Lines, BEL Vector, Wet Okole
    Went to the stealership today - they told me at least 4-5 weeks to get a replacement...

mad_d14e0f98e31713a58823ea8d1b129d5f2fbd7331.gifWTFmad_d14e0f98e31713a58823ea8d1b129d5f2fbd7331.gif

16. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    That's a good idea.
    Today it went "off-station" one click left, then it re-locked on station after about 5 min.
    After that episode, it shut itself off approx 10 min later :(

I've heard that the replacement units are around 6 weeks out.
    Many failing HU's out there.

17. Sep 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    Is this just happening on 09s? I've got an 08 and (thankfully) I haven't had any probs yet. Just not a big fan with the OEM is all

18. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09's only, AFAIK.

19. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Yeah... I'm all over THIS thread with the same problem. Here's the Cliff's notes version of my experience:

- original radio started acting flakey the day after I bought the truck (loss of volume control and/or backlight going out intermittently).
    - It got more and more frequent until I finally went to the dealership in mid-April and they ordered a new unit (which someone on here said is actually just a refurbished unit from someone else who had problems).
    - "new" unit finally came in and was installed end of April. The service "tech" gouged up the bezel around the radio and the panel behind the HVAC controls in the process. I complained... they replaced all of that too.
    - New unit started doing the SAME THING last month and is getting progressively worse/more frequent. In addition to the volume control going out, the radio turned itself completely off today. That was special.

These radios are made by Delphi (a former subsidiary of GM) and they're apparently CRAP. Delphi has been in bankruptcy for a while and are in the process of coming out of it. I like the factory look of the stock unit, but I think I'm going to punt and just buy a good aftermarket unit from crutchfield.com. I don't want to go through all that hassle again just to end up in this same position again a few months from now. I AM going to complain to Toyota first (maybe the regional rep) to see if they'll give me an allowance for the broken radio instead of replacing it again. I seriously doubt they will, but it's worth a shot.

20. Sep 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    excalis

excalis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Sorry to hear about your radio Raven65 mine so far has been working out great. I never went back for them to replace my damaged bezel though, its not to bad and I just don't want to risk more problems.

Of course now that my radio is good I will probably hose it while trying the light change mod on it :)

I have to try my skills on it first before the dash cluster which will be more expensive to fix if I mess it up.

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top