1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Radio...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by excalis, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Sep 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    Ampz

Ampz Member

Member:
    Phila area
    Vehicle:
    4x4,dblcab,shortbed
    bed cap w/ ladderrack
    Iv'e been having problems withe my stereo May,of course when I initially took it the dealer the problems never happened.The 2nd time there however the tech went ahead & ordered a new {hopefully not a refurb.} unit. That was back on July 23, I called the dealer twice 3 wks after that {2wks apart} but with no satisfaction. Last wk I called US cust service who got back to me today who told me it will be at my dealers on the 23rd of Sept.......8 FLIPPIN WKS......For a radio that should have been recalled in the 1st place

2. Sep 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Ampz

Ampz Member

Member:
    Phila area
    Vehicle:
    4x4,dblcab,shortbed
    bed cap w/ ladderrack
    I'm going to call cust service tomorrow & if they install another peice of junk I'm goin aftermarket...And see if they'll pay for installation at the very least.I think Toyota should take a more serious stance on this problem

3. Sep 10, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    Good luck with that.

4. Sep 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    Ampz

Ampz Member

Member:
    Phila area
    Vehicle:
    4x4,dblcab,shortbed
    bed cap w/ ladderrack
    Thanks for all the welcome posts!!! According to the rep I spoke to today {not Jay the rep whos handling my "case" as they call it} they have had way too many problems with the rebuilt units so any replacements are going to be brand new stereos. As far as paying for an after market stereo he left that up to Jay who I'll call Monday AM .Good luck to all those waiting for new equipment

5. Sep 12, 2009 at 3:25 AM
    sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 Reg. Cab, Debadged Barcelona Red
    seat belt chime inter. wipers debadged canvas top (Bestop)
    The manufacturer, Delphi, is redesigning the radio. That's why it takes 6-8 weeks for the replacement.

6. Sep 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    jpg366

jpg366 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
    Dealer quoted 42 days yesterday for new radio.

7. Sep 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    excalis

excalis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    That is crazy. You know, people who buy a new vehicle should be taken care of better than that. If mine had been used then I could understand if the radio was bad due to abuse, age, etc. But on a new vehicle it is a different story.

I wonder what would have happend if I had held on to a down payment or something, just given a post-dated check for a month or two. They probably wouldn't have sold me a vehicle. Once the deals are done then you are stuck and just have to deal with it or make a fuss, glad I got something in return with the rear TSB.

8. Sep 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    MEANGREENTACOMA09

MEANGREENTACOMA09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica 09 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    TRD cat back exhaust, rain visors, limo tent on back pasenger windows and 35 percent added to back factory tint window. 35 on front driver and pasenger side. Sport pedals, all weather fl mats, roof rack, front skid plate , BFG ALL TERAINS including spare. ALL installed by dealer.
    This is my second o9 tacoma and my second stereo issue. The first one came in in about three weeks that was this past Jan. This time they are telling my it will be 8-12 weeks that they are back ordered. I called the Toyota care to get them involved and am trying to negotiate an upgraded stereo out of the deal specially since I have had the same problem with two different Tacomas. Will see what they say.

9. Sep 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I offered to pay the difference on an upgraded OEM radio and they said I can only have what my VIN states it should have. Hopefully in your case they will do something different since this is your second issue with the OEM units.

10. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    It is hard to say who you can trust at the other end of the line. Most of the time those boy's will tell anything so you won;t give them a bad rating on the next Survey. One thing is certain -Toyota is not happy at all with this and trying to resolve it as quick is possible.

#1- It took mine aprox two months- about average after what I see in this forum.
    #2-I got a refurbish one and not a new one. The dealer told me that they always installed refurbish the first time and if the problem continue then Toyota may ask for a new one.
    #3- Toyota does not want to compromise with you if you offer them to pay for the difference and get a better one because = They don't pay for any of this. Is the radio manufacturer- in this case Delphi- who is picking up the entire bill. As always if you take a look at a Contract between a corporation and a customer,,,,,, you do have a loooots of small printing. In this case ---No, they are not require to give us a new one. I am pissed off also but you have to accept and deal with the reality sometime. Put it this way now,,, new or refurbish ???? who cares??? It works how it should be and I still have 3 years coverage.

Hope you get your radio and problem resolved.

11. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I would think that even if it is Delphi that makes the radio, Toyota buys or allows the placement of this unit in their vehicle. It is like being guilty by association. That unit is included somewhere in the price of the vehicle which you will be paying for.

The whole small print thing kinda sucks. I hardly ever read it, I should start and also research the vehicle looking to be pucrhased a bit better. Althought I did read and hear about Toyota's reliability and reputation, I never dug into forums to find out about known issues like this and the TSB until after I bought it.

It really shouldn't be a big deal I guess, heck you can get an aftermarket radio that offers better features for the cost of the darn OEM Ipod Interface cable they try to sell for over $200. Some people like myself though would like to put that amount into other items for the vehicle.

I know for a fact that if you ask them to take the radio out and give you the cost towards the purchase of the vehicle you will be told no, it is part of the vehicle and you pay for it. Oh well, so far my radio is still working and the salesman did call to check on me.

I did let them know about that others have had the unit replaced and continued to have problems, I asked what would happen then and was just told that they would take care of it. Anyway, as mentioned I will be modding the radio so all of this won't matter much. It will be my fault if it breaks and warranty for it is void.

12. Sep 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM
    elevin

elevin Habitual line-stepper

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    South Fla.
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    15% tint over factory all around, U-Haul hitch, Hopkins wiring harness, 2.25" ReadyLift spacer/ AAL kit, 265/70/17's on Gunmetal/Machined Enkeis, JVC head unit w/ Ipod interface, WalMart seat covers, hoseclamp mod, seatbelt beep mod, bedrail bike mounts, 6 D-rings in bed, Pop N Lock
    See if they can comp you a credit towards some gear and get an aftermarket one! Kenwood and JVC make them that control an Ipod, have front and rear USB/Bluetooth for your phone, and illuminate orange. and companies like Crutchfield will give you free shipping/install kit & wiring harness. Around 2 bills all told-

13. Sep 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DoubleCab Short Bed
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    the only way i see of fix this is getting a new aftermarket stereo. I'm having the same issues as all of you, dealer quoted me about 2 months wait for new one, I said F it and I'm going to put in a double din dvd player unit. Dont need gps and all that fancy stuff as I got google maps and garmin on my cell phone. I can get a nice pioneer on Amazon for about 400 shipped.

14. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    wvtac0

wvtac0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Panhandle - WV
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD DC Sport
    I just got back from dealer after radio R&R. I'll see if the problem has been fixed. I hope so.

15. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    Spillwaybob

Spillwaybob Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab V-6 4X4 SR5 pkg.
    My replacement radio was ordered on Aug. 10 and still no radio in sight. Same problem most of you are having......cuts on and off, volume knob doesn't work at times, led display goes blank, etc. Certainly didn't expect parts problem when I bought a Toyota.
    Spillwaybob

16. Oct 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    TOOLguy420

TOOLguy420 Spiral out...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Holden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4X4 AC Mag Gray
    Eclipse AVN6620 w/iPod Bluetooth & Sirius, RF SP-64, JL ZR525csi, Q-logic kicks, JL HD600/4, JL HD750/1, JL 12W6v2, ToyTec 3" Ultimate, LR UCAs, SS Brake Lines, BEL Vector, Wet Okole
    I've now been waiting over 2 months for mine...WTF Toyota?

17. Nov 3, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    excalis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Sorry to hear your radios have not come in, I got mine and it is still working as intended. I am about to replace it though (hopefully) with a Clarion CX-609 that has the amber lighting available as a color.

I will be putting my OEM radio up for sale, here first then on Ebay if I don't get any bites on it.

Good luck!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top