1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Radio...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by excalis, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    excalis

excalis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I bought my Tacoma brand new and began having issues with the radio as mentioned in this forum. I had them order one about a month or two and still have not received it in.

I was ok with it at first but now it is bugging me, I called the sales guy and said he would call me back in an hour but never heard back. This after buying a Tacoma and 4Runner from him, and was about to buy another vehicle as well.

I know the first thing most say is to replace the OEM and get an aftermarket, but to me the OEM radio has what I need and sounds good enough for me. It gives me the AUX input, MP3/WMA function, and the option for IPOD integration/satellite radio (which I have the antenna already installed for from the factory).

I am afraid to receive a refurbished radio that will end up having the same issues, or if they do get a new one end up the same way. I could use the money that would be spent on an aftermaket for my running boards or the cruise control/intermittent wiper deal.

I feel like telling them to compensate me for the radio, but not sure at this point. What do you all think?

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    I think you are in the same boat as many of us are and just need to suck it up. This one of those things in life were you just need to have patience.

3. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    RTTacoma

RTTacoma Member

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab 4x2
    SR5 look, 16" RAV4 alloys, fog lights
    I'm in that same boat (starting to sound more like a ship), just curious, has anyone had this problem fixed satisfactorily?

4. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Dealer told me 9 weeks for a new one so I replaced it with an aftermarket one. Every time I hit a bump, my radio would turn off. Brand new truck.

If they are replacing it, I am not sure weather the new one would be prone to the same issue.

5. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    They fixed mine. Brought it in one day, they verified the problem. Couldn't find it and ordered me a new radio anyway. A week later, it was in, I drove in and got it replaced in < an hour, new one has not had problems yet in 3 months.

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    im at the dealership right now getting mine replaced, took them 8 weeks to get the radio in.

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    09_yota

09_yota New Member

Member:
    2009 Taco radio replaced and it sounds MUCH better than the old one for some reason. Much stronger bass. It took over a month for the replacement, as there were none in the states for a month or more according to the dealer. I'm wondering if they installed the upgraded radio since the cheapo was unavailable for so long?

8. Aug 4, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    What are the problems you guys are experiencing with your radios? I've got an 09' but haven't had any issues yet that I know of. I want to know what to look out for in case I do start having issues though.

thanks

9. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    Intermittently turns off, goes blank etc...

10. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    wvtac0

wvtac0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Panhandle - WV
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD DC Sport
    I have been having the same problem that most of you have been having with the OEM radio. First, the volume control would not work for a couple of minutes then it started working. A few trips later the lights for the buttons on the bottom of the radio quit working....now the lights are back. On this mornings trip to work, the radio shut off all by itself.

The dealer said that a lot of people were having the same problem and that if I could live with it for a little longer, Toyota was working on a remedy. (This is nothing that I already did not know thanks to this great website.)

11. Aug 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    wvtac0

wvtac0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Panhandle - WV
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD DC Sport
    I finally had time to call Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives today and received a case # for my radio problems (i.e. shutting off, lights going off and on, no volume control, etc.). I advised the rep that I had talked to the dealer of the problem and asked if they knew of any date when the radio problem would be fixed. (There is no way I want to replace the radio and get the same problem later with a different radio.)

Anyway, the representative told me that he had learned late last week that a TSB had been issued for the radio. What that means is anyone's guess. The dealer is supposed to call me by Thursday. I'll keep all of you informed.

12. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    an authoritative slap on the dash right above the radio will usually fix it momentarily. mine has not acted up in quite a while and I am happy about it. hopefully Toyota will get this worked out with whichever radio manufacturer they used to make the radios for our trucks and the tsb will make it easy to get this fixed

13. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    I get my radio replaced on Wednesday, dealer said he knows of the problem and they have "fixed" radios for this!

14. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    ^ great! I am glad to see that. good to know that they are not just throwing messed up radios back in to replace messed up radios. that is one of the reasons I have not pursued getting my radio fixed yet

15. Aug 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    skidplate

skidplate Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 taco TRD
    And you believe the Dealer? They steal cadavers and sell the organs on Ebay.
    So what was the problem? If he can't tell you what was wrong, then they don't know how to fix it. If so will take a couple of months for us to find out if they in fact did...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Aug 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    only49ersfan

only49ersfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4X4
    Not much. Step bars, K&N air filter
    Same problems with mine. lights come on as they please (unless i tap on the radio). sometimes the volume knob does not work. My speaker in my drivers door rattles. they ordered me a new speaker and radio. of course the radio is on back order for about a month. hopefully the new radio works good

17. Aug 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Loss of volume control at the head unit....can be bypassed using the steering wheel control.

Will shift one click left or right of station occasionally....hitting the preset or scan will recover it.

Time for service.

18. Aug 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    Mine, for the most part, "only" randomly shuts off on a sharp bump. Occasionally the volume acts on its own. Dropping the truck off tomorrow to fix another issue the truck had when I took delivery, will be bringing up the radio issue when I drop it off.

19. Aug 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    MY09TACO

MY09TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    CENTRAL FL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica TRD SPORT
    NONE
    I just noticed that my volume seems to get lower at times and then the volume will go back to normal.
    Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

20. Aug 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    when I have the asl turned on sometimes it makes the base boom really loud like it raises the bass volume but not the mids or highs. I usually turn the asl off if it does that but kind of like the asl on low most of the time for the added boost to the music

Products Discussed in

To Top