Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstein 5100's vs. OME 885's

Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Tacoluver will become famous soon enough
Tacoluver's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100's vs. OME 885's

Hello new guy here just got an 06 DC SB TRD off road in Speedway Blue last week. I love the truck and really need to lift it among other things. After researching the site here for the past three weeks and reading the Lift FAQ a few times I have narrowed my options down to these two along with AAL's for the rear. I would like the 3" lift but will sacrafice .5" if it's better on the truck, in terms alignment vibrations etc. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Tacoluver
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
ive been told by a few guys that the ome ride a little to soft, while the 5100's are just an all-around better shock.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
What is your price range? I would go with the billys all around and get the TSB or AAL in the rear.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
try this!
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 5100s at 2.5 on a 265 75 16 tire and regret it. I was in your seat and settled for the 1/2 inch less. Just save and get what you want. Of course now the upside for me is when im ready for new tires i can get the toytec coilovers mounted onto the 5100s and have 3.5" lift and run 285's.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I run both...5100's at their lowest setting with the OME 885 Coil and 1/2" top plate spacer. I am getting about 2.5" of lift since the 885 coils settled.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcs1987 View Post
I have the 5100s at 2.5 on a 265 75 16 tire and regret it. I was in your seat and settled for the 1/2 inch less. Just save and get what you want. Of course now the upside for me is when im ready for new tires i can get the toytec coilovers mounted onto the 5100s and have 3.5" lift and run 285's.
My 285's are PERFECT with 2.5" on the 5100's. One of the best, most inexpensive mods I have done to my truck so far was this lift. I've owned coilovers and a lot of others. Truck rides great. I say go for it and save some moola!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
Are you looking to pair the 5100's with 885's or OME 3" lift with 885's?

I have 5100's all around and 285's. Plan on getting a AAL later on. I have 885's at home just not on. On the fence about putting them on. You could do what ilovetacos did. Serve his needs and purpose. Not sure if he has plans in the future for upgrading.

5100's alone are a great way to lift/level off the truck at a good price. Depending on your purpose (daily driver?) of the truck you should be fine. If your looking for something beefier (off roading) but on a budget then look into the Ultimate Lift Kit from Toytec or the OME 3" Lift. If you have some dough to spend you should look into FOX or Icons.

You should be good with just the AAL in the rear. The TSB (even though i would like to have it) is too much of a hassel to deal with from what i've read on the forum.

4.5 backspace, hub centric wheels, new UCA's (highly recommended but not needed), and definitely get it aligned after the install.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Good351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to behold

Good351's Tacoma Gallery
I had OME 885's with top plate spacer and got 3"+ of lift. I didn't like how it rode so stiff though so took it off. I have 5100's waiting to be put on, then my setup will be just like wmflyfisher's.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Awesome! Thanks for all the replies and good suggestions. As of now I don't wanna drop to much coin on the truck since it's still new and I won't be able to justify it to the lil mrs. So without going super cheap and adding spacers I thought Bille's or OME's paired with AAL's or the TSB springs oughtta do the trick. BTW just got back from the dealer and asked about the TSB, service advisor looked clueless and set me up with a thursday appointment to have a tech look at it.
WMFLYFISHER your truck is at a nice height!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla1880 View Post
Are you looking to pair the 5100's with 885's or OME 3" lift with 885's?

I have 5100's all around and 285's. Plan on getting a AAL later on. I have 885's at home just not on. On the fence about putting them on. You could do what ilovetacos did. Serve his needs and purpose. Not sure if he has plans in the future for upgrading.

5100's alone are a great way to lift/level off the truck at a good price. Depending on your purpose (daily driver?) of the truck you should be fine. If your looking for something beefier (off roading) but on a budget then look into the Ultimate Lift Kit from Toytec or the OME 3" Lift. If you have some dough to spend you should look into FOX or Icons.

You should be good with just the AAL in the rear. The TSB (even though i would like to have it) is too much of a hassel to deal with from what i've read on the forum.

4.5 backspace, hub centric wheels, new UCA's (highly recommended but not needed), and definitely get it aligned after the install.
I don't want to spend the money on new shocks if I opt for OME's, if I can help it. My truck will be a DD and possibly see some dirt trails here and there but nothing major hence the 4X2 Off Road package.
Why is the TSB a hassle to deal with?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoluver View Post
I don't want to spend the money on new shocks if I opt for OME's, if I can help it. My truck will be a DD and possibly see some dirt trails here and there but nothing major hence the 4X2 Off Road package.
Why is the TSB a hassle to deal with?
A little confused here.

Essentially the 5100 Ride Height Adjustable (for the front) is a new strut/shock, so you would be spending money on a new shock. There is also the 5100 for the rear, but it's not RHA. The 885's are coil springs made by OME (Old Man Emu). There are also 884's and 886's. All have different spring rates. The OME 3" Lift kit comes with your choice of spring and also new shocks through toyteclifts.com.

So for my question that i asked in my earlier post. Are you looking to pair a set of 5100 RHA with some 885 springs, or are you looking at getting the OME 3" Lift kit with the 885 springs? Also are you just looking at getting 5100 RHA or just the 885's to replace the stock coils?

As far as the TSB many have taken their truck to dealers hoping to get the rear leaf TSB. Some have been able to get it while others have been turned down. It doesn't hurt to try to see if you qualify for it. Hopefully you are able to get that done.

Like said im running 5100's all around stock coils and stock UCA's. We have the same model and truck package, and seem like your looking at a similar set up. Since you have the OR package you have the locker in the rear, which will help you get through some stuff. Very good to have.

Sorry for the lengthy posts. Just trying to understand.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla1880 View Post
A little confused here.

Essentially the 5100 Ride Height Adjustable (for the front) is a new strut/shock, so you would be spending money on a new shock. There is also the 5100 for the rear, but it's not RHA. The 885's are coil springs made by OME (Old Man Emu). There are also 884's and 886's. All have different spring rates. The OME 3" Lift kit comes with your choice of spring and also new shocks through toyteclifts.com.

So for my question that i asked in my earlier post. Are you looking to pair a set of 5100 RHA with some 885 springs, or are you looking at getting the OME 3" Lift kit with the 885 springs? Also are you just looking at getting 5100 RHA or just the 885's to replace the stock coils?

As far as the TSB many have taken their truck to dealers hoping to get the rear leaf TSB. Some have been able to get it while others have been turned down. It doesn't hurt to try to see if you qualify for it. Hopefully you are able to get that done.

Like said im running 5100's all around stock coils and stock UCA's. We have the same model and truck package, and seem like your looking at a similar set up. Since you have the OR package you have the locker in the rear, which will help you get through some stuff. Very good to have.

Sorry for the lengthy posts. Just trying to understand.
Sorry for not clarifying. In an attempt to keep costs low without going super cheap and buying spacers I thought I could just use OME coils with my stock Bilsteins or else obviously change out the struts for 5100's. However, after doing more research it appears that either way I may end up with only 1" of strut/shock travel. So now I'm looking back into a spacer lift to retain strut travel.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
"Let's Ride!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoluver View Post
Sorry for not clarifying. In an attempt to keep costs low without going super cheap and buying spacers I thought I could just use OME coils with my stock Bilsteins or else obviously change out the struts for 5100's. However, after doing more research it appears that either way I may end up with only 1" of strut/shock travel. So now I'm looking back into a spacer lift to retain strut travel.
885's on stock TRD shocks. Not to sure how those would mesh up together. 5100's would be your best bet, especially since you said it would be a daily driver.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the toytec lift off eshmay for like 150. all it is is the aal in the read and the 2.5" spacer and 1/4 spacer in front. that was cheap for me. I would like to go with the Ultimate lift kit, but it's just too much. im a broke bastard. my next mod is DTLT Headers and NST crank.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
I bought the toytec lift off eshmay for like 150. all it is is the aal in the read and the 2.5" spacer and 1/4 spacer in front. that was cheap for me. I would like to go with the Ultimate lift kit, but it's just too much. im a broke bastard. my next mod is DTLT Headers and NST crank.
I'm reconsidereing this spacer combo. How's the ride? Any Vibrations or Alignment issues?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have run the 5100's and the OME shocks/springs. The OME is much better ride, on and off raod.