1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie to the site!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crzyrdr52, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Dec 22, 2007 at 12:15 AM
    crzyrdr52

crzyrdr52 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner V6 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's set at 2.5", 2" AAL, Black Moto Metal 957 wrapped in 285/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T, Grillcraft, debadged, K&N drop in, yellow Lamin-X
    Hey guys, just wanted to say whats up. I just purchased a 2008 Tacoma Prerunner V6 TRD Sport Double Cab 2 weeks ago. I've been a GM guy all my life and to be honest I got tired of the quality and resale being so crappy.

I got rid of a 2004 GMC Sierra Ext cab show truck for my Tacoma and I was worried I was gonna regret it. Well I can say is I am so happy with my Taco. The gas was killin me in my GMC.

Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself and say that you guys all seem like a cool group! Im excited to be a part of this site!

2. Dec 22, 2007 at 12:27 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Welcome to TW!

3. Dec 22, 2007 at 5:35 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Welcome to the wild and wacky world of TacoMania! !! The world where Tacos Rule:D If you love your Taco you came to the right place! !!!

Log on often and stay long! !

Happy Holidays
    Don G

4. Dec 22, 2007 at 6:19 AM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    i hear ya about that resale!

i've wanted a toyota since i was 16, (1996) it was the T100 then i think. anyway, i was looking at tacoma's in 03 i think, thought i might buy one in the next few years. anyway, saw a new one for like 22k or 23k.... exact same truck with same options, 2 yrs old 20k miles... and they were asking like 2k less!!!!! i was thinkin, who is gonna buy this truck?!?!?! why not just buy new! my long story here is just afirming your resale comment :)

anyway, my mustang took a royal crap last dec and we checking on the price a new trany and my wife said "you have always wanted a toyota, let's go get you a new one" first new vehicle, and it's what i've wanted since i was able to drive. i'm a happy camper :D

sorry guys, got long winded this morning

5. Dec 22, 2007 at 6:19 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Good day to you sir, I think most of us came to the same realization that domestics aren't what they should be, Detroit should be ashamed, and ExxonMobil has turned into vampires. We are glad you are here, I think you will be happy about your purchase, and if you are a little like me you will be a tad angry it took you so long. Drive on :burnrubber:

6. Dec 22, 2007 at 6:44 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Welcome to TW...It was an '05 Avalanche for me.50k MSRP....30 months and only 45k kms later no one wanted it including the dealer.I'm four months in with my new Taco and haven't looked back.

7. Dec 22, 2007 at 8:04 AM
    AZBlackDC

AZBlackDC Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Sand Pearl DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    Welcome to TW! This site is fabulous and filled with some very knowledgeable and friendly people. My wife hates the site though because it gives me ideas on how to spend more MONEY! LOL

8. Dec 22, 2007 at 8:21 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw!! enjoy your stay here.

9. Dec 22, 2007 at 9:31 AM
    mrbjr

mrbjr Active Member

Member:
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust,TRD Sport seat covers, Tube steps,Access Limited Bed Cover,WeatherTech floor mats, Billet Grill,AFE CAI,8"Shorty Antenna,ScanGaugeII.,5100s f/set @ .85, Console Safe.., Pirelli ATR's..,RoadMaster active suspension
    First post, long time lurker... WELCOME CRZYRDR52... This forum will give you many great ideas ;)for a long and "prosperous" TACO ownership... Prosperous for all the aftermarket dealers:D...Let the modding begin...
    I have a '90 SR5 4x4 for down and dirty playing and just purchased a '08 DC 4x4 TRD Sport, ( Billet Grill, Tube steps, TRD Exhaust and Limited Access cover)so far. AFE CAI, Shorty Antenna on the way... Lift,new tires and wheels next...Once you own a TACO it never stops:eek:...

10. Dec 22, 2007 at 9:51 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Welcome!

My wife can attest to the resale value! We were looking for a second car a couple years ago. She wanted to buy used... I kept trying to explain to her that used cars in NY SUCK! Unless it was babied and garaged all winter. The road salt, snow, and ice all take their tolls. Eventually the damn thing rusts so bad the owner doesn't want to fix it, and it goes up for sale... :rolleyes: My last 2 cars were used and I told her I DID NOT WANT to deal with that again! End of discussion.

Well, she finally came around when she was at a dr's appointment with her mom and saw used truck prices (since she knew what I was going to get with or without her approval. :laugh:). They were only a couple K less than brand new, and who knows what you're really getting into buying used. So she finally agreed we might as well go new, full warranty, break it in the way WE wanted, and not have any issues caused by the previous owner.

The payments are a bitch, but the truck runs! No questions asked, no work needed, she just GOES! Now, we've watched her parents buy a jimmy/blazer thing for $800 that needed $2k in repair work, their car needs engine work, their truck was sold in exchange for a 00 Dodge Ram. The old truck was rusting out, starter was broken, 4wd needed work..... Neighbor managed to fix that just after he sold it for them (funny, couldn't do it during the last month when my FIL owned it.... :rolleyes: ), and now the Dodge has problems. Speedo doesn't work, 4wd doesn't work.... And that doesn't include a friend from work going through 4 used cars in a year because they kept dieing (all domestic, imagine that..... :D)

Meanwhile, my 98 Corolla with 180-190k on it is running fine. Burns a little oil, but engine runs fine, body is in good condition, and really only needs new suspension up from (still original OEM). And maybe to fix the oil burning thing.

11. Dec 22, 2007 at 10:33 AM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
  12. Dec 22, 2007 at 10:52 AM
    crzyrdr52

crzyrdr52 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner V6 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's set at 2.5", 2" AAL, Black Moto Metal 957 wrapped in 285/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T, Grillcraft, debadged, K&N drop in, yellow Lamin-X
    Yeah my GMC was lowered, 20"rims, shaved tailgate and roll pan, billet grill, etc. and the dealership only wanted to give me 11K for it. I figured I would take it since I got such a good deal on the Taco. Nobody wants to buy a domestic with 70K miles and only gets 10MPG. I was spending $450 a month in gas. Now my payment is $100 cheaper, saving $200 a month in gas and I absolutely love my Taco.

Question tho, alot of people make comments that they hold their value really well and its not much less than a new Taco. So wouldnt that make it hard to sell later, wouldnt most people just figure to buy new if its not much more. Or am I thinking into it too much!!

Either way I love my Taco and thank you guys for all the warm welcomes!

13. Dec 22, 2007 at 11:21 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I wondered the same thing.My dealer told me that if he had a lot full of used Taco's he'd be a very happy man.He explained that Taco owners either hold on to them or they sell them privately to people without advertising them.I started watching the classifieds and dealers around town and he seems to be right.There doesn't seem to be many hit the open market,and those that do seem not to last.I've also had two people tell me that they'd like to buy my truck....Yeah right,go get your own I told them.:D

14. Dec 22, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    i've also thought about it with the same line of logic, why buy used when it's almost the same price as new..... that is why i bought new.... oh well.... who cares, haha i got mine, let others go get theirs, new or used....

Products Discussed in

To Top