Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A-Pillar Removal

Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
094x4 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: F.D.
094x4's Tacoma Gallery
A-Pillar Removal

Has anyone removed their A-pillar from there '09 tacoma yet? I have a scangauge II coming in, and will be running the wire down the A pillar following Mavericks DIY, but I'm not sure if the airbag on the '09 is behind the A pillar, or if it would deploy it. Any feedback? Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I've not looked extensively, but I'm pretty sure the airbag is along the roof line, not down the A-pillar. Still, pays to be careful...do you have a factory service manual or know someone who does?

And you might get funny looks talking about removing the A-pillar...that would require a Sawzall. You're just removing the trim.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Diablo is on a distinguished road

Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
Yea there is an airbag down the A-pillar. i ran a few wires down there didnt notice any air bag connections or anything just the bag itself. Be gental with it i didnt have a problem. I did need a ratchet to get the bolts out though they were in there super tight.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
094x4 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: F.D.
094x4's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for that correction JKD...I did mean the A-pillar trim..Also, Jaws of life would be faster than a sawzal..
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap, there's an airbag in the A-pillar too?

I don't know whether I'm more afraid of getting into a wreck, or the ensuing explosions that will happen all around me! The two airbags in my Neon blowing up in my face were enough!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect the battery so you don't accidently set off the airbag.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Resident Canuck
HwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to all

HwyRogue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Disconnect the battery so you don't accidently set off the airbag.
..take it a step further, disconnect the battery and let it sit for ~15 mins for the systems to discharge in order to prevent possible mis-firing issues.. don't forget to stay out of the deployment range, just in case!