Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What MPG are you getting with larger tires?

Old 12-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
crzyrdr52 is on a distinguished road

Name: Herb
crzyrdr52's Tacoma Gallery
What MPG are you getting with larger tires?

I was thinking of getting the 3" Toytec lift and installing larger tires. What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting with larger tires. With a 3" lift what is the largest size you can run? Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
w/ a 3" lift, i think the max is 33's...i've got a 2.5" lift and i'm gonna run 32's
Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Original equipment on my rig was 245/75/16, I went to 265/70/16 and lost 3 miles to the gallon, only larger tells me more loss, go to a off road tire and even more so, how much more ?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 3" toytec lift and 33's.... went down to about 16mpg on the free way running about 75mph.... not sure what city mpg is.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
You guys may need to regear to regain some MPG and power back.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
You guys may need to regear to regain some MPG and power back.
Details ?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I have a 3" lift and 285/75 16 tires. You DON'T lose mpg! You need to compensate for the tire size difference when you calculate mpg off the odometer/trip odometer numbers. Or get a scangauge calibrated for the different sized tires.

For example, my 285's (32.8") throw the speedometer and odometers off by 7%. So when the trip says I've driven 300 miles, it's actually 321 miles.

With that said, I was getting 17-18 mpg stock. Odometer calculations with the 285's say 16-17mpg, but the scangauge (or altered calculations with odometer reading) still shows 17-18mpg.

Edit:
You may find this useful:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I have a 3" lift and 285/75 16 tires. You DON'T lose mpg! You need to compensate for the tire size difference when you calculate mpg off the odometer/trip odometer numbers. Or get a scangauge calibrated for the different sized tires.

For example, my 285's (32.8") throw the speedometer and odometers off by 7%. So when the trip says I've driven 300 miles, it's actually 321 miles.

With that said, I was getting 17-18 mpg stock. Odometer calculations with the 285's say 16-17mpg, but the scangauge (or altered calculations with odometer reading) still shows 17-18mpg.

Edit:
You may find this useful:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Yeah... did that, still lost 3 mpg according to the math, dividing gallons of fuel into miles driven.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #9

i did that too, i divided miles drove by gallons used, and it equaled exxon being blood sucking money hungry leaches... is that what ur calculator said? or is mine busted??

all jokes aside, i forget what mpg i had to begin with.... i thought it was low 20s, but thinkin back on it, i don't think it was, 18 sounds familiar... but im not sure....

i know my wife has a kia scerento, and i was dissapointed when i checked both of our mpg. i really though both would have been better. we love both, but mpg kinda sucks. (hers is about 18 or 20 i think)
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Jackson View Post
i did that too, i divided miles drove by gallons used, and it equaled exxon being blood sucking money hungry leaches... is that what ur calculator said? or is mine busted??

all jokes aside, i forget what mpg i had to begin with.... i thought it was low 20s, but thinkin back on it, i don't think it was, 18 sounds familiar... but im not sure....

i know my wife has a kia scerento, and i was dissapointed when i checked both of our mpg. i really though both would have been better. we love both, but mpg kinda sucks. (hers is about 18 or 20 i think)
Considering where you reside, your house is probably bugged, I would look out the window for ninjas or a red laser dot around your heart. I agree with you about Exxonmobile !
Old 12-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #11
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well, theoretically they should be the same! Larger tire means it has to rotate less than a smaller tire for the same distance traveled. As such the transmission will spin at a lower RPM to maintain the same speed so the speedometer will show a lower speed, and the odometer will record less miles.

Only things I can think of is heavier tires, heavier wheels, or the tread pattern. I still have the stock wheels so the weight is the same. Not sure of the weight difference between stock and Kumhos I have now so the only difference would be the diameter and width. They aren't mudding tires so they don't have massive lugs to cause more drag or friction. They are wider so that might increase rolling friction, but that also means the distribute the truck's weight more and have apply less pressure to the road so.....

I just know I get the same MPG with both tires. And with all things being equal you should too.... That's where the weights and more aggressive tread patterns can come into play.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #12

I think it's probably a little of what you said, I went from Dunlop baloney skins to BFG's baloney skins, DOH ! Also I did this right around the weather change, nice/warm to cold and damp, with that came winter fuel. I doubled my fuel milage from my last truck so it's all good for me, if I had a 2.7 liter I would probably break into song... and none of you want that !
Old 12-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
Devout Atheist

Yeah, the winter mix may have more to do with it than anything. Seems like I read somewhere that you can plan on a 3mpg loss with winter mix. Keep an eye on it come spring/summer time.

Also, if you idle the engine at ALL to warm up that's gonna cut into it. Plus the engine doesn't run at peak efficiency until it's warmed up and that's gonna take longer this time of year. Damn NY weather! Almost wish I'd stayed in SC. Certainly don't get any of the, uhhhh, "casual" female clothing up this way!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #14

You said a mouth full ! I love a tight sweater but it aint no g-string !
Old 12-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #15

jedi your crazy! tight sweaters suck! they scratch my neck and are just over all uncomfortable.... and g-strigs make me feel like a sinner.... i say 10 hail marry's every time i wear one.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #16

L_Jackson, my wife thinks there is something really wrong with me, Im out here laughing my donkey off, for what appears to be for no reason, you are too funny.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #17
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Jackson View Post
jedi your crazy! tight sweaters suck! they scratch my neck and are just over all uncomfortable.... and g-strigs make me feel like a sinner.... i say 10 hail marry's every time i wear one.

I did not need that mental image before bed...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #18

Quote:
I did not need that mental image before bed...
What's your weather like ? I just got about three inches of snow in an hour then it stopped.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
What's your weather like ? I just got about three inches of snow in an hour then it stopped.
Been in the 50's and raining all day. Had some flood warnings most of the day too. heh Good day to stay inside and bond with the couch.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Been in the 50's and raining all day. Had some flood warnings most of the day too. heh Good day to stay inside and bond with the couch.
No doubt