1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What oil is the best? (want a PERSONAL response please)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jbobstar, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Dec 24, 2007 at 7:19 AM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I'd go with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

2. Dec 24, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    jdman_42261

jdman_42261 Member

Member:
    I asked the dealership where I live and they said that they use Mobile 1, 5W-30 on the tacomas. I also use the OEM toyota filters (bought a whole case on ebay for like 4 dollars each) and change the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 24, 2007 at 7:42 AM
    hans17

hans17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    san juan puerto rico
    Vehicle:
    tacoma xtra cab v6 sport 2007
    3"ez-lift kit , 1" spacer , stock wheels 17" , 285/70-17
    :cool: a dealer will not buy amsoil oil due to these facts , looking at it as a company
    1) the idea of buying a base petroluem oil is that it is cheeper .
    2) the idea is that u bring me the truck for your oil changes more often.
    3) put cheep oil in it so you come in more frequently ( more money for for me as a company
    4) the idea is to put cheep oil in your vehicle so it will bring me back more money with break down and replacement of internal parts .
    5 and the most inportanta one are you sure that they are using synthetic oil , remember they don't buy oil by quarts , they buy it by 55 gallon or more , and do you realy think that they are going to buy all the different oil weight for all vehicles ...
    i dont whant to sound nasty but, i personally saw it and work in a place like this .....

4. Dec 26, 2007 at 1:40 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    It may be. There are some Harley dealers. You could forget about differerntial and transfer case change in my lifetime.
    Even Mobile 1 should extend an engine oil change.

5. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:51 AM
    TacoSupreme

TacoSupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    007 DC Cuatro Por Cuatro
    Anybody using filter magnets on their trucks?

6. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:57 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    where do you put them ?

7. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:06 AM
    TacoSupreme

TacoSupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    007 DC Cuatro Por Cuatro
    Check it out. filtermag.com

8. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:09 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    We will do that.

9. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:17 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I plan on using mobil1, that's what I use in all my vehicles. Except for my harley, I used to put amsoil in it, but I sold the bike. I am not convinced that amsoil is better then mobil1, if it is, it's only marginally better. All the data that I see on Amsoil is from their website, I have yet to see any unbiased info out there comparing amsoil to mobil1. I think alot of the elite performance cars come with mobil1 from the factory.
    Mobile1 is cheaper I can buy 5 qts at wal mart for $20, 5 qts of amsoil is more then that and also more inconvenient to get.

Mobil1 has an impeccible reputation in the performance car industry, so that's what I'll stick with.

BTW I put amsoil in my harley because it was cheaper then mobile1 Vtwin and cheaper then harley brand synthetic. Since then, amsoil has upped the price on the v twin motor oil.

10. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:19 AM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i use the mobil 5000 with mobile oil filter i find it comes out of my engine pretty clean and i use 5w30 like the book says my mechanic uses mobil thats how i got started on that brand

11. Dec 30, 2007 at 10:31 AM
    PNWIW

PNWIW Member

Member:
    western, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road
    1" lift in rear, All pro coil overs in front.
    There is a lot of talk about motor oils, what about oil filters. I prefer Napa.

12. Dec 30, 2007 at 10:38 AM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    Mobil 1 in every car, I will not have it any other way!

13. Dec 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Well, I'll just come right out and call them liars. Dealerships buy whatever oil they can get cheapest and that wouldn't be Mobil1. Next time you're there, ask them to prove it and I'll bet you see drums of Havoline or something along those lines.

BTW, I use Pennzoil Platinum. It's typically cheaper than M1, which I used to use, and is a Group III oil just like M1 so I don't see any advantage either way other than price.

14. Dec 30, 2007 at 4:04 PM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don`t know where you live, but a dealer lying to me is very unlikely.
    If caught, he would have to move, at best.

15. Dec 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Now, you know as well as I do that some lackey probably told the guy that they used M1. Dealership service departments lie all the time like, "Yes, we have loaners for warranty work." and when you go in for said warranty service you find out that, "We only do loaners under special circumstances as approved by the GM.". Yes, that happened to me at Coastal Nissan. It became a "special circumstance" when I had to bring my Altima in for warranty work 4 times in 6 months.

In my experience, I find it just as unlikely that a dealer would use a synthetic, except for the luxury brands like BMW (they do use synthetic). I bet if we did a poll there would be plenty, if not a majority, of folks who have been lied to. Another good one was, "Oh, btw, we need to replace your brake rotors." on my Altima. "Oh, so the brand new rotors I put on 2 weeks went bad that quick, huh?" Mmhmm...

16. Dec 30, 2007 at 4:55 PM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Steve Low serves on the police and fire board. Along with my broker and a few other friends that can`t afford a disagreement.
    I would bet that his reputation is worth more than your commission.
    If I say M1; I will get M1. I don`t even have to check. I will, of course. I do, of course, wear a pistol. Along with half the County.
    I just said I needed some wheels for lunch during service and he tossed me some keys.
    They fit an odd little new car. But it got me to lunch and back.

17. Dec 30, 2007 at 5:01 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    how bout this.....a service writer at the dealership here where i live (harrelson toyota.....just so ya know)....when i was having a problem with their alignments and my steering wheel being crooked, came out and told me that the interstate here was sloped inwards and the truck will always pull left on it:crazy:(so when it rains a ton,all the water is meant to gather in the middle of the interstate.........yeah, ok:rolleyes:)..................then the tech working on my truck put 38 psi in my right front, and 28 psi in my left front tires(i guess he thought i wouldnt check), and im guessing he was trying to offset the steering cause he apparently didnt know how to adjust the toe:rolleyes:.

so yeah.............stealerships do have a tendency to lie about stuff. and they really hate it when someone who knows about vehicles proves them wrong about stuff...................................its actually pretty funny!!

18. Dec 30, 2007 at 5:31 PM
    wes

wes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    if it helps--i first made sure my engine was broke-in with "regular"oil.then i switched to mobil 1 5/30 fully synthetic.this may not be the best oil out there but i had a 1989 chevy truck and i sold it w/189000 miles on original engine w/no problems ever--amazing for a chevy.
    i change my oil every 5000 miles.i don't care what anyone tells you about their manufacturer recmmd intervals.you have to change oil to remove the acids caused by internal combustion engines.the acids eat up seals,gaskets and etc. the "blow-by" around the piston rings is partial reason for oil contamination.
    hope this helped.

19. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:45 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    LOL, OK. In your case, fine. BUT, how many people personally know the owner of the dealership? There's a reason so many of us refer to them as "stealerships" and it's not because we think they're so incredibly honest.

20. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:11 PM
    wes

wes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    wilson,
    maybe i wrote a confusing post.if i did it wasn't my intention.i NEVER go to the dealer for anything unless i absolutely have to.if you re-read it again i think you'll see my reference to manufacturer's suggested intervals as an aspect of oil changes that i disreguard because my own oil change intervals are more frequent. Wes

Products Discussed in

To Top