Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What oil is the best? (want a PERSONAL response please)

Old 12-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #21
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #22
jdman_42261 is on a distinguished road
jdman_42261's Tacoma Gallery
I asked the dealership where I live and they said that they use Mobile 1, 5W-30 on the tacomas. I also use the OEM toyota filters (bought a whole case on ebay for like 4 dollars each) and change the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 AM   #23
hans17 is on a distinguished road

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
remenber this....

a dealer will not buy amsoil oil due to these facts , looking at it as a company
1) the idea of buying a base petroluem oil is that it is cheeper .
2) the idea is that u bring me the truck for your oil changes more often.
3) put cheep oil in it so you come in more frequently ( more money for for me as a company
4) the idea is to put cheep oil in your vehicle so it will bring me back more money with break down and replacement of internal parts .
5 and the most inportanta one are you sure that they are using synthetic oil , remember they don't buy oil by quarts , they buy it by 55 gallon or more , and do you realy think that they are going to buy all the different oil weight for all vehicles ...
i dont whant to sound nasty but, i personally saw it and work in a place like this .....
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #24
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans17 View Post
is it posible for you guys to find a distributer of amsoil in you area ?
It may be. There are some Harley dealers. You could forget about differerntial and transfer case change in my lifetime.
Even Mobile 1 should extend an engine oil change.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #25
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody using filter magnets on their trucks?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:57 AM   #26
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreme View Post
Anybody using filter magnets on their trucks?
where do you put them ?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #27
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Check it out. filtermag.com
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #28
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
We will do that.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #29
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on using mobil1, that's what I use in all my vehicles. Except for my harley, I used to put amsoil in it, but I sold the bike. I am not convinced that amsoil is better then mobil1, if it is, it's only marginally better. All the data that I see on Amsoil is from their website, I have yet to see any unbiased info out there comparing amsoil to mobil1. I think alot of the elite performance cars come with mobil1 from the factory.
Mobile1 is cheaper I can buy 5 qts at wal mart for $20, 5 qts of amsoil is more then that and also more inconvenient to get.

Mobil1 has an impeccible reputation in the performance car industry, so that's what I'll stick with.

BTW I put amsoil in my harley because it was cheaper then mobile1 Vtwin and cheaper then harley brand synthetic. Since then, amsoil has upped the price on the v twin motor oil.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #30
evolution6972 is on a distinguished road

evolution6972's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to evolution6972
oil

i use the mobil 5000 with mobile oil filter i find it comes out of my engine pretty clean and i use 5w30 like the book says my mechanic uses mobil thats how i got started on that brand
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #31
PNWIW is on a distinguished road
PNWIW's Tacoma Gallery
There is a lot of talk about motor oils, what about oil filters. I prefer Napa.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #32
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 in every car, I will not have it any other way!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #33
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdman_42261 View Post
I asked the dealership where I live and they said that they use Mobile 1, 5W-30 on the tacomas.
Well, I'll just come right out and call them liars. Dealerships buy whatever oil they can get cheapest and that wouldn't be Mobil1. Next time you're there, ask them to prove it and I'll bet you see drums of Havoline or something along those lines.

BTW, I use Pennzoil Platinum. It's typically cheaper than M1, which I used to use, and is a Group III oil just like M1 so I don't see any advantage either way other than price.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #34
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I don`t know where you live, but a dealer lying to me is very unlikely.
If caught, he would have to move, at best.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #35
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
I don`t where you live, but a dealer lying to me is very unlikely.
If caught, he would have to move, at best.
Now, you know as well as I do that some lackey probably told the guy that they used M1. Dealership service departments lie all the time like, "Yes, we have loaners for warranty work." and when you go in for said warranty service you find out that, "We only do loaners under special circumstances as approved by the GM.". Yes, that happened to me at Coastal Nissan. It became a "special circumstance" when I had to bring my Altima in for warranty work 4 times in 6 months.

In my experience, I find it just as unlikely that a dealer would use a synthetic, except for the luxury brands like BMW (they do use synthetic). I bet if we did a poll there would be plenty, if not a majority, of folks who have been lied to. Another good one was, "Oh, btw, we need to replace your brake rotors." on my Altima. "Oh, so the brand new rotors I put on 2 weeks went bad that quick, huh?" Mmhmm...
Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #36
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Steve Low serves on the police and fire board. Along with my broker and a few other friends that can`t afford a disagreement.
I would bet that his reputation is worth more than your commission.
If I say M1; I will get M1. I don`t even have to check. I will, of course. I do, of course, wear a pistol. Along with half the County.
I just said I needed some wheels for lunch during service and he tossed me some keys.
They fit an odd little new car. But it got me to lunch and back.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #37
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Now, you know as well as I do that some lackey probably told the guy that they used M1. Dealership service departments lie all the time like, "Yes, we have loaners for warranty work." and when you go in for said warranty service you find out that, "We only do loaners under special circumstances as approved by the GM.". Yes, that happened to me at Coastal Nissan. It became a "special circumstance" when I had to bring my Altima in for warranty work 4 times in 6 months.

In my experience, I find it just as unlikely that a dealer would use a synthetic, except for the luxury brands like BMW (they do use synthetic). I bet if we did a poll there would be plenty, if not a majority, of folks who have been lied to. Another good one was, "Oh, btw, we need to replace your brake rotors." on my Altima. "Oh, so the brand new rotors I put on 2 weeks went bad that quick, huh?" Mmhmm...
how bout this.....a service writer at the dealership here where i live (harrelson toyota.....just so ya know)....when i was having a problem with their alignments and my steering wheel being crooked, came out and told me that the interstate here was sloped inwards and the truck will always pull left on it(so when it rains a ton,all the water is meant to gather in the middle of the interstate.........yeah, ok)..................then the tech working on my truck put 38 psi in my right front, and 28 psi in my left front tires(i guess he thought i wouldnt check), and im guessing he was trying to offset the steering cause he apparently didnt know how to adjust the toe.

so yeah.............stealerships do have a tendency to lie about stuff. and they really hate it when someone who knows about vehicles proves them wrong about stuff...................................its actually pretty funny!!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #38
wes is on a distinguished road

wes's Tacoma Gallery
if it helps--i first made sure my engine was broke-in with "regular"oil.then i switched to mobil 1 5/30 fully synthetic.this may not be the best oil out there but i had a 1989 chevy truck and i sold it w/189000 miles on original engine w/no problems ever--amazing for a chevy.
i change my oil every 5000 miles.i don't care what anyone tells you about their manufacturer recmmd intervals.you have to change oil to remove the acids caused by internal combustion engines.the acids eat up seals,gaskets and etc. the "blow-by" around the piston rings is partial reason for oil contamination.
hope this helped.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #39
Kylie's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
Steve Low serves on the police and fire board. Along with my broker and a few other friends that can`t afford a disagreement.
I would bet that his reputation is worth more than your commission.
If I say M1; I will get M1. I don`t even have to check. I will, of course.
LOL, OK. In your case, fine. BUT, how many people personally know the owner of the dealership? There's a reason so many of us refer to them as "stealerships" and it's not because we think they're so incredibly honest.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #40
wes is on a distinguished road

wes's Tacoma Gallery
dealership patronage

wilson,
maybe i wrote a confusing post.if i did it wasn't my intention.i NEVER go to the dealer for anything unless i absolutely have to.if you re-read it again i think you'll see my reference to manufacturer's suggested intervals as an aspect of oil changes that i disreguard because my own oil change intervals are more frequent. Wes