Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What oil is the best? (want a PERSONAL response please)

Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #41
wes is on a distinguished road

wes's Tacoma Gallery
wilson-sorry ,i missed the reguard of your post-pls disreguard mine-newbie mistake i guess.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #43
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
i run castrol GTX or gtx highmileage (depending on how many miles on veh) in everything except my bikes and my chevelle..i run royal purple in them... heard of people picking up 12hp just by switching to royal purple in engine trans and rear
Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 AM   #44
hans17 is on a distinguished road

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
I plan on using mobil1, that's what I use in all my vehicles. Except for my harley, I used to put amsoil in it, but I sold the bike. I am not convinced that amsoil is better then mobil1, if it is, it's only marginally better. All the data that I see on Amsoil is from their website, I have yet to see any unbiased info out there comparing amsoil to mobil1. I think alot of the elite performance cars come with mobil1 from the factory.
Mobile1 is cheaper I can buy 5 qts at wal mart for $20, 5 qts of amsoil is more then that and also more inconvenient to get.

Mobil1 has an impeccible reputation in the performance car industry, so that's what I'll stick with.

BTW I put amsoil in my harley because it was cheaper then mobile1 Vtwin and cheaper then harley brand synthetic. Since then, amsoil has upped the price on the v twin motor oil.
all i can see is that u look for price not for brand , u said that amsoil is not better than m1 and i respect that but u use it for your bike , it seems to me that ur in a tight buget and that is ok, but read the back part of m1 fully synthetic and look at the restrictions and it will tell you something you will not find in amsoil witch is ( restrictions) . for example not recomended for to much idle time , not recomended for high rpms , and so on . but i respect your desicion .i just whnt to share my experience for you guys.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 AM   #45
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans17 View Post
all i can see is that u look for price not for brand , u said that amsoil is not better than m1 and i respect that but u use it for your bike , it seems to me that ur in a tight buget and that is ok, but read the back part of m1 fully synthetic and look at the restrictions and it will tell you something you will not find in amsoil witch is ( restrictions) . for example not recomended for to much idle time , not recomended for high rpms , and so on . but i respect your desicion .i just whnt to share my experience for you guys.
Hey that's cool, buddy. I know you're an amsoil guy, I like the oil. It's just more difficult to get, and usually costs more then mobil1. I have yet to see an independent study that compares mobil1 and amsoil. All the data I have seen is sponsored by amsoil. When in doubt I'll stick with the oil that performance cars use, mobil1. And it just so happens it's cheaper and easier to get then amsoil. But hey, your probably an amsoil dealer or know an amsoil dealer, so it's easy for you to get, not so easy for me. Only amsoil dealer I know is on the other side of town.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #46

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
Well your not such a klown after all , just a joke , you are wright not much dealers around these days . But it is cheeeeeeper good luck body...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:25 AM   #47
mrbjr is on a distinguished road
mrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking at the back of a Mobil 1 5w30 container right now and do not see any restrictions. It only says to wash with soap and water if some should get on you
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #48

hans17's Tacoma Gallery
I will try to go to pepboys and get a picture of it and post it. is it the one that says fully synthetic or is it the 5000 or 7500 ????
Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #49
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will try to go to pepboys and get a picture of it and post it. is it the one that says fully synthetic or is it the 5000 or 7500 ????
Yeah, I'll check it out when I get home also. I've got the full synthetic mobil1 5w-30 at home. I'll check for the disclaimers.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #50
mrbjr is on a distinguished road
mrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
The one I have is for "fully synthetic".... Nothing on the cardboard carton or the qt. container with any disclaimer other than it might cause Cancer..
Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #51
Tacoma World Ring Leader

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I don't see anything on the mobil1 website either. Must be a hoax.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #52
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Double Amazed

Quote/[ i had a 1989 chevy truck and i sold it w/189000 miles on original engine w/no problems ever--amazing for a chevy].

I agree with everything but the part about 189k no prob. amazing for a chevy. I have a `93 K1500 SB 4x4 bought new and havn`t had any problems(ok minor ones-headlight switch,pwr window switch,cruise cntrl.switch).Like you, I also first put 3k miles on the Tacoma before switching to Mobil1.The Chevy has always had regular Castrol 5w-30, strange to me but not a major issue is that it has used a little oil since new about 1/2 quart the first 1500 miles.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #53
deer_pop is on a distinguished road

deer_pop's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I use Mobil 1 synthetic in all my vehicles and I never deviate. It costs a few extra bucks. Pick a good oil and stick with it is what I have always done.

Good luck oil hunting.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #54
jasonw is on a distinguished road
jasonw's Tacoma Gallery
I used valvoline 5w30 on my 2000 taco. The truck now has 185,000 hard miles on it, and the oil still has a nice amber color when changed at 3500 miles. The engine still seems to be as tight as the day I bought the truck new. I am going to run mobile1 in my new 2008 tacoma.

At any rate, I am very happy with the results from running valvoline conventional oil and toyota filters. As long as you use a name brand oil that meets the "SL" designation (or whatever the specify now), change the oil every four thousand miles or so, and consistently use the same brand of oil a, toyota engine should outlast the rest of the vehicle.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #55
beondwacko has a spectacular aura aboutbeondwacko has a spectacular aura about

beondwacko's Tacoma Gallery
In my 4 wheel'd vehicles, I've been using Mobile 1 for about 7 years now. When I was still living up north ( Long Island ) and winter came around, I found that with the synthetic there was either no or very little "lag" for the oil pressure to come up shortly after starting. This held true in both my old Prelude and my 4.3L S-10. I also noticed that there was a slight mileage improvement over mineral oil in the S-10 (.5-.75 mpg gain).

I'm convinced that the synthetic oils hold up better in terms of vescosity in high heat conditions since I've been in S.Florida now for almost 3 years. I'll be going the Mobile-1 route when my XR hits 3K miles. Actually, as a matter of fact, I'll be tuning 600 miles today since I bought the truck. When it hit's 1,000, I'll give it it's first change with mineral oil.

My bike is another story though. I had been using Repsol full synthetic and changing the oil about every 3K miles. When I was due for my last oil change, I couldn't get my Repsol so I tried the Redline synthetic in the same vescosity. There is a difference. The bike seems to run a little warmer now since the last oil change. Almost as if the Redline oil doesn't have the same thermal conductivity as the repsol. I drag race this bike 1 or 2 times a month and that being said,,,, there was no change in performance or clutch feel, just increased engine temp'.

Hint to those who want a good deal on Mobile-1 ,,,,,, go to Wallyworld(wallmart).
Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #56
jorgejanus is on a distinguished road
Army: Supply Sergeant  HQ 82nd DSTB
jorgejanus's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jorgejanus Send a message via Yahoo to jorgejanus
When I was at the dealer, I asked them about doing a synthetic oil change and they told me that toyota uses a blend between regular and sythetic oil. They said if you use straight synthetic, it will hurt your engine in the long run. Is there any truth to that?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #57
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
The service writer at my dealer recommened I not use it(synth.) because when it gets lots of miles and the seals are worn it might leak more.140k now and no leaks w/Mobil1 5w30.In response to original thread question,a person could probably use,"WOLFS HEAD",brand and have good results as long as they changed it regular.Something I have been curious about though w/ my Taco and the use of synthetics..now that it has 140k and some wear on the engine/valvetrain,Could a little amount being consumed have toasted my catalytic converters?Whereas a conventional oil would burn better???
Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #58
GratefulPred is on a distinguished road

GratefulPred's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to be driving my 08 Taco for work (50k + miles/yr) and plan on putting in synthetic after the first 1000 miles. How often should I change it? I was planning on 12k. I'll use Mobil 1. I ran it in a company truck (03 Silverado) and it had 186k on it when I turned it in, no major issues.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #59
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Have to agree with synthetic, great stuff in the cold and heat, can't beat it. I use Mobil 1, Amsoil is good stuff, but its more expensive in the New England area and lots of places don't carry it. Wally World carrys Mobil 1 at $20 per jug,(5qts). I believe Amsoil is $6.10 per qt. Either way what ever syn you use is OK.
If you go with dino oil Castrol is very good and been around for ever.

You just cannot beat syn oil, over all.
Jeff 06,V6, 6spd,4x4 , SR5 Radiant Red
Old 01-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #60
Tacoma World Ring Leader

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...but read the back part of m1 fully synthetic and look at the restrictions and it will tell you something you will not find in amsoil witch is ( restrictions) . for example not recomended for to much idle time , not recomended for high rpms , and so on ....
Just as I suspected, you're full of shit. I've checked the back of the 5W30 and 0W40 that I have at the house of the full synthetic mobil1. It has no disclaimers on the back except the statement about it causing cancer. Why are you making this shit up dude? You've got a credibility issue man.