Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Exhaust Installation Instructions

Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery

I looked the site over and really didn’t see anything on how to install the TRD exhaust so I decided to make a little installation instruction. Not everyone is a gearhead like many of us so I thought it would be a good idea to give those less wrench worthy a little confidence on the installation. I did read several posts that suggested that this was “easy”, “no problem”, etc. but nothing to give those a real heads up. There are no pictures because this really is easy to do.

Don’t get the tools yet…that’ll come in a minute, but you’ll need a 14mm socket, a ½” wrench, and an old milk crate (or something similar). No ramps or lift required if it’s a 4x4.

1.Get some WD-40 and spray the rubber hangers where the exhaust is inserted into them. I chose to spray them where I would leave the rubber hangers attached to the truck instead of removing them with the pipe. Now, go get the tools as this will give the WD-40 time to make the rubber slippery enough to slide the pipe out. Get the 14mm socket and the ½” wrench. You’ll need a ½” wrench to get enough oomph to get the spring bolts loose.
2.Wrap the end of the pipe behind the mudflap with a rag and use a rubber band or tape to secure it. This will keep the quarter panel from getting scratched as you twist the pipe during removal.
3.Loosen the 14mm spring bolts located next to the Y-pipe. Mine were on there with Loctite, so I had to use a little muscle to get them loose. Remove them completely.
4.I used an old plastic milk crate to support the end next to the Y-pipe as I started to slide the pipe out of each rubber hanger. This will take some pressure off the rearmost hanger when you get that far. Start at the front and work your way back. The milk crate (or other support you may use) will pay dividends during this and the next step.
5.Once all have been removed, you’ll need to twist the exhaust in order to get it over the rear axel. You’ll want to take the whole thing toward the front of the truck. Once removed, lay it to the side.
6.Now, wrap the chrome tip of the TRD exhaust to, again, prevent unwanted scratching.
7.Reverse procedure #5 above, twisting and turning until the catback is past the rear axel. Place the front back on the milk crate for support and start placing the exhaust back in the rubber hangers. Start and the rear and work your way forward.
8.Tighten the spring bolts. No torque wrench required…just as tight as you can as it’ll stop once the shank has been reached.
9.Polish the tip and go for a ride.
10.Crack open a beer and marvel at the sight. Done!!

This truly is an easy project and there is NO NEED for the stealership to charge you a 100 bones for this. Total time from start to finish: 30 minutes.

Hope this helps a few of you out there.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Thanks for the write up. I plan on putting on the TRD exhaust after I get my front windows tinted and get an XM receiver put in.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
So is there a pretty nice sound difference with the TRD exhaust? or do you have to go the Borla / Flowmaster route to find that.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
URBIKESUCKS is on a distinguished road

Army: US ARMY RECRUITER GATEWAY MALL
Name: Ron
URBIKESUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
trd sounds ok

not loud as shit like flows but sounds good, of course i'm over 40 and into the loud shit on my trk, now the harley is a bit different.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurozw View Post
So is there a pretty nice sound difference with the TRD exhaust? or do you have to go the Borla / Flowmaster route to find that.
That's really a subjective thing. To each their own. I love the sound and it was exactly what I was looking for. Do a search on YouTube...tons of clips. That's why I didn't post one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBIKESUCKS
...now the harley is a bit different.
It doesn't sound anywhere close to a Harely...or I wouldn't have it. LOL
Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
tcbe6472 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tommy
tcbe6472's Tacoma Gallery
Just completed the installation and took it for a test drive and I love it, nice throaty sound @ take-off and gets quiet @ cruise. I don't know if its me or the truck but it does seem to be running better?? Time will tell..
Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
so you remove the old exhaust by pulling it out towards the FRONT of the truck? would it not be easier to lower the rear spare tire and go in and out that way?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
what do you want, a pic of the two nuts you unbolt, or a pic of the three hangers you remove/install the the exhaust from?!! not much to it...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammikm View Post
so you remove the old exhaust by pulling it out towards the FRONT of the truck? would it not be easier to lower the rear spare tire and go in and out that way?
You can pull it out the rear, but you would have to cut the muffler off. By pulling it out the front, all you have to clear is the rear section.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to get the best sound out of a TRD Cat Back get a CAI, really makes it sound allot stronger with the CAI too.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can pull it out the rear, but you would have to cut the muffler off. By pulling it out the front, all you have to clear is the rear section.
x2.i put a jack on my receiver hitch,and raised it up a bit.loosened the bolts on the front of the pipe,pushed off all the hangers, and slide it out the front with no problems
Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread revival
proof that search works!
Congrats on the new exhaust
Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Taco Tuco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Airborne nav tech
Name: gary
Taco Tuco's Tacoma Gallery

se7en, awesome instructions. I had heard about using WD 40, but really liked the milk crate idea and knowing in advance the wrench sizes. It took me about 45 minutes, that was probably due to being 65 and moving slower. I decided to admire my work with a cup of coffee and listening to the gentle rumble of the exhaust, because it is a little early here for a beer. Thanks again, take care drive safe, Tuco
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine and had it installed last week. Overall, it isn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be, but it does have a nice deep sound. I kinda wish it was bit louder but at least it doesn't sound ricey like how some other catbacks do.

Pics if anyone is interested...

Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
Bens MBL TACO will become famous soon enoughBens MBL TACO will become famous soon enough

Bens MBL TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I forgot how nice that oval exhaust looks brand new, ahh takes me back.

[/QUOTE]
Damn I forgot how nice that oval exhaust looks brand new, ahh takes me back.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
Taco Tuco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Airborne nav tech
Name: gary
Taco Tuco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
How do you like it. Any loss of power in low end our high end? Sounds good?
I haven't taken it out yet. Installed a CAI as well, hope to take a short trip tomorrow. Love the sound though, I am hoping for improved performance towing my Lance TT 1685. Will checking fuel consumption this weekend. I will reply back when I know more.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
How do you like it. Any loss of power in low end our high end? Sounds good?
Low end is the same as stock, with gains beginning at about 2200 rpm, and gaining up to a peak of 5 hp gain near 5200 rpm.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #20
Turbokanji is on a distinguished road
Turbokanji's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good