Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My USB port write-up

Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
huntingr is on a distinguished road
huntingr's Tacoma Gallery
CAUTION - Many of the USB Cig Lighter Adapters do not provide enough current to charge your iPod/iPhone unit(s). The one I have puts out 400mA (.4A) and it will not charge my iPod Nano. The iPod/iPhone needs at least 1Amp to charge. When you purchase an adapter for this mod, make SURE it is rated for at least 1Amp for the +5VDC output.

Reference: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=93001
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Good find Viet! That is really clean looking.

huntingr, there is no easily accessible 5vdc source that I know of. The only place that I know of where you would find a 5vdc or something similar is at your ECU. Sorry about the trouble you ran into regarding the amount of current needed to charge an ipod/iphone. I'll update the post to clarify that.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
No problem eeTaco. Fortunately, I tried the USB adapter on my iPod prior to installing it (no damage done). The interesting thing is that the 400mA adapter actually drained power from my iPod instead of charging it! Maybe I can use my iPod to jump-start my Taco ( LOL - Just Kidding )!!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #24
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingr View Post
CAUTION - Many of the USB Cig Lighter Adapters do not provide enough current to charge your iPod/iPhone unit(s). The one I have puts out 400mA (.4A) and it will not charge my iPod Nano. The iPod/iPhone needs at least 1Amp to charge. When you purchase an adapter for this mod, make SURE it is rated for at least 1Amp for the +5VDC output.

Reference: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=93001
The one from Belkin linked to above states that it is for the iPhone. A search on it turned up that it is a 1 amp charger. From the site:

Compatible with Apple iPhone
Micro USB interface for simple connectivity. Also compatible with iPod or any device that uses a USB cable for charging.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
Awesome Evil, thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
Inundated is on a distinguished road
Inundated's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Way too much work man. You hacked the hell out of that dummy button.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218064404513

Mine is similar but even smaller and does not stick out.

If I were to actually add a USB port, it would be directly into my HU. But, I've been too lazy and no tools here =[
Yup, I bought a couple of these a while back. In my BMW it fits perfect in the ashtray and hides away when I close it. I also picked up a couple of retractable iPhone charge cables, I like things nice and neat
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #27
NuovoTech is on a distinguished road

NuovoTech's Tacoma Gallery
EEtaco - How did you remove the black plastic blank(that you modified) from the dash?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #28
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Yup, I bought a couple of these a while back. In my BMW it fits perfect in the ashtray and hides away when I close it. I also picked up a couple of retractable iPhone charge cables, I like things nice and neat
All the descriptors say "micro usb" but they all show standard USB socket. Since you have it, which is it?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #29
ramjm_2000 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Biomedical
ramjm_2000's Tacoma Gallery
Nice mod...now on my to do list.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #30
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuovoTech View Post
EEtaco - How did you remove the black plastic blank(that you modified) from the dash?
Once I removed the A/C controls I just stuck my hand behind the blank and pushed it out with a bit of force.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #31
NuovoTech is on a distinguished road

NuovoTech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Once I removed the A/C controls I just stuck my hand behind the blank and pushed it out with a bit of force.
Thanx for the tip! That does seem a bit easier than dismantling the whole dash!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #32
Inundated is on a distinguished road
Inundated's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
All the descriptors say "micro usb" but they all show standard USB socket. Since you have it, which is it?
Terrible naming by Belkin. It's a standard USB port, Belkin is simply describing their device as "micro".
Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Terrible naming by Belkin. It's a standard USB port, Belkin is simply describing their device as "micro".
Oh jeez. lol, thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #34
NorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to behold
Army: Tanker 3/7Inf, 3ID---25A 1-82 CAV, Bend OR
NorthXNorthwest's Tacoma Gallery
Cool MOD, nice write up.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #35
Ocean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really nice

Ocean's's Tacoma Gallery
im looking for something similar to this but I need one just for my Kenwood ddx512 USB
Cable. I would like for it to have a female in the front as shown and a male in the rear, so i can plug up the USB cable into the dash. It would be easy to drill a hole where the Airbag switch goes. Mine is a 2008 so it's empty...

I'm having a hard time finding something like it. not the Grom adapter for ipod, just Female in the front and Male in the rear...

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #36
m771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to all

m771401's Tacoma Gallery
I think I might have already posted this.. but this is my USB setup.

I just use a USB cable to go from the Cigg. adapter to the Keystone jack I installed in my console.

Attached Thumbnails
My USB port write-up-img_0084.jpg   My USB port write-up-img_0087.jpg   My USB port write-up-img_0088.jpg   My USB port write-up-img_0101.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #37
Lowroach is on a distinguished road

Name: Phil
Lowroach's Tacoma Gallery
Another slick option

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=31

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #38
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
^^Thanks for posting that, that will be badass for extending rear usb lines from many new stereos!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #39
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
I am confused. I just bought a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab and was planning on doing this sort of mod based upon what I read here. However, now that I have the Truck at home I noticed that I don't have any blanks at all in the center console of my truck
Is this something that came on later models? Is there a way to purchase a console that has these blanks and put it on my 2007?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #40
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Good post! Will be doing this soon for sure!