My USB port write-up

Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #41
akdisney is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Alan
akdisney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post
Found it at radioshack, but it would most likely by cheaper at either of those places.
Do you remember the part number or picture of the case it came in.
I did fast look at Radio shack and did not find it.
do you know what location in the store to find it?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #42
duckdoctor is a splendid one to beholdduckdoctor is a splendid one to beholdduckdoctor is a splendid one to beholdduckdoctor is a splendid one to beholdduckdoctor is a splendid one to beholdduckdoctor is a splendid one to beholdduckdoctor is a splendid one to behold

duckdoctor's Tacoma Gallery
The auxiliary plug, is that from factory and does it tie into the radio for mp3 players?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #43
Erll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to beholdErll is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Navy Nuke MM2, USS Albany
Name: My Name is Erll
Erll's Tacoma Gallery
Found USB Dash Mount Outlet 12v input

http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/hubVoltdm.asp

I think this will make a great addition. Easy 3/4 inch hole install
Attached Thumbnails
My USB port write-up-hubvoltdm.jpg  
Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #45
MillerMan06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
MillerMan06's Tacoma Gallery
did your 3 12v plug come with toggles already built in we might have the same set up of 12v plugs i need to find a good place to mount the 3 plugs and i need to hard wire it as well!!! got any pics would love to see your set up on the 12v 3 plug adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfire88 View Post
the idea of hardwiring the plug in is a great one actually. i took a 3 plug cigarette lighter 12 volt adapter and did the same thing so i can charge my ipod and phone if either one dies and im not driving. its awesome
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #46
MillerMan06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
MillerMan06's Tacoma Gallery
you gave me a great idea cause im still new to TW i didnt think of doing this but be for i do how is tapping into the 4x4 fuse spot working out is it giving any problems cause i have a prerunner as well if it gives no probs than thats my answer to where i can do my hard wire that i need to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post
Problem: Not enough 12v outlets.

Solution: Consolidate any devices drawing power from a USB port to have its own port.

What I used:
12v to USB adapter (See end of post for information on picking out an adapter)
12AWG wire? (can't remember exactly, but what I used was overkill since it was all I had on hand)
Crimped Eyelet
Add-A-Circuit
20A Fuse(stock fuse didn't fit in AAC)
Dremel, soldering iron, etc.

Finding a fuse to tap into was easy. Since I have a Prerunner I could tap into the 4x4 circuit without affecting anything.

I gutted a 12v to USB car adapter so that I could fit it in one of the buttons below the radio. I was getting impatient as my dremel was low on charge so it's not as prefessional looking as I would have liked.

Another picture showing the amount of wire used. The red crimp shown is where I connected the ground later.

The most time consuming part was feeding the wire through the back of the dash.

Once that wire was complete I went back and connected the ground to the radio mount.

Then just push the button back in.

The USB port is actually sitting flush unlike how it was in the earlier pictures. I could have taken it slower while fitting it and make it look more professional, but due to it's position you don't pay much attention to it. This mod works great if you have a mp3 player since it's right next to your Aux jack, but it could be placed anywhere.

If you plan to use this with an Iphone or Ipod please take note of the following:

Suggestion: ElectronMan did the same mod, however takes a different approach and mounts a fully fuctional USB port with the ability to hook the port to an aftermarket HU should the need arise. I'd suggest reading his thread which is located HERE.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #47
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Very good write up. going to move the Kenwood HU USB connector from the Glove box to a blank. Nice and easy and since it charges the Itouch its plenty strong enough
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #48
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerMan06 View Post
you gave me a great idea cause im still new to TW i didnt think of doing this but be for i do how is tapping into the 4x4 fuse spot working out is it giving any problems cause i have a prerunner as well if it gives no probs than thats my answer to where i can do my hard wire that i need to do
The 4x4 spot is not causing any problems.

...Yeah this is a month old, but I've been busy!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #49
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Way too much work man. You hacked the hell out of that dummy button.

I got one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218064404513

Mine is similar but even smaller and does not stick out.

If I were to actually add a USB port, it would be directly into my HU. But, I've been too lazy and no tools here =[
I have one similar to that too. Can't remember the brand, but it actually has 2 usb ports in one.

I love how my 1st gen has 3 front cigarette plug ins Plenty for any situation.