Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

need more help please

Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
david is an unknown quantity at this point
david's Tacoma Gallery
Angry need more help please

well guys it is starting to get harder an harder to keep liking my tacoma, been outta the shop a week or so had almost 3 grand of work done . been doin great till this mornin tryed to start it to warm up an it wont start ran the battery down recharged it an it still wont start. tryed again this evenin an it still wont start .an i have no idea where to start lookin for the problem .an its 80 miles to my dealer. any help wood br appreciated thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
an 06 is still under factory warrenty right? anything in the warrenty about towing it to the dealer if it wont start to fix it?? probably not, just wondering.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
What's happening? Do the lights come on? Does it try to turn over or completely dead? Do the dash lights go crazy?

I've heard a few people getting bad batteries. Plates fuse or something and cause weird problems.

Where are you located? Truck still under warranty? Any mechanics/shops nearby?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
david's Tacoma Gallery
no warranty is out
Old 12-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
david's Tacoma Gallery
it will crank an the lights come on averything works but it just wont start
Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
david's Tacoma Gallery
machanics close but none that work on foriegn vehicles
Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

out of warranty already? Damn!

Any kind of clicking noise? I'm wondering if your starter's bad. The one in my 98 Corolla died a few years ago, it's so rare that a dealer would've had to special order it. Ended up getting one from a junk yard, but that's another story.

Manual or auto? (Thinking pop start it if it's a manual)

Edit:

Oh, and I know with mine sometimes it doesn't want to start if I turn the key too quickly. Like I have to turn it to ON for a few seconds, then on to Start.

Stupid question, but have you tried that? I've had mine act like it was flooded or something for a few minutes until I did that. Scared the crap out of me being a new vehicle and all!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
david's Tacoma Gallery
no its a automatic ,an i think the starter is fine acts like u just shut the fuel off
Old 12-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
Devout Atheist

Heck. maybe just unplug the battery for 10-15 minutes so everything resets. It's all computerized now and sometimes a reboot fixes everything!

Also, we have that engine immobilizer thing. I don't have a key without the transponder so I have no idea how that thing acts when it's enabled. Maybe that needs to be reset or something (by unhooking the battery).
Old 12-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
no its a automatic ,an i think the starter is fine acts like u just shut the fuel off
ok. Check all the fuses? Make sure none of them are blown? Like ignition ones, or anything to do with the fuel pump (not sure what it would be under so check them all).
Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
david's Tacoma Gallery
alread checked fuses an none were blown . i will try the battery unhook an see if that halps thanks.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #12
david's Tacoma Gallery
well that didnt work
Old 12-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Is it the key that originally came with the truck? I know that the current generation Tacomas have a transponder in the key that is synced with the ECU. I think it might be the key itself.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Is it the key that originally came with the truck? I know that the current generation Tacomas have a transponder in the key that is synced with the ECU. I think it might be the key itself.
That's an idea. Do you have a second key with transponder to try? I know you aren't supposed to get the keys wet or drop them, so who knows how sensitive they really are.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have a security system thats mal-fuck-tioning do you? My old frontier had a module that I removed and it killed the starter.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
david's Tacoma Gallery
i tryed the other key also an it still wont start.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
Devout Atheist

Just out of curiosity, have you hooked the battery up to a charger while you keep trying to start it? I can't think of anything else unless some part of the ignition died.... fuel pump, immobilizer, etc.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive me for being elementary, you need three things, fuel, fire and air. Air is pretty much a no-brainer, so look at the other two, you must try to see if your getting fire, and without it cranking that is going to be difficult. I don't know what kind of equipment you own, but a tester to see if you are getting power through the lines. If you own such a device I would check with the spark plug wires first. Then maybe the lines from the fuel pump, it's going to be a process of elimination, assume nothing. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #19
david's Tacoma Gallery
ya im off next 3 days so im gonna try an figure something out.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #20
Devout Atheist

While you're at it, maybe call the dealership. See if they have any tricks to try since you obviously can't drive it in for them to look at and fix. Maybe they can at least help you get it in there to fix.