Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacomas are made in Mexico???

Old 12-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Tacomas are made in Mexico???

I have been looking at some 05-08 Tacomas in the past few days.
I ran the VINS on a couple through carfax and some say made in Mexico and some say made in USA.
Is there any research that shows whether the Mexican made Tacoma is better or worse than a US made Tacoma?
I guess that I just was not aware that Tacomas were made in Mexico.
Does anyone have any input on the reliability of a Mexican made Tacoma versus an American made Tacoma?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I can't say for sure what percentage of Tacoma's or what model Tacoma's are Hecho en Mexico but if the VIN starts with a 3 then it is made in Mexico. If it's a 1, 4 or a 5 then it's made here in America.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
Does anyone have any input on the reliability of a Mexican made Tacoma versus an American made Tacoma?
IMO, this should not be a concern since its quality controlled by Toyota no matter where it's assembled. However, I would bargain harder on a Mexican built Taco and if the dealer wont play, I'd specifically ask for (put on purchase contract) a US built Taco or the deal is void. They may have a higher profit margin on a Mexi-Taco due to lower wages and production cost's.

FYI, many new BMW's are built in Mexico.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I would hope that Toyota has a very high standard of Quality checks in place to make sure their products are the same (in quality standards) no matter where they are produced.

However - the Quality checks are only as good as the employee's who build the trucks and the employees conducting the quality checks.

Toyota should have the properly skilled/trained employees building these trucks no matter where they are built.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked mine and it begins with a 5, so U.S. made, and it has been a great truck, very happy.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
vivafire is on a distinguished road

vivafire's Tacoma Gallery
Mine begins with a 3. Hey I might be chicano be there are still things that worried me coming from Mexico.

Except the Tequila!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
CNW will become famous soon enough

CNW's Tacoma Gallery
MexTaco

My dealer told me the one I ordered is coming from Mexico. He said that was good. They have had good products out of this plant.

Craig
Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you this: I researched a Camry for quite a while before buying the Tacoma and the Camry's with the majority of problems (trans issues for one) were built outside of Japan. There simply isn't the work ethic in Mexico or the US that exists in Japan.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
There simply isn't the work ethic in Mexico or the US that exists in Japan.
lol i thought everybody knew that!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #10
Critter is on a distinguished road

Critter's Tacoma Gallery
Well according news this morning, Toyota quality has fell some per JD Power and Consumer Reports they attributed it to growing pains. They forecast Toyota will pass GM as largest auto mfger in 2008. JFYI.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Mexico What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You seem so suprised in this day and age we live in. Hey at least its not made in china like all those toys with lead in them!