Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LEER topper weight? Mpg difference?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
wesley is on a distinguished road
wesley's Tacoma Gallery
LEER topper weight? Mpg difference?

dose anyone know how much a leer xr weighs? experienced any power loss up hill? or having to really step on it to get it going? will adding a camper shell help my pre runner hook up a little better in snow with chains?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Since it's fiberglass, I wouldn't expect it to weigh much. I also don't think you'll have much power loss at all uphill.

I'd still put sandbags or cinderblocks (more weight) in the back with a PreRunner in the snow, to get more back end traction.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't noticed any power loss with mine. They're not that heavy, only took two of us to remove the topper from my full size Dodge and set it on another truck. LEER should have the specs on their website.

Mike
Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
my leer weighs 200 lbs thats what they told me. truck still runs with same power. lost about 2 mpg with the rims and topper
Old 08-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
A lot to lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmon420 View Post
my leer weighs 200 lbs thats what they told me. truck still runs with same power. lost about 2 mpg with the rims and topper
Seems like a lot of mileage to loss. Do you attribute it more to the wheels than the cap? They say the cap is supposed to help mileage.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
maybe its just the wheels and lift. last time i checked i got 294 miles before light came on i want to see how many miles i get on this next tank
Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiiver View Post
Seems like a lot of mileage to loss. Do you attribute it more to the wheels than the cap? They say the cap is supposed to help mileage.
My question would be how is the OP tracking the milage- If the rims/tires are a difference size that'll change your mileage reading/gas mileage. Between a lift with new tires and the weight from the cap I can see 2 mpgs...
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
No significant mileage difference from mine (still have the stock Dunlops).

Mike
Old 08-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
my mileage sucked before i put the cap on and still sucks after. i stopped caring about my mpg.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
TACO 1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
TACO 1's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't notice any decrease with mine, there is less drag. I fill up about every 300 miles +/-
Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
AFTaco will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 2W0
Name: Doug
AFTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Actually the topper will decrease gas mileage. According to Myth Busters, these best thing you can do for gas mileage is to leave the tailgate up.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mythbusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTaco View Post
Actually the topper will decrease gas mileage. According to Myth Busters, these best thing you can do for gas mileage is to leave the tailgate up.
I saw their test on the caps. It was very unscientific and frankly I think quite flawed. I am not sure if the extra weight of the cap offsets any improvement in aerodynamic drag.
I certainly don't think a tailgate up helps mileage, that would debunk all the advertisements for tonneau covers.

I odered a cab high fiberglass cap today , so I'll report my mileage findings.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Is this topper youall are talking about the most flush one there is for tacomas? I want one that looks really streamline with the truck- kinda like an SUV apperance!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Cab High Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwaterski View Post
Is this topper youall are talking about the most flush one there is for tacomas? I want one that looks really streamline with the truck- kinda like an SUV apperance!
You can get the cap/topper/shell in many heights from cab high to much higher. I also prefer the cab high model. Check them out at leer.com
Old 08-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
I saw their test on the caps. It was very unscientific and frankly I think quite flawed. I am not sure if the extra weight of the cap offsets any improvement in aerodynamic drag.
I certainly don't think a tailgate up helps mileage, that would debunk all the advertisements for tonneau covers.

Yeah- Because EVERYONE advertises the complete truth.

The trucks are designed to run without covers/caps/devices...so I'm going to go with they are reasonably efficient as is. Start messing with that air flow you are GOING to turn laminar into turbulent flow and that induces drag...
Old 08-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
TACO 1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
TACO 1's Tacoma Gallery
LEER Topper

Check out my pic's
Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO 1 View Post
Check out my pic's
here is a good place to show that great top off!!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...our-shell.html

I had my shell on for 1 run of a tank of gas. It improved my mileage by a little over 1 mpg. I had to send the top back to get new windows. I'll pick up more runs to get a more accurate count when I get it back.

I use the same pump, on the same setting, at the same time of day...blah blah blah.......I'm ocd with my MPG.........
Old 08-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

From what I understand, a tonneau gives the most improvement in mileage. A cap reduces it because of the amount of turbulence it creates behind the truck. No tonneau and leaving the tailgate down causes more turbulence behind the cab. With the tailgate up, there's a slight improvement, due to it causing air to swirl in the bed, acting as a cushion and helping air move more quickly over the bed.

I didn't see the Mythbusters take this on, but more often than not, their testing is very flawed.