1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

newbie from Rhode Island

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by iceman117, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Dec 25, 2007 at 7:57 AM
    iceman117

iceman117 [OP] Member

Member:
    hey guys and gals MERRY CHRISTMAS!

my name is Adam and i dont own a Taco yet but my sonoma just inhaled water, hdrolocked the motor and broke something... time for a new truck right!

i just got a job working for the MBTA in boston so i need a reliable set of wheels and preferrably a pickup to get me back and forth the hour trip daily.

ive been looking at the 05-06 reg cab, short bed, 4cyl, 5 speeds and have been seeing a regular price of about $10k-14k with between 2k miles to 36k miles. do these figures sound about right and what should i look out for?

thanks a lot and i look forward to being regular member on these boards.

2. Dec 25, 2007 at 8:20 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    welcome to the site! ill move this over to the 2nd gen forum so youll get a better response to your question.

(expect at least one top gun joke)

3. Dec 25, 2007 at 8:21 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Hey Iceman! !! Welcome to the wild and wacky World of TacoMania where the Love of God, Family, and Tacos rule! !!!:D

Happy Holiday

Don G

4. Dec 25, 2007 at 8:22 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Welcome to TW, sorry about your truck, but if your going to be looking for a new one, here is the place. As you well know vehicles are expensive, so if your going to spend the money, spend wisely. I love the look of a reg. cab, but my life would make it difficult to live with, when purchasing a new vehicle, don't think of what will work now, but what will I need to work later. Think what are your hobbies, interests, kids ? none now, what about later? 4x4 ? What ever you end up with, don't let money, or the lack there of, push you into a vehicle that does not fit the bill. We are always here, and there are so many of us and so many pix in gallery, by the time you purchase all your questions should be answered. :burnrubber:

5. Dec 25, 2007 at 8:49 AM
    iceman117

iceman117 [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks all for the support and warm welcome.

im only 20 now and dont see myself needing anything more than something with good gas mileage and a bed for my BMX bike. untill i get a footing, apartment and some money in my bank account lol i dont think ill need much more.

but are there any specific problems newer Tacos have i should look out for ie: rusting, wheel bearings, faulty wiring, etc. etc.

6. Dec 25, 2007 at 11:39 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    There are a few threads here and there about rear springs(TSB) an a few quirks, but for the most part everybody digs there rigs ! We are constantly trying to mod and tweak them for more horsey's and better fuel milage. 3" toytec lifts are popular and everybody wants tires and rims. Hang out for a while and you should get all that you need. Drive on.

7. Dec 25, 2007 at 12:04 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Hey iceman.Welcome to TW.....Are you one of those folks in the current Toyota ads that destroys his truck to get a new Toyota?:D

8. Dec 25, 2007 at 6:11 PM
    iceman117

iceman117 [OP] Member

Member:
    haha ya basically. actually blowing the engine in the s10 gives me more of a reason to do a v8 swap to it also lol.

the funds have to recharge again for that one though :cool:

9. Dec 25, 2007 at 7:47 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Welcome Iceman! From S10 to Tacoma sounds like a nice upgrade. Out of curiosity how did you manage to hydrolock your S10?

10. Dec 26, 2007 at 4:51 AM
    Critter

Critter Well-Known Member

Member:
    For hiway driving & all weather checkout Tire Rack and Avon Ranger a could deal and value for your buck!

11. Dec 26, 2007 at 1:33 PM
    iceman117

iceman117 [OP] Member

Member:
    well my town has been expanding their bikepath quite a bit lately and built a section of it over this bridge to join another section. well to protect, they had put up jersey barriers and im geussing blocked all the drainage at this point of the bridge, the water was half way up 4' barriers. being night time and raining quite hard i didnt see this small pond on the road (mostly my fault). when i noticed it a slammed the brakes and couldnt stop in time and sorta slid into it, sucked water and stalled it. i thought i just got my coil packs wet so i waited a few minutes to try to start it... tried to start it and it kicked back on itself! I knew it was over right then and there but waited some more and tried starting it again, this time it started but sounded like little engine gnomes were driving spikes through my pistons.

after that i flat towed it home and left it for my brother to rebuild for his first truck lol. (i've rebuilt it twice after hitting two utilitie poles)

i bought the truck with 250000k on it, replaced the engine and drove it for five years untill now. Being my first vehicle, i think ive done good for myself.

12. Dec 26, 2007 at 2:30 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Welcome to the site iceman. I can't be of my help on those prices since I haven't been looking at those specs, but generally speaking the Tacomas have only minor issues.

I'm late to the game, but I'll take you up on that prediction. Can I change my nick to 'goose'. That one's not taken yet, is it? Nah, I'd better not. I'll leave that one available for a Canadian.

13. Dec 27, 2007 at 1:11 PM
    iceman117

iceman117 [OP] Member

Member:
    haha ya i knew the top gu nthing was gunna come up.

but the reality is my father owns an ice company and i have been working there ever since i could so iceman fits.

ICEMAN COMETH!!!

14. Dec 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    But you may not realize that a couple of regulars here have nicks derived from Maverick and Viper. And on top of that Maverick is the king of Top Gun trivia.

Products Discussed in

To Top