1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Change Q's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GeoTaco, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco [OP] the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    So im at 3000 miles now, and want to change out the original oil. I am going on a road trip and will be putting 1100 miles on the truck this weekend. I want to go to a synthetic, but the dealership wants to charge me $90. I say F that!! so my questions are, should I just wait till i hit 5000 miles (does it really make a difference if you change the original oil at 3000 or 5000)? or should I go ahead and put synthetic in this week.

Also I have never changed the oil and any car, and I want to do it myself, but have no clue how. I know there are threads about how to do it and whatnot, but how easy is it? Im fairly mechanically inclined, but obviously dont want to F anything up by missing a step. Do I need any "special tools" or other supplies (do i need to jack it up to physically get to the oil pan, remove any skid plates, I have factory TRD skid, along with bull bar)? What do you do with the oil when you are done? do places recycle it or do i have to find a place to legally "dump" it.

2. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You'll be fine to wait to 5K...If you have the time go ahead and make the switch- but the car won't implode if you wait to 5K.

There are some threads around with tips and info about hte oil change- like how to NOT drain the transmission and how to use tubing to drain the oil filter catch pan cleanly.
    You shouldn't have to remove anything to get the oil out.

Put the oil in a clean container and find an Autozone or Pep Boys type place- they normally have an oil catch basin that you can put used oil into for free

3. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    There is a write up on oil change if you click on "Mods & Tutorials". I don't trust ANYONE to touch my truck. It's very easy- buy a 12 dollar drain pan that seals up, throw it in the back of your truck and take it to Advance, Discount Auto, Autozone, etc. They have drums that you pour it in. It is illegal to dump it anywhere.

The fully synthetic that the second gen 2TR takes is 0w-20 (I think) and I wouldn't recommend- it's like 8 dollars a quart in Florida, WASTE of money. I would recommend getting a FRAM or K&N oil filter though for $12-15, I think toyota uses the cheapo mobil 1 filters that are like 3 bucks. These are supposed to be "hand-tight" and are not difficult to get off.

4. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
  5. Aug 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    You may want to also invest into a Haynes manual, just so you have something to use as a reference and information off of this website to learn the basics. Also there are a lot of tips and tricks you will learn over the years to make it easier for you. I would suggest doing a search on google or youtube and read up on what some people do when they change their oil.

Here is some tips out of the many:

Just make sure NOT to drain your Trans. oil, change your oil after getting your truck up to running temp.,change it on a level surface and put your e-brake on with wheel blocks, don't over tighten your oil drain plug, put the oil drain washer back on the plug, make sure NOT to use Fram oil filters, dab some oil on the rubber oil filter gasket before putting it on.

After putting oil into it you need to have some body look under the truck and engine compartment to look for leaks when you start it up and turn it off if there is a leak.

Products Discussed in

To Top