1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nerf Bars for Door Dings?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by littleschipper, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Aug 11, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    littleschipper

littleschipper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4X4 TRD (Stealth mode - No Stinkin' Body Badges here!)
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Leer 100XQ Bed Cap, 3M Paint Protector Film, Cool SMT LED Bulbs for Brake Lights, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Lock, Toyota Bed Divider, 2002 Yamaha V-Max Hot Rod Motorcycle for More Fun!
    My father just got his first Toyota and it's a Taco! (I think he fell in love with my '07 Taco.) He was asking me about nerf bars to protect his truck from door dings. I have a 1982 Jeep CJ-7 that has some old, original Smittybilt nerf bars that bolted to the frame and stuck out several inches from the bodywork, protecting the bodywork from car doors. (They no longer make them like this.) These are what my father is looking for. Nerf bars for his Taco that will protect the bodywork. I've noticed that almost every set I've seen for the Taco are close to the body and even make it easy to kick the body using the steps. My old Smittybilt's were wide enough that you could step on them without ganking the body. Does anyone know of nerf bars like this for the Taco?:notsure:

P.S. He did consider the electric steps that move into place when you open the door but those can't keep the door dingers at bay...)

2. Aug 11, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Talk to a custom metal fab place- They can make some tube "sliders" and add step plates into them that'll stick out as far as your dad would like...

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    I'm also looking for the round type everyday average - maybe cheap nerf bars to help with door dings and not having much luck with info. seems that more folks would be into using the bars for protection and they would be talking about it, ( which model works best etc...)

I think the oval ones stick out farther than the round type but do not look as good imo

4. Aug 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    ^ I like the look of the stainless round nerf bar and my truck is a daily driver so have no plans on sliding on rocks etc... If I went off roading the sliders would certainly be what I would buy.

the OP is correct, most bars barely stick out enough to even get a foot in there to lift yourself up. someone with a big foot can forget it

5. Aug 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    I have new Smittybuilt nerf bars coming next month for my truck. They are on back order. I wonder if one could use some spacer between the bar and frame to make them stick out a bit more?

Gary K8IZ

6. Aug 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB

A u shaped piece of metal with a hole drilled in it to mount the bars to would work. the u would need to be installed vertically so that there is access to get the wrench inside the u to tighten down the bars. this u would need to be welded to the frame of the truck. this would eliminate all mounting hardware that comes with the bar assembly package except for the four bar bolts and washers

7. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    look at www.hunter4x4x.com
    i got my nerf bars from them, uses stock mounting locations, great quality.
    they stick out more then far enoungh, they touch the back of my leg as i get out. the wife loves them for getting in.
    the main reason i got them, door dings. i no longer worry about parking

8. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    ^ thanks for the tip. I think you have one 2 many x in your link

http://hunter4x4.com/

someone posted on a thread here that the body mounted bars like the ones in your link will cause more damage to the truck in a minor type accident or while off roading because they mount to the truck body instead of the frame. it seems that that that type of installation will allow the bars to stick out farther from the truck though which is exactly what I am looking for, hmmm

9. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    I purchased my nerf bars from a local truck accesory store.They actually stick out a little and helps with the dings etc. You could look at my pics also if you need to look at them.

[​IMG]

10. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB

[​IMG]

^ do yours mount to the frame or body, and do you know how much they stick past the door? Thanks

11. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    They mount to the frame and stick out about 3-6 inches.

12. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    All the ones I've seen on this forum and in the two years I've owned my truck, including the ones on my truck, mount to the frame. I've never even heard of "body mount" nerfs for these trucks.

13. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzfddQt2xE&feature=channel_page

they mount to the body and not the frame

those guys are doing great advertising with hot chicks, not

14. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You know, you're right. That's where mine are mounted. Why the hell did I think frame?

They are very strong, though. I weigh 223lbs (I was 241 2 months ago) and I stand on them every weekend washing my truck.

I think the only option for non frame mounted would be welded on sliders.

15. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    Old Soul

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    Toyota adds extra umph in the body where the bars mount to it I'm sure. Now I'm trying to remember where I read that someone messed up the body a little bit while off roading and coming down on a rock with the nerf bars. the bars bent and probably messed up the body mounting holes too. in that situation the frame mounted nerf bar would certainly not mess up the frame in any way, just the bar itself

16. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I wouldn't even consider nerfs if I were into offroading anything even remotely legit which is why I mentioned the sliders.

I personally like the Nfab design much better than the Westins I have, though, because they're actually useful for getting into the truck. The Westins mount too close to be anything other than an expensive pantleg soiling apparatus.

17. Mar 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    tomeverard

tomeverard Well-Known Member

Member:
    HELLO. New taco owner here. So which steps did you buy to help alleviate door dings??
    Thank You

18. Mar 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    I got my nerf bars from running board world.

http://www.runningboardworld.com/

I got 3" black ones for my truck for $171 delivered with all the hardware. The washers they sent were too small, though, so I had to spend $3 for the right size ones at Home Depot.

19. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Lots of options..... and whatever you like.

If you plan on doing any offroading - I'd go with rock sliders.
    I had a set of nerf bars on my 96 truck that bent badly while being high-centered.

I have OEM running boards on my 07 that protect my doors...(no offroading with this truck)

20. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    littleschipper

littleschipper [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4X4 TRD (Stealth mode - No Stinkin' Body Badges here!)
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Leer 100XQ Bed Cap, 3M Paint Protector Film, Cool SMT LED Bulbs for Brake Lights, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Lock, Toyota Bed Divider, 2002 Yamaha V-Max Hot Rod Motorcycle for More Fun!
    We never did find any ready-made bars like we wanted. The expense of going to a custom fab shop was too much for him (and me too.) We looked at mass produced sliders but they don't stick out far enough. I really, REALLY like the B.A.M.F. sliders as posted on Tacoma World but I'd like to see another two or three inches of width. I'm thinking about asking the builder, JLee, for a price on an wider pair but one standard bolt-on 96" set for a dbl cab is already $500, no options. Not cheap but certainly worth it. My father rarely drives his truck, it still has less than 30k miles on it. Mine, on the other hand, has well over 120k miles and not a single door ding (scratches from tree branches while hunting don't count!) I park way out in Timbuktu everywhere I go after dropping off the wife and kids at the door, of course. The rare times I have to park next to someone I try to find spots where I can angle it in, park on the end or an edge, or some other way to avoid the inconsiderate rectal apertures who don't give a snot drip about other vehicles, or their own. If anyone ever does find any like the old Smittybuilt bars that don't cost a mortgage payment, I'll buy them a case of beer! :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top