1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bone Stock Radio (Sport...No JBL, etc.) Make or Break Item?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IrishPilot, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Aug 11, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Ive finally found a dealership locally that actually has a Tacoma in stock (sounds silly...but ALL my local dealers are out of stock and waiting on 2010s).

2009 Sport 4x4 DC but it has the basic radio...not the Sport with JBL, or even the 6 disc, 6 speaker addon. Ive yet to see one of these (all Ive found at least have the addon if not the Sport-JBL package).

Is it decent?
    Worth holding out for the JBL package?

The dealership is about an hour away, and really dont want to make the drive if I am going to get there and be bummed out by a crap radio. Im also really not interested in aftermarket radios at the moment. I want great sound...but not ready to go aftermarket premium yet.

Thoughts?

2. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
    i think if ur really looking for a sound system, to get the one without and custom ur own the way u like. u may even save a little.

G

3. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Arcanite09

Arcanite09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nico
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD
    Alpine 9887, CDT HD-62Z fronts powered by Phoenix Gold ZX450 and Polk MMC650 rearpowered by MTX 2150x. Premier TS-SW1201S4 sub powered by SOUNDSTREAM Class A 10.0
    thats what i did. Im so much happier with the sound quality of my build.

4. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The JBL is a pile of crap, in fact consider it a bonus you're getting the stripped version. All the radios, albiet "decent" for stock, suck. Save that JBL money toward a real deck (hell even an in dash 7" touch with nav and the works), some real speakers, an amp, ect. Even if you don't need/want crazy, you can get some insanely clean powerful sound on the fairly cheap, way more than the JBL.

5. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Well, audio "performance" is always in the ear of the listener, so YMMV.

But IMHO, the rear speakers in the Access Cab don't provide much of a benefit, especially to the folks in the front part of the cab. I don't know how the speakers are laid out on the DC, so my statement may not be accurate for the DC.

With regard to the head unit itself, again IMHO you can almost always finder a "better" aftermarket HU than anything that comes stock, without spending a lot of money. Especially if you're interested in things like iPod integration, sat radio, etc.

The 2d gen Tacoma radio comes out extremely easily, and the double-DIN space will accommodate either a single-DIN form factor, or a double-DIN unit that features Nav, video etc., so there's lots of choices there.

Dash kits and wiring harnesses are readily available, making the installation very easy. If you can turn a socket wrench, you can swap out the HU. With a little more work, you can still pretty easily integrate something like a SWI-JACK to preserve your steering wheel controls (assuming your aftermarket HU supports that).

So, if it were me, it wouldn't stop me from buying the truck. In fact, I would prefer this truck, since it means I'm spending less money for an item that I know I'd be swapping out as one of my first mods.

6. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I have it, and its pretty decent if you replace the stock deck that comes with it. I threw a Premier head unit, along with the required line-out converter for the amplifier. I must say that with the higher pre-amp inputs, it sounds alot better. The subwoofer is muddy as hell, but it rattles my bed and shakes my rear view mirror- if thats what you're looking for.

Bang for the buck though, (I bought my truck TCUV and it already had the JBL) I'm not sure if its worth it. I would have stuck with base system and went up from there. For about 500 bucks you could put together a decent system with a new sub, amp and head unit that would outperform the JBL.

edit: Not sure how some of you guys can call it a complete piece of crap. The only thing that I think sucks about it is the muddy subwoofer, and its lack of ability to play anything lower than 50hz. I used to do dB drags and SQ comps. With that in mind, you'd think my expectations are high. I'm content with it so far. The rest of the system, components and all is pretty decent. Despite not being very well powered, it sounds good, and I'll argue that one with you guys all day.

JBL system with Premier HU. (With the amount of wiring and units involved there is NO SPACE left behind my deck)
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. I got my 09 access cab sport with the non-JBL system. I've heard worse stock sound systems. I'm actually going to stick with it for now. I had a Pioneer Avic-D3 in my Impala SS along with a JL Audio 12" with an Alpine amp so I do miss the good sound from that, but I'm selling that whole setup. Primarily because I just don't have room for the sub and the huge box it's in so I'm selling that and I've decided to just sell my D3. May just try to add some sort of shallow mount sub under the passenger seat at some piont though just to get some bass in there, but for the most part of past my phase of really getting into systems.

8. Aug 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    It still has the steering wheel controls correct?

9. Aug 11, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the DV stereo package in my access cab. You know, the "Flux Capacitor" subwoofer, single-disc player. It was a slight upgrade over standard, but I don't know if the head unit is different.

It has very nice sound for what I expect. I'm not an audiophile, but I do like to listen to a variety of music, and radio, and it's a decent factory system.

10. Aug 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Great sound isn't going to happen on a stock stereo imo (and all sound stuff is just that...opinion). I'd save a few bones on the stereo and get some better speakers or whatever to improve little by little...

Products Discussed in

To Top