LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Prep of plastic center caps for paint; what kind of paint?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Keats is on a distinguished road
Keats's Tacoma Gallery
Prep of plastic center caps for paint; what kind of paint?

I just picked up my TRD Off-Road alloy wheels the other day after having them powdercoated. I now want to paint the center caps to match. The plastic surface of the center caps is very sheen and I want whatever paint I use to adhere properly. I know Krylon makes a paint specifically for use with plastics. I hoping to find out from someone here the best way to prep and type of paint to use. I was thinking of sandblasting the caps with a light media to "rough" them up prior to paint, or maybe just some scotchbrite or light sandpaper. I'd appreciate any helpful info. Thanks, Tom
Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I didn't even sand mine....Just cleaned them real good with soap and water, then alcohol...Sprayed primer and then paint.
i'm not sure if my way is safe...but my center caps of my stockers would bubble up when i painted them with krylon fusion. i held a blow dryer on low and from a distance sprayed the caps with krylon fusion and had the blow dryer on low as i was spraying. it seemed as if it dried the paint instantly.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I wet sanded them first, then put rustoleum primer, then rustoleum black wheel paint.
what are the advantages of wet sanding versus dry sanding for painting in this application? is it a dust issue? less dust when wet sanding.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post
what are the advantages of wet sanding versus dry sanding for painting in this application? is it a dust issue? less dust when wet sanding.
Well honestly I just did it because thats what my other friends did when they did theirs. Mine are perfect imo. And i used a $2 tack cloth and wiped everything down before the primer.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
i'm sure if you wipe them down with alcohol after the sanding you will be fine
Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
I wet sanded mine also, used dupli-color primer and wheel paint. I think they came out really well and I haven't had any problems since I painted them.