Notices

too good to be true?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
iceman117 is on a distinguished road
iceman117's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to iceman117
too good to be true?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=46

it seems like a really nice truck but $10k for 36xxx mi?

im going to take a look at it tommorow.

what do you think.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Well, a brand new, no miles, 2008 base model like that with full warranty is only around $15k so what do you think?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
That's a nice truck, just getting broken in at 36K miles. Jump on it while the gettings still good.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Well, a brand new, no miles, 2008 base model like that with full warranty is only around $15k so what do you think?
Let me add, with no skeletons in the closet .
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
To add what the Master is leading into... have you done a carfax on it ? Best 8 bucks you could spend, excluding steak ! hehe Master !
Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
Let me add, with no skeletons in the closet .

My thoughts exactly... 3-4yrs old, who knows how it was driven, and only 4-5k less than new with "no" problems. I know they do a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty on used, but I don't know how that works. Do you have to buy it "certified used" from Toyota, any dealer, or will private sale be covered too? Something to look into I suppose since bumper-bumper 3yr/36k is out, and 5yr/60k is about half over.

My last 2 vehicles were used. Last one (98 Corolla) was a "Toyota Certified Used Vehicle" before they started doing this 7yr/100k warranty and there were lots of little things wrong. Nothing required for the vehicle to function, but irritating none the less. And then the dealer I bought from was a pain in the ass to deal with. We have/had 13 Toyotas in my family, and the last 3 or 4 were not bought from that dealership due to the way my mom and I were treated by the OWNER when we took the Corolla in. Actually got in a heated argument with him. (And the wheel/hub we were arguing about fixing fell off 2 days later at another dealership 120+ miles away. THEY promptly ordered the parts to fix it, ordered a rental car and had a guy drive 100 miles to get the part they couldn't get shipped in time.)
Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
AZsurfer13 is on a distinguished road

AZsurfer13's Tacoma Gallery
You can find much better

I say dont do it. The interior in that truck looks pretty worn down. Since you know how the owner treated the interior I can only imagine how he treated it mechanically. It seriously looks like a bear has been living in the truck, and once he moved out some frat guys lost their house and decided to party in the truck until a new house was available.

Sorry Ive got a big imagination, Dont get that truck, you can find a much better deal.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

After what Tiger and Surfer said; I would agree. I not saying buy new but keep looking. Mine was used, 8111 miles on it, the original owner took the hit and I made out like a bandit, so far it's the best truck I've had.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
AZsurfer13 is on a distinguished road

AZsurfer13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
After what Tiger and Surfer said; I would agree. I not saying buy new but keep looking. Mine was used, 8111 miles on it, the original owner took the hit and I made out like a bandit, so far it's the best truck I've had.

Yeah I got mine used as well. it had 4800 miles on it and was toyota certified 100,000 mile powertrain warrenty. Out the door after taxes and everything it was roughly 16,000. The price on the sticker was 14,100 which was still pretty good.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
To add what the Master is leading into... have you done a carfax on it ? Best 8 bucks you could spend, excluding steak ! hehe Master !

That will help, but won't cover everything. What if the guy backed into a pole and decided to pay the repair rather than his deductible so there was no insurance claim? I'm assuming no claim = no listing in CarFax.

Or was in an accident and the other person (or owner) decided to pay for it out of pocket to avoid police, ticket, and increase insurance rates? I know I've had a couple minor accidents I didn't file a claim for or bother getting fixed. Small scratches, cracked bumper (going to be replaced sometime anyway) so they weren't worth my $500 deductible or dealing with the insurance company over them.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
10k for low miles tacoma, these trucks are built to last. If you have a 10 k budget, I'd at least take a good look at this truck.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
That will help, but won't cover everything. What if the guy backed into a pole and decided to pay the repair rather than his deductible so there was no insurance claim? I'm assuming no claim = no listing in CarFax.

Or was in an accident and the other person (or owner) decided to pay for it out of pocket to avoid police, ticket, and increase insurance rates? I know I've had a couple minor accidents I didn't file a claim for or bother getting fixed. Small scratches, cracked bumper (going to be replaced sometime anyway) so they weren't worth my $500 deductible or dealing with the insurance company over them.
True that !
Old 12-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^Minor accidents don't affect anything as long as the repairs were done properly. After the illegal rear ended mine in Sept, I have a new bumper and tailgate and minor paint work (scratch repaired). So, essentially, the truck is the same as before or even better because I have new parts.

BTW, what's so bad about the interior on that truck? I see a cigarette burn in the drivers seat which is always a value added feature (ahem) but other than that, I don't see anything too bad.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
thanks for all of the great input. i do have a $10k limit id like to stay under if at all possible because not only will i be paying this thing off, i will be paying off college also .

the truck ropes me in because it is a lot newer than even my parents vehicles, appealing to the eye and has all of the things i want ie: 4cyl 5spd 2wd reg cab short bed.

i just spoke with the dealership that my family has been dealing with for a while and they seem pretty legit. im gunna give these guys a week and then look again on the internets. i think i will look for something with less miles on it also... for not much more money i can have a much less mileage.

thanks all
Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
u also have to realize my first truck that lasted me 4 solid years, i bought with 250,000 miles on it for $600.

my mind is saying anything less than 90k miles is low mileage and $10k is a LOT of money haha.

im making a big change... sry about the indecision lol
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #16
Devout Atheist

It's understandable! My Tacoma is the newest in the family by 2 yrs (mom's 04 Rav4) and more than my grandparent's Camrys. I went new because I needed the DC for the family (wife and 2 kids at the time, 3 now), and used ones at the time were only $2k less than new..... After having 2 used vehicles I didn't want to buy someone else's problems just to save $2k. Especially when that $2 would buy me everything I wanted: 4wd, 6spd, Indigo Ink, 6 cd, locker, fog lights, keyless entry, power locks/windows, sport seats w/lumbar (a god send there!!!!), etc. Everything I wanted, no one else's problems, bad habits, or questions break-in/maintenance for just $2k more.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
Devout Atheist

Oh, and it's a manual... I love manuals, but hate getting them from other people. Maybe I'm just cocky and think I can shift better than anyone else, but I hate getting them used. I pride myself on shifting smooth enough that you don't even feel the transitions and it's smoother than some automatics. So buying a used one where the last owner tore up the clutch, tried to learn stick with it, raced it, or just didn't know wtf they were doing is like asking for a repair bill when you buy it! Sure the clutch should be fine... I have 42k on mine, no issues. (Maybe something different with 05's, I know they had a lot of issues with that year.) Then again, if they abused it you could need a new clutch (Guessing at least $500 unless you know someone), or worse a new tranny. I had a ex's father replace the clutch in my Corolla around 150k miles, and a 1000 or so later the tranny went. Blew out some gear. Not sure if it's related to the "redneck" garage replacing the clutch or not. But these being hydraulic clutches you won't know it's bad until you're stranded somewhere (since they self adjust), or have a mechanic tear into the tranny to look at it. New tranny for my car was $1500 with parts and labor for a used one with 48k on it. So figure out what it would cost for this truck.

As for your budget... My Corolla cost just over $9k OTD with a 6.9% rate with my mother co-signing since my credit wasn't good enough. The payments were only $160/mo so if you can get a rate like that, then you can get an idea what it would cost to finance. Not sure if you're paying cash or financing. If cash, you could put half down, get a good rate, have low payments and put the rest in a high interest savings account, CD, etc to have later on or pay down those student loans (after you consolidate if possible).
Old 12-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #18
i just built the tacoma i wanted on toyota.com and it only came to $14900 so i may just see if i can buy a new one.

didnt realize they were such a good deal new.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #19
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman117 View Post
i just built the tacoma i wanted on toyota.com and it only came to $14900 so i may just see if i can buy a new one.

didnt realize they were such a good deal new.

No.... It's more like they just don't go DOWN later!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #20
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the big deal??..Its a stripped down base modle truck!..Go buy a new one with what you want.