Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tool box mod

Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

Army: Infantry
c2thegreat's Tacoma Gallery
tool box mod

I bought this box before I found this site so I didn't know about the j hook method of attaching tool boxes. I attached it by using a 1inch washer in the rail with a bolt. Then i put another washer and a nut to hold the bolt in place. I did this on both sides of the rail. Then I lined up the box and drilled holes in the back. I used a washer and a wingnut to secure the box so it can be easily removed if I'm hauling something large.

After the box was on for a while i decided I didn't like the chrome look since I'm planning on blacking the truck out. I got some automotive sand paper and sanded the crap out of the box. I bought a couple cans of the spray on bedliner(applied the same way as spray paint)from wal mart. and sprayed the toolbox. I was happy how it turned out. The finish is even and i like the textured look. The toolbox definately looks better black on a black truck.

This is a cheap and easy mod if you wished you bought a black toolbox and don't want want to drop the coin on a new one.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Phightin Phils 2008 Champs
Niknaq will become famous soon enoughNiknaq will become famous soon enough

Air Force: 1A3
Name: Nick
Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
very nice! I got a quote to powder coat mine for 65 in many different colors, thinking about a dark grey. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for materials in all and how do you think it will hold up?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

The spray cans of bedliner were like 7 bucks each at wal-mart. I bought 3 cans but didn't use all of the third can. I put several coats on the box so I think it should hold up pretty well just make sure you sand the metal first to help adhesion. Its a textured surface and it seems pretty durable. People use it to line their truck beds so I imagine it will last a while. The best part is if i get a gouge or scratch I can just spray over it with the rest of the can I have left over.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #5

and they only have the black i used at wal-mart but I don't know if you can find other colors online or not