Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tool box mod

Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

Army: Infantry
c2thegreat's Tacoma Gallery
tool box mod

I bought this box before I found this site so I didn't know about the j hook method of attaching tool boxes. I attached it by using a 1inch washer in the rail with a bolt. Then i put another washer and a nut to hold the bolt in place. I did this on both sides of the rail. Then I lined up the box and drilled holes in the back. I used a washer and a wingnut to secure the box so it can be easily removed if I'm hauling something large.

After the box was on for a while i decided I didn't like the chrome look since I'm planning on blacking the truck out. I got some automotive sand paper and sanded the crap out of the box. I bought a couple cans of the spray on bedliner(applied the same way as spray paint)from wal mart. and sprayed the toolbox. I was happy how it turned out. The finish is even and i like the textured look. The toolbox definately looks better black on a black truck.

This is a cheap and easy mod if you wished you bought a black toolbox and don't want want to drop the coin on a new one.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Phightin Phils 2008 Champs
Niknaq will become famous soon enoughNiknaq will become famous soon enough

Air Force: 1A3
Name: Nick
Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
very nice! I got a quote to powder coat mine for 65 in many different colors, thinking about a dark grey. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for materials in all and how do you think it will hold up?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

The spray cans of bedliner were like 7 bucks each at wal-mart. I bought 3 cans but didn't use all of the third can. I put several coats on the box so I think it should hold up pretty well just make sure you sand the metal first to help adhesion. Its a textured surface and it seems pretty durable. People use it to line their truck beds so I imagine it will last a while. The best part is if i get a gouge or scratch I can just spray over it with the rest of the can I have left over.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #5

and they only have the black i used at wal-mart but I don't know if you can find other colors online or not