1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URGENT - trailer wiring help?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vwkismet, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Aug 13, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    vwkismet

vwkismet [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 2.7 4cyl. SR5
    Hi folks - left on vacation with my '09 Taco after having a local shop put on my hitch. I assumed :)o and I'm paying for it now) that they were going to include the wiring - they didn't. Now I need to tow my in-law's small trailer tomorrow and I don't have the wiring. I went to a local Napa and the harness kit they have says it is for the 2005 - 2007 Tacoma. They don't have any listing at all for the 2009.

Can anyone tell me if this kit will work? (I think the part number ended in 1857 or 1859 FWIW.)

I know I will probably have to put it in through the tail lights - I searched around on here and I should be able to pull that off fine. But, I just want to make sure the kit works!

Thanks for the rescue,

Michael

2. Aug 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    grammy

grammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    4x4 v6 X-Cab
    I am pretty sure that kit will work in the 09. Get it, and if it does not work, bring it back for a refund.

3. Aug 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Yes, it will work. ;)

4. Aug 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    shootermcgavinyo

shootermcgavinyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockford, IL
    Vehicle:
    '08 double cab 4x4 v6 trd off road
    That kit will work.

5. Aug 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    vwkismet

vwkismet [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 2.7 4cyl. SR5
    Thanks so much for the quick responses. I will give it a shot. BTW, my part number was wrong - it is 755-1589 (which corresponds to Hoppy 43355, which should be the right one).

Thanks again.

6. Aug 14, 2009 at 2:46 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2009. There are a few brands all similar - listed for 2005 + years. There are 2 T connectors that plug into the wiring harness at each tail light after you remove the tail light modules on each side. (remove 2 bolts, yank out backwards smoothly, yet firmly) The junction box for the left/right T connectors is mounted under the truck, so make sure you've spaced your wiring prior to connecting so that one side isn't too short to reach the tail light modules, and the wiring can be routed without kinking later on.

I removed the rear license plate and drilled 2 holes to mount the junction box with stainless steel nuts/washers and bolts. Also put a flap of old inner tube to protect box from winter slush. You might also cover the wiring harness with cable protector to prevent salt and small stone damage. The kits generally come with cable ties, but have a few extra on hand and put some di-electric grease in the wiring junctions when connecting them.

For some reason (LED tail lights?) the 4 way emergency flashers don't work with trailer wiring connection hooked up and energized.

7. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    For some reason (LED tail lights?) the 4 way emergency flashers don't work with trailer wiring connection hooked up and energized.[/quote]

The problem can be bigger than that. I tried a Drawtite harness for the 2009 and an Valley Harness, neither worked right, They both back feed current from the turn signals to the brake lights. Guess what, brake lights control cruise control system and ABS, so neither works right when this backfeed occurs. I talked with manufacturers of the harnesses, Drawtite knew about the problem but sold me the harness anyway, Valeey didn't know it would be a problem.

8. Jan 6, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I ordered etrailers.com's wiring kit in my 2009 and have had no problems of any kind either with or without the trailer being hooked up.

9. Jan 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Have you tried it with the cruise control? When I activated the turn signals, the cruise would release. Sometimes , stepping on the brake would cause the ABS, Slip lights to come on and stay on until the next igniton switch off.
    You might want to have a look at your brake lights when the turn signals are on the see if they blink together. Maybe its related to my 4wd vehicle.

10. Jan 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    The 2009+ models are a little different. Something to do with the L.E.D. tail lights. I strongly recommend the Toyota harness. It doesn't steal power from the tail, it includes a relay, 2 fuses, grommets, ties, and a module that generates it's own signals for the trailer. It also runs the full length of the vehicle. They T-Taps from the aftermarket sometimes work, other times (especially when the trailer has many lights) they don't. Which in itself shows that they are a little risky.
    How much did your truck cost? A proper wiring harness is peanuts......

Products Discussed in

To Top