Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do your vents smell with A/C on?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Negative1 will become famous soon enough

Negative1's Tacoma Gallery
Do your vents smell with A/C on?

I get a weird odor from the A/C on the truck.
Almost smells like condensation (aka water) that has sat in the bottom of the vents for a long time and gives a weird odor when I put the a/c on...

Wondering if anyone else has similar problem, and if there is a solution?
Thanks,
Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
someone said that you can spray lysol into the air return outside of the truck to help with the mildew smell. or just change your cabin air filter
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
BUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZ5's Tacoma Gallery
Turning your AC off & your fan on high a few minutes b4 you shut your engine off will help reduce the odor the next time you start it up & turn the AC on.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Every car does it, there's really no way around it but like BUZZ5 said, you can run your fan full blast to try and dry out the vents but it only works to an extent.
It's just the condensation drying, to totally avoid it you'd probably have to never turn on your A/C.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Phightin Phils 2008 Champs
Niknaq will become famous soon enoughNiknaq will become famous soon enough

Air Force: 1A3
Name: Nick
Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
i have always noticed that smell, even in my brand new taco. I think mostly all toyotas have that musty smell, especially if it happens tobe raining.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknaq View Post
i have always noticed that smell, even in my brand new taco. I think mostly all toyotas have that musty smell, especially if it happens tobe raining.
Although the most prominent time is after your car has been running and your A/C has been too then you shut it off and restart the car like 5 minutes later and then turn on the A/C. While the compressor cools down and the tubes cool down from engine heat or whatnot it is always the worst smelling time for about a minute. Once the condensation in the pipes and everything has evaporated then it goes back to normal non-smelling air. If you really can't stand it then start the car, start the A/C and stand outside for about a minute and you'll be good.
Although I don't think that smell is worth that much trouble.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, mine does it initially when I turn the A/C on - but goes away pretty quickly.

I've gotta check my cabin filter again. They get dirty FAST.

My truck only has 19,000 miles on it. When I had 10,000 miles, I changed the cabin filter and it was DIRTY. So - it's about that time again.
I have two filters now. I install a clean one and wash the dirty one and its ready for the next time.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
Phightin Phils 2008 Champs
Niknaq will become famous soon enoughNiknaq will become famous soon enough

Air Force: 1A3
Name: Nick
Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
i actually like the smell!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Negative1 will become famous soon enough

Negative1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply's guy's...

I checked my cabin filter and its good... nice and clean and has absolutely no smell whatsoever.

The truck has done this since new.. So it has to be something else.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
08 Taco
.Blaine. is on a distinguished road
Name: Blaine
.Blaine.'s Tacoma Gallery
Mine did the exact same thing and it drove me crazy so i took it to the toyota dealership where i bought it and i told them what it was doing and idk what they did to fix it but it dont smell any more!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
SLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the rough

Name: Scott
SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i have that same problem too but i only get it if i've been running the AC for awhile, turn it off, get back in the car 10-15 minutes later or whatever and use the AC again you smell it, i've noticed that if i don't run the AC for awhile and then use it, it works for a bit before i get the smell, idk its kind of random when i get the smell or not it.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
toytaco85 is on a distinguished road
toytaco85's Tacoma Gallery
when i get the smell, i have the a/c run on outside air and it gets it out quick, then switch it back to recirculate the inside air....that works for me
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
The dealer ship has a recommended AC service that cleans the condenser. Fortunately my rep knows I like to DIY all my maintenance so he just gave me the can of cleaning solution to spray on myself.
Pop the hood, turn the A/C on full w/heat and outside air. Spray 3/4 of the bottle into the vents under the hood (black plastic thing, you'll hear it hissing and drawing air in). Don't get in the truck, leave the windows open, the stuff can suffocate you.
Let it run for about 5 min (truck on), then spray the rest of the can in and wait again.
Should eliminate any smells.