1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do your vents smell with A/C on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Negative1, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    Negative1

Negative1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get a weird odor from the A/C on the truck.
    Almost smells like condensation (aka water) that has sat in the bottom of the vents for a long time and gives a weird odor when I put the a/c on...

Wondering if anyone else has similar problem, and if there is a solution?
    Thanks,

2. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    yah its a little smell i got it to did you try to change out the cabin filter?

3. Aug 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    someone said that you can spray lysol into the air return outside of the truck to help with the mildew smell. or just change your cabin air filter

4. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    Turning your AC off & your fan on high a few minutes b4 you shut your engine off will help reduce the odor the next time you start it up & turn the AC on.

5. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Every car does it, there's really no way around it but like BUZZ5 said, you can run your fan full blast to try and dry out the vents but it only works to an extent.
    It's just the condensation drying, to totally avoid it you'd probably have to never turn on your A/C.

6. Aug 13, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    Niknaq

Niknaq Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    i have always noticed that smell, even in my brand new taco. I think mostly all toyotas have that musty smell, especially if it happens tobe raining.

7. Aug 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Although the most prominent time is after your car has been running and your A/C has been too then you shut it off and restart the car like 5 minutes later and then turn on the A/C. While the compressor cools down and the tubes cool down from engine heat or whatnot it is always the worst smelling time for about a minute. Once the condensation in the pipes and everything has evaporated then it goes back to normal non-smelling air. If you really can't stand it then start the car, start the A/C and stand outside for about a minute and you'll be good.
    Although I don't think that smell is worth that much trouble.

8. Aug 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Yeah, mine does it initially when I turn the A/C on - but goes away pretty quickly.

I've gotta check my cabin filter again. They get dirty FAST.

My truck only has 19,000 miles on it. When I had 10,000 miles, I changed the cabin filter and it was DIRTY. So - it's about that time again.
    I have two filters now. I install a clean one and wash the dirty one and its ready for the next time.

9. Aug 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    Niknaq

Niknaq Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    i actually like the smell!

10. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Negative1

Negative1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply's guy's...

I checked my cabin filter and its good... nice and clean and has absolutely no smell whatsoever.

The truck has done this since new.. So it has to be something else. :cool:

11. Aug 18, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    .Blaine.

.Blaine. 08 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaine
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Red TRD
    Chrome Mesh grille, Chrome door handles, Chrome mirrors, 5% tint all around, Euro tail lights, Running boards, bed rails
    Mine did the exact same thing and it drove me crazy so i took it to the toyota dealership where i bought it and i told them what it was doing and idk what they did to fix it but it dont smell any more!

12. Aug 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    SLOH

SLOH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    yeah i have that same problem too but i only get it if i've been running the AC for awhile, turn it off, get back in the car 10-15 minutes later or whatever and use the AC again you smell it, i've noticed that if i don't run the AC for awhile and then use it, it works for a bit before i get the smell, idk its kind of random when i get the smell or not it.

13. Aug 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    toytaco85

toytaco85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    96' 4x4 single cab
    when i get the smell, i have the a/c run on outside air and it gets it out quick, then switch it back to recirculate the inside air....that works for me

14. Aug 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    The dealer ship has a recommended AC service that cleans the condenser. Fortunately my rep knows I like to DIY all my maintenance so he just gave me the can of cleaning solution to spray on myself.
    Pop the hood, turn the A/C on full w/heat and outside air. Spray 3/4 of the bottle into the vents under the hood (black plastic thing, you'll hear it hissing and drawing air in). Don't get in the truck, leave the windows open, the stuff can suffocate you.
    Let it run for about 5 min (truck on), then spray the rest of the can in and wait again.
    Should eliminate any smells.

Products Discussed in

To Top