1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap/Free Mods

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by piercedtiger, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dec 31, 2007 at 6:55 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger [OP] Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Added link to download Toyota FSM's on first post. ( )

2. Dec 31, 2007 at 8:13 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I've had a lot of people ask how I mounted my Hi-Lift jack, and I can't believe I forgot about it doing this thread!

Parts/tools needed:
    • 2 pieces of angle iron around 4-5" long
    • 2 1/4"x1.5" bolts or machine screws (I used 1/4-20 machine screws and nuts)
    • 2 1/4"x3" bolts/machine scews (I think I used 1/4-20's here too)
    • 6 lock nuts (same size and thread as the bolts/screws above)
    • 2 wing nuts (same deal as the lock nuts)
    • 2 1" diameter (IIRC) washers - just check that they fit into the bar on the Hi-Lift
    • 2 - 1"x2" aluminum blocks or something that will fit inside the tie down rails to hold the bolts/machine screws. You might be able to use heavy washers and cut so you have 2 flat sides to prevent them from rotating inside the rail.
    • 1/4" titanium drill bit (don't bother trying steel bits with angle iron unless you have extras or can sharpen them)
    • drill
    • cut off grinder or a metal saw (sawzalls suck, I went through blades like crazy with little progress)
    • 1/4" wrench
    Here it is mounted in the bed, but this would work on any of the side rails. My original cover blocked both side rails, so that's why it's there!
    th_DSCF1259_55d67aa8eca30ff22c0e10ad327bdc8366b0c5ef.jpg

These are the brackets, left then right.
    th_jackleft_e5642b4b3c67a7be0c07f3502fbf7bb15ed3fa8a.jpgth_jackright_da71b6e45daf27529e7390116cf0aa2b8e0e0acf.jpg

You can see the aluminum blocks behind each bracket. They each have 1 1/4-20 machine screw through the hole in the center with 1 lock nut prevent the screw from turning while mounting the bracket. The bracket then goes on with another lock nut.

The left bracket was notched to bring the jack in closer while the right one could not be cut due the jack base. Again, both screws/bolts have a lock nut to keep them in place. The jack is place over the screws through the bar, washer placed over the screw, and wing nuts tightened. Easy to remove without tools, but holds solid even while offroading. I used to hear a rattle and tighten them, but the jack sitting on the washers has actually cut small notches in the screws which helps lock it on.

An optional variation would be to use perforated angle steel (galvanized pieces around 3ft long sell at hardware stores for $10 or less). It would already have holes in it to cut down the labor, but you'd need more washers or larger bolts/nuts. It would probably be easier to work with too. The angle iron I got from scrap bed frames was a real PITA to work with. I tried a sawzall, torch, hack saw, and small cutoff grinder until I bought a cheap chop saw from a tool show. That does all my big cutting, and the cutoff grinder does the smaller work now. A grinder with sanding disk would be good to clean up the edges if you want. I didn't bother.

3. Jan 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    A flashback to the 70's :rasta:

The rear drums come factory black and the rotors up front silver. Both noticable through the rims. Removing the rear tires also shows signs of rust on the outside of the drums due to the factory not coating the complete drum black - leaving rust stains on my garage floor.

I pulled both rear drums off and cleaned/sanded them and painted them with a top quality heat resistant paint. I masked/papered off the front rotors and cleaned/lightly scuffed them and painted them as well.

My truck is impulse pearl red so I chose a red that closely matches my paint and now with the wheels on looks sportier. Total cost $8 and 1 hr. (30 minutes if you leave the beer breaks till completion :drunk:)

I'm on a trip away from home and will post some pics when I return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My opinion, but think it looks better than silver calipers and black rear brake hub. Now I cann't wait to get my new rims and tires!

4. Jan 1, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Let us know how that holds up! I did it to my Corolla and the paint seemed to bond the wheels to the rotors and drums so they were a PITA to get back off. I could see imprints in the paint where the wheels hit. May have been the rust, may have been the paint. I'm not sure, but it took a sledge hammer to break them loose. Luckily they were steelies. Maybe I didn't let the paint dry enough.

5. Jan 1, 2008 at 4:58 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    No one has any proof yet if this does anything, but I noticed a few things after taking mine off: faster acceleration (had a slight lag before), and better idling. And it's free so why not! :laugh:

Just pop open the air filter box like you're checking/replacing the air filter. On the engine side there's a second filter. Looks like this: (not my pic, mine's been out almost 2 years now)
    th_secondairfilter2_d3a1f4761c76d8795554fcfb7d51333e47ec4fff.jpg

It's held in with plastic melt rivets (or whatever they're called). Just cut them off, drill them out or pry the filter off. Just make sure you don't get any debris in the intake.

More info here: DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Jwebb352 likes this.
  6. Jan 1, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    [​IMG]
    Hey tiger im glad to see s/w else has a hilift jack too. i thought i was the only one. looks good man.

7. Jan 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Good place for it isn't it! :D I've used it a couple times to get unstuck, but it's always there IF I need it. :laugh: I've used it more around my house and my grandparents' house. I'd like to get a winch kit to make it more useful.

8. Jan 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    yeah i like it the way u mounted. ALOT cheaper than mine. i broke down an bought the mounts. 25 bucks......... ive used mine COUNTLESS times as a winch when i had nothin else to use. this was way back before i got a 07. i had a 98. lotta uses!!!

9. Jan 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here is a bar I made to prevent the rear slider from being opened by "persons unknown." It is aluminum strap, 2" wide (1/8" thick) and I cut mine to 10 1/2" long. Allows the rear window to open just about 3/4" not enough for someone to get their hand into but enough for some air flow. I painted it black to blend to the seat back through the tinted rear window.

Tacoma CB 001 (Medium).jpg
    SliderSafetyMod 001 (Large).jpg
    SliderSafetyMod 002 (Large).jpg
    SliderSafetyMod 003 (Large).jpg

10. Jan 1, 2008 at 6:23 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    ^Nice! Looks sharp and cheap! Assuming you can buy aluminum fairly cheap at most hardware stores (lowes, home depot, etc) in that size. (added to T.O.C.)

11. Jan 1, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It is a borderline "cheap" mod these days. Aluminum is more expensive than steel now. A 2' or 3' piece will probably cost about 10.00. (but cheap insurance)

Thanks Tiger, and keep up the good work!

12. Jan 1, 2008 at 7:24 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Here's another cheap one I ran across that PB/PB2themax came up with. Just requires some wire, splices, and 2 relays.

It makes the side marker lights blink opposite to the turn signals (signals on, markers off. signals off, markers on)

This video demonstrates it: Tacoma MarkerBlinker Mod - Putfile.com

Here's how to wire it up. Seems fairly self explanatory.
    th_blinkermodrelayjz0_3795e42d278dff8f467e8953547cfc955c31c27f.jpg

From PB's post on TN ( Side Markers Acting as Turn Signal (video) - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation )

BlackandWhite likes this.
  13. Jan 1, 2008 at 9:09 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    why isn't spraypainting the wheels on the cheap mod list?!?! i INVENTED it!

14. Jan 1, 2008 at 9:26 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Thanks as I appreciate your input and opinion.

I hear what you are saying and agree that if I was a heavy hauler, hot shot off the line and heavy on the breaking it might make a noticeable difference. But with normal driving won't hurt or function differently. On the drums it's a thin even layer not enough to make a noticable difference in heat compared to the factory coating. For the rotors nothing to add as the disks aren't painted and dissimpate the heat as the front is the majority of the braking power. NOW CHROME is a different matter and will flake off when the drums heat up! And I never had a problem with my '73 Chevy Nova when I was growing up. Plus it looks good :cool: .

As for my computer, I don't have a heat sink - I have a copper water block as it's water cooled and over clocked :D

Thanks again.

TicTacToy99 likes this.
  15. Jan 1, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    We should also add the tailgate theft prevention methods. A pop-n-lock is about $50. The other option is installing a pipe clamp around the tailgate pivot (the one that lifts off and doesn't slide out.) You get extra theft prevention if you access the bolt on the clamp from the bottom side of the truck.

16. Jan 2, 2008 at 7:29 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. The hose clamp can be added. I'll see if I can find some good pics since I never did it, but I can't recommend the pop n lock. Mine lasted less than 1 year and ended up in the trash when I couldn't get the key in the hole. One winter's worth of road salt, sand, and snow jammed the lock so bad I couldn't get the key in or anything else to clean it out. I got a paper clip part way in, but it was like carving a hole in a sand sculpture. No way I was going to open it up enough to get the key in and free up the mechanism.

I just don't feel right about recommending that as a mod, and then have someone go through what I did. Had I locked it some point during the winter I would have been forced to break into my own tailgate, literally.

17. Jan 2, 2008 at 7:33 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Do you have a write up somewhere? With parts and supplies needed? Like prep work, paint type used, etc? If you do feel free to post it all up, and I'll add it to the table of contents in the first post. I've heard of people doing it, and they used something to strip the factory paint off. And some other steps I'm not familiar with.

nibster11111 likes this.
  18. Jan 2, 2008 at 8:21 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  19. Jan 2, 2008 at 8:47 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    ^thanks! Added to the TOC.

20. Jan 2, 2008 at 12:00 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    nice thread tiger, i'll have to look over it more carefully wheni have alot of free time!

Joploblem likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top