Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cargo crossbars that fit rail system?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
Cargo crossbars that fit rail system?

Local dealer says the cargo bars are no longer in their system and they can't order them. I know Yakima makes a cargo bar/rack system but that's several hundred dollars, and a bit nicer than I need.

I'm looking to put a Yakima or Thule bike rack on bars that will hopefully sit level with the top of the bed and utilize the rail system as their attachment point. Are they any inexpensive options out there?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Aaron,I have a set of the cargo bars attached to my rail system and they came with the attachments for rack accessories.It was really affordable and very practical....I would advise calling around to other dealers.They've got to be out there.Check my gallery for a couple of pics of my bike mounted back there.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
The pic of your road bike is exactly what I want to do (except leave the front wheel on). I'll call around, I can't believe they would have discontinued them...
Old 08-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah,that has to do with the bike rack you choose....Mine are fork mount but there are lots that allow you to leave the wheel on.I am surprised that they would be discontinued as well,but even if they have,there has to be stock around....Want me to check the East Coast for you?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
I think I might have found a pair, part number showed in the system of the other dealer I called. Should be here Tuesday
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard from several different sources regarding the cross bars that Toyota may no longer be offering them as an accessory however they are still listed on the Toyota.com site as an accessory. May be something new for 2010 though. Personally I have them and love the fact that I can attach Thule trays to them with no modifications or adaptors. If you find some of my early threads though you'll find the frustration I had though with Toyota and Yakima as you can't get extra clips for adding accessories. It's been like that since the 05's as the clips Yakima says fit the cross bars don't. Also the fact that the bars are only rated for 50# each limits their ability to carry anything but a few bikes. If you find some plan to go with Thule bike trays as they fit very well. Forget Yakima as you'll have a PITA time trying to find anything that fits properly.

Here's a pic of my setup. I have added a third tray since this pic and carry three bikes now. If you plan to leave the front wheel on then plan to have them stick out over the rear of the bed if you have a short bed like my truck.