Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do I get more HP?

Old 08-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Casey is on a distinguished road
Name: Casey
Casey's Tacoma Gallery
How do I get more HP?

I have an access cab 2008 tacoma, 2.7 4 banger with 265/70 cooper discoverer mud tires installed. I have a K&N cold air intake which helped a little bit. I live in WV.....so I go up and down mountains constantly. My larger tires cause me to not have enough power to make it up these hills and I lose alot of speed. I know I could get a better exhaust system, but anytime you hear the 4 bangers with an exhaust, it sounds like a pissed off bumble bee, or a suped up weedeater. I do NOT want to change the gear ratio either. I would really like to find some sort of computer chip that actually works that changes the mapping in my computer. If anybody, who has a 4 banger.....knows any way to crank out more HP, please let me know.....Thanks.

Casey.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
ditch the K&N, wait for a supercharger to be released and search around in the Performance/Tuning or the builds sections.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Doug thorley headers seem to be the best way. If you add up a cai, rmv the 2nd filter go synthetic oils ... everything but a supercharger, the headers ,from what im hearing , get you more hp than the rest combined. I like my 4banger, but after all u can gain, it will still be a 4banger, with just a few more hp.
I want my headers! lol
Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
Let this guy help with the horse power
Old 08-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Only proven methods are to get new header or slap a supercharger on it. That nickel and dime crap won't get you much.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yup, fun to tinker with though, i cant tell 1 way or the other if the 2nd filter pulled did anything. I wish a cai and a performance muffler would get me hp on my 2.7, but I haven't actually seen a dyno chart showing the 2 getting say 2,4, or 6 hp gains.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Matt Stephen is on a distinguished road

Matt Stephen's Tacoma Gallery
they make a turbo kit that boosts your hp up tp about the same a a v6 trd tacoma... always run the risk of blowing a motor with turbo though... maybe trade it in for a v6? i had a 4 banger jeep wrangler that was lifted and loved it except when going through West Virginia... too many hills too little hp. RIP 95 Wrangler!
Old 08-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
senile member

Rumor of a s/c for the 2.7 , from URD have been around, i like the idea of a mild setup with minimal modding what little i know about them , I think 4psi would work.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
SEARCH
Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
senile member

"search" is how URD and s/c keep coming up lol. On the other hand "search" can get u any answer u want... then truth becomes the victim.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I have an access cab 2008 tacoma, 2.7 4 banger with 265/70 cooper discoverer mud tires installed. I have a K&N cold air intake which helped a little bit. I live in WV.....so I go up and down mountains constantly. My larger tires cause me to not have enough power to make it up these hills and I lose alot of speed. I know I could get a better exhaust system, but anytime you hear the 4 bangers with an exhaust, it sounds like a pissed off bumble bee, or a suped up weedeater. I do NOT want to change the gear ratio either. I would really like to find some sort of computer chip that actually works that changes the mapping in my computer. If anybody, who has a 4 banger.....knows any way to crank out more HP, please let me know.....Thanks.

Casey.
Some of the suggestions above will cost more than if you just trade it in for a V-6 .
Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
Matt Stephen is on a distinguished road

Matt Stephen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Some of the suggestions above will cost more than if you just trade it in for a V-6 .
what he said!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
senile member

what gas.. my 2.7 doesnt seem to use any
Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Casey is on a distinguished road
Name: Casey
Casey's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to get a v6, but I drive 2 hours one way to work. Not only that, I would hate to buy a new truck because I work on a surface mine, and the roads on a strip job beat the crap out of a truck. I already have around 60K on my truck, so it is already broken inn. It seems to be impossible to get more HP without losing mileage. Maybe I should just put the extra money in my tacoma and just not take it back and forth to work. I should just buy a used car that gets good gas mileage and take that back and forth to work. Well, are there any other ways that you all know of to get my hp? Another reason I would like to stick with the 2.7 is because they have tweaked that engine so much that they have it down perfect. You always hear of the 2.7 tacoma's always outlasting the other vehicles. Very rarely do you see one blow up before it hits 300K. Any time you see the old ones, the beds are rusted through, and the truck if falling apart, but the engine is holding up as if its bran new. I definitely envy the hp that you all who own the v6 have.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Any time you get an increase of power, your fuel economy will go down. That's just how it is. You can find better balances to power/economy with some setups... but if you want more power, that means you want to push it harder, which means burning more fuel. There isn't a lot of room for minor power gains on these engines as they're tuned pretty well from the factory, so without forced induction (super charger/turbo) you're kinda suck... Sorry :/
Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a 4.0L, problem solved
Old 08-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
senile member

if my tacoma had 600 hp, a lot of us would stick our grubby hands in it to try n get 25 more hp. 4.0 is good , for my driving the 2.7 is good 'nuff and a bit more.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Phightin Phils 2008 Champs
Niknaq will become famous soon enoughNiknaq will become famous soon enough

Air Force: 1A3
Name: Nick
Niknaq's Tacoma Gallery
doug thorley headers will increase hp/torque enough. I would look into that if i were you.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
URBIKESUCKS is on a distinguished road

Army: US ARMY RECRUITER GATEWAY MALL
Name: Ron
URBIKESUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
get the headers

I am looking at theses as well and I have a V6 W/only 7.5k