1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

is a high idle speed normal for a cold engine start on auto trans. V6?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wes, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dec 28, 2007 at 8:56 PM
    wes

wes [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    what is normal idle speed for a cold engine start around 50-70 deg. far.?
    mine seems high .

2. Dec 29, 2007 at 3:58 AM
    fitter565

fitter565 Active Member

Member:
    Yes it's normal. It will have a high idle at any temp outside. When you first start your truck your comp is in open loop, which means its running with no help from the o2 sensors. As it warms up the sensors start sending info to the comp and the idle will settle down to the factory settings. This isn't a real good explanation but it will give you an idea of whats going on.

3. Dec 29, 2007 at 6:11 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I agree with fitter565, but how high is it ? Also have ever started the engine in cold temps, let it warm up and it not lower the revs automatically ?
    Oh yeah Go Mountaineers !

4. Dec 29, 2007 at 7:58 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    it is normal. it is the same as when there were carbs instead of computer controlled fuel injection. when it was cold and the choke would be closed it would idle high till it warmed up. most of u are probably to young to remember carbs, lol

5. Dec 30, 2007 at 3:53 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    It is normal, even in hot weather. Is it true that the pedal to the metal will cut the fuel and one can pre oil it with the starter motor?

6. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:23 AM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    preoiling is done with a seperate pump system or primer if you will...all of the gallies and journals get filled with presure via a pump and dry sump and then and only then do you spin the motor via the electric starter motor....My dads boat bilge starting procedures goes like this..(it has a sump preoiler)
    1st.. turn on bilge fan (blows out fumes)
    2nd..turn on preoiler (presurize journals to motors, verify via gauges)
    3rd..spin motors (electric starter motors)
    4th..turn on fuel pumps (adds inj pulse and spark)
    it is known as a dry sump system..the engine oil is in a seperate hopper and the oil pan on the engines are ony low enough to clear the throw of the crank pins so that the engines sit lower in the bilge..The whole idea of preoilingis to prevent dry runs on bearings and in turn save wear on the motor. I feel the best way to acomplish this in a cars motor is to use good oil preferably a synthetic. If an engine was stored for a long time one could buy a preoiler and tap into a port on the engine via the OPS opening and just air over oil presure fill it then spin it....

7. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:34 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don`t have to tell you how hard dry,cold starts are on an engine.
    I have been unable to find a pre oiler for the1GR 4.0L.
    And I have asked. Evidently, the wrong folks.

8. Dec 30, 2007 at 9:22 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    All of my cars as far as I can remember idle higher when first fired up with cold engine, then drop to normal after about 30 seconds or so. Like the other guy said, kinda like choke on an old carb engine. When my 350Z is really cold, it will shoot up to about 2,700, then fall back down to normal 900 rpm's after about 45 seconds.

9. Dec 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM
    wes

wes [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    thanks for all the input guys.i was thinking the loop on the ecm was not as sensitive to warmer outside temps as it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top